“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #208 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have stayed at this hotel several times and enjoy the old world charm and perfect London location. The lobby however can be chaotic with various groups staying at the hotel and not enough front staff to handle them all. The rooms are not uniform so getting a good one is important. That being said the good rooms are very nicely decorated, and the bathrooms are great with the best water pressure. David and the Concierge was outstanding and was able to get us into the best restaurants in Mayfair.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Dubin115

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel has a lovely secluded entrance and a garage across the road if required. The staff are welcoming and efficient and we had a lovely suite overlooking Park Lane and Hyde Park. The decor and fixtures and fittings are generally highest quality and the hotel has a luxurious but solid feel. The hotel is maintained to very high standards and you will struggle to find anything tired or damaged - which is quite an achievement considering the size of the property. The meeting and event rooms are really first rate. We slept very well and breakfast was a delight with a wide selection of high quality food and beverages all served professionally and promptly in the most part.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dunc s
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I travel for both work and pleasure and London is one of those cities that I frequently find myself in. I have stayed at this hotel several dozen times over the years. I look forward to the end of the taxi ride from Heathrow, passing Hyde Park, wrapping back around Park Street and into the gated drive up to the front doors whose entry have graced many distinguished guests. i like the wide entry, the library sitting area where you can still enjoy a good book by the fire late at night, and the champagne bar. The last time I was there in March, when I entered the room, I found a birthday cake waiting for me with a note from the manager. Small touches like these male you realize how entirely personal this operation feels. Yes, I've seen the changes through the years, I miss the old restaurant. I miss the meeting room inside the executive lounge that was so convenient for a quick meeting. But the bones, the friendliness of the staff, and the attention to detail are still there. For personal travel, I also stay here. The environment is just so relaxing. I love walking and running and the area is very conducive to that. Short walks to Regents street, Bond street, Selfridges or a nice run through Hyde park. I believe that a stay here for vacation is part of the quintessential experience to London. I wish to thank the staff for creating the space where both work and pleasure can be so easily combined.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Since my last visit to the Grosvenor House, a couple of years ago, much has changed. The staff has, if possible, become even more obsequious, and even more Eastern European and, it must be said, poorly equipped for their day jobs. The room I had was a joke--literally 9 feet by 18 feet--I paced it off to be certain--and the wireless internet did not work. I had to shimmy by the end of my queen sized bed. There was no place to sit, in reality, other than at the desk. The bedding was still quite fine. The room service was much longer than I remember last time, even though the menu has improved a bit. The most amazing thing was that when I ordered breakfast--coffee and orange juice--they forgot the orange juice??? Hello? The plumbing and air conditioning all worked (not to be taken for granted in England). Check out took forever--one person checking out a line, literally, of 10 people. The concierge was hopeless--a simple question--"where is the nearest Amex office?"--was met with, "oh, you don't want to go there, let me tell you where you ought to go." When the quarterback says go around left end, go around left end. It was hard to believe.

I am not saying it is off my list, but it is no where near the top anymore. The place has changed, and mediocritized, if that is a word. At a cost of 199 pounds per night, one ought to get more than this. Buyer beware.

Room Tip: Don't accept a closet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for taking time to complete a review of your recent return stay with us at Grosvenor House, A JW marriott Hotel.

I am disappointed to read that you found your stay no to expectations. It is regrettable to learn that you found the service levels not up to standard and for that I truly apologize. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on.

Should you wish to share more observations with regards to your experience, please feel free to reach out to me via inbox message, I would be most appreciative of hearing your further feedback.

Thank you once again for your valuable comments.

Kindest regards,

Morten Skumsrud
Hotel Manager
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Really good service.
Very clean and comfortable hotel.
Easy to explore London.
Internet service was satisfactory.
Room was nice - no complaints.
Perfect for business or personal.
Will definitely return in near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Great Location opposite Hyde Park.Rooms are not particularly big but huge bed and very comfortable with the usual Marriott bed linen which I love. On the 6th floor, quiet. Slightly irritating that every area we went we were told we couldn't have a drink as we hadn't booked a table so we left to find somewhere else for our pre-theatre lunch and drink. Had a lovely dinner in the Steak Bar and then couldn't get a table in the lounge or library for an after dinner drink..The Red Bar is great but we didn't want to go back in there. All the tables were 'busy' !! Empty but busy! Breakfast was excellent. Nothing cheap about this hotel but I would go back and make sure I booked tables in every room! Most of the staff are friendly and welcoming particularly in reception, the Steakhouse and in the Red Bar.

Room Tip: Room 622 - corner room with great views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed just one night this week, with friends.

We had a wonderful time, location perfect. All members of staff were very professional, friendly, courteous and helpful. One of the chambermaids showed us a much quicker route to the lifts. Even when one of the bars was closing we were shown to another seating area within the hotel to continue and finish our drinks.

Our room was huge by British sizes, the bed was really comfortable, the room had every amenity. The quality of the food served was really good.

I can highly recommend this hotel, it is excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends