“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #229 of 1,063 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here in both March and April this year. While the hotel is beautiful, the staff are probably some of the best I've come across at any hotel. The hotel itself is in great shape and in a fantastic location. The gym is large, modern and very well stocked. My only disappointment was the fact that the Lounge was closed. I was a little surprised that they didn't make some alternative arrangements. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TK S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First of all the hotel is very well located, 5 minutes walk from marble arch and the beginning of Oxford street. 15 minutes walk to Buckingham palace. The staff is nice, friendly and helpful. We got a free upgrade on arrival to an executive room. The room itself was quite spacious, clean and the bathroom very huge. On the down side, the matress was way too soft and old, to my opinion not good enough for a 5* hotel. No plugs beside the beds. The corridors seem to be never ending, it gives a very inpersonnal feeling. We used the rest rooms in the reception hall and they were very dirty, very surprising for such a high standard hotel, and very disapointing too.
On the overall it was a good stay, but nothing special, I've stayed in far nicer 3 or 4* Marriott hotels!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Noya24
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review here on TripAdvisor, your comments are sincerely appreciated.

Rest assured I will be sharing your feedback with the relevant department managers for their internal follow up and review.

You may be pleased to know that Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel is proudly celebrating it's 85th Anniversary this year. We will shortly be embarking on a renovation of our Executive Lounge, Suites and Guest Rooms; enhancing the elegance of our quintessentially British design and preserving our rich heritage, whilst upgrading our facilities to meet the modern needs of our valued guests.

Thank you once again and we do hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel serves the grandeur of Britain. The service and staff is at its best all the time. Location is very convenient for all purposes.
The executive suites are 700 sq ft studios which look like they are right out of the queens palace. Food, alcohol, wifi and lounge access is on the house. Felt like a king on the trip. If you can't pay for it then make sure to convince the staff to upgrade you to it. :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kunal K
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review here on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you experienced such wonderful service.

I am also pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the Elite benefits of upgrading your reservation to one of our Executive Suites, that does indeed include access to our exclusive Executive Lounge features at a premium.

We look forward to welcoming you again and do hope you elect to upgrade your reservation again to enjoy the benefits of our soon to be refurbished Executive Lounge.

Sincere regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Firstly its location. The hotel is situated halfway down Park Lane opposite Hyde Park. turn right as you go out of the hotel and within a 10 min stroll you are at the beginning of Oxford Street, Marble Arch end with an awful of shops to visit. Turn left and you walk towards Piccadilly Circus which is slightly longer, half an hour to maybe three quarters of an hour stroll.

At the hotel the check-in was straightforward and fairly quick. We were given an upgrade due to my birthday being on 27 April a pleasant gesture from the hotel. We stayed in a room on the second floor with dual aspect from our room. Very clean with an extremely large bed bathroom and rain forest shower truly amazing.

The most enjoyable and important part of this hotel is the J.W. steak restaurant. Being a first time customer we were warmly welcomed and shown to our table. Fernando our waiter for the evening not only greeted us with a smile but introduced us to the menu and suggested our approach to menu. Throughout the evening he was very attentive. If there is only one reason to stay at this hotel, it is to enjoy the food which is served in a very ambient atmosphere. A big plus for this establishment. Suffice to say the food was of excellent quality and presentation, and tasted really good as well!

We were very lucky to stay in central London in a quiet room secondary glazing plus the option of opening windows to allow fresh air into the room.

Experience in the bathroom under the rainforest shower was truly amazing.

Breakfast once again greeted with smiles and welcome. Breakfast is also extremely extensive. I do prefer the option of self-serve. Also cooked to order pancakes eggs and waffles. Orange juice extremely good the overall atmosphere in the breakfast area was good. Food selection would suit all tastes.

Check out - we were greeted by Anne on front desk.Once again with a smile and a speedy checkout. The only downside which I mentioned at checkout and some think I find very unusual in these times is a charge for Wi-Fi which is the only criticism I can make about this hotel. in this modern day, they should not charge for Wi-Fi connection. A good idea to get round this would be to check out the mobile phone shops in Oxford Street and get a dongle with a pay-as-you go - could work out cheaper than the hotel

That apart would definitely recommend staying in this hotel

1 Thank alipet558
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a review with regards to your recent stay with us here at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel.

I am glad to hear that you found our location to be most useful with regards to navigating your way through London. I am also pleased to read that Anne from our Front Desk team, was able to leave a most pleasant and lasting impression upon your departure.

At the moment we do still charge for internet services in our guest rooms, but I am sure you will be pleased to know that complimentary wifi is offered in our lobby and public areas on the main floor of the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again and thank you once again for your wonderful review!

Kindest regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The accommodations are very good, though the mattress I had was too soft and old. The food and restaurant staff were disappointing. One meal I took in the lounge was a disaster -- couldn't get any one to wait on me, shish kebab was not edible, food quality low. Based on my experience, I would recommend staying here but eating elsewhere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bostonian80
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am most disappointed to read that your dining experiences were not as you had hoped. Please do accept my sincere apologies in this regard.

You may be pleased to know that we are currently in the process of upgrading our Executive Lounge which will offer additional comfortable seating as well as new menu offerings once completed.

I do hope you elect to stay with us again and thank you once again for sharing your valued feedback with us.

Kindest of regards,

Peterborough, England
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here just one night sadly, but can highly recommend this hotel.We were upgraded on checking in to an Executive room, which was lovely. All staff were friendly and courteous. The Concierge staff went out of their way to help. We had breakfast in the Steakhouse and the staff were some of the most efficient and friendly people we have come across. Nothing was too much trouble for them. We have stayed in many Marriott hotels over the years, and this is one of the best! Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I am most pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our talented team of associates were able to extend an efficient and sincere service to you.

I will be sure to share you kind comments with the JW Steakhouse team and I am delighted to read that your stay overall was as perfect as you were hoping for.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend ahead and thank you again for your comments.

Kind regards,

Northampton
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is probably our 4th stay at Grosvenor House and the grandeur never ceases to amaze me from the moment you walk in from the lush reception area, to the gorgeous Library and Park Room. During our last stay on 12th & 13th April we had a beautiful room overlooking Park Lane & Hyde Park - I could not have been happier! I adored the Art Deco style bathroom, which has an amazing shower. Obviously being a Marriott brand hotel the bed was very comfortable. The housekeeping staff were very attentive. The hotel is opposite Hyde Park which afforded us the opportunity of a long stroll on a sunny Spring evening and being in Mayfair meant we were close to Oxford Street & Edgeware Road and some other lovely gems in the area. Sadly we could not have dinner in JW Steakhouse as they were fully booked - there is always next time! This is a gorgeous hotel and we will certainly be returning - hopefully soon!!

Room Tip: If possible a Park Lane view, it can be a bit noisy but the view is worth it.