“Wonderful staff that went the extra mile” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #210 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Roselle, Illinois
“Wonderful staff that went the extra mile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel and restaurant staff were very friendly and thoroughly professional. The neighborhood is beautiful -- the hotel is very stately and traditional on the outside and comfortably modern and relaxing on the inside. We had many questions for the concierge and staff, and all were attended to with a positive, polished manner. Loved eating breakfast in the cafe...food was wonderful and the staff delightful. The best, however, came when we arrived home and I was missing a souvenir. I emailed to inquire and it had actually turned up in the lobby and was being held by security. The office staff made arrangements and shipped it to me. It was a Christmas tree ornament, so not hugely valuable, but it will remind me not only of our trip to London, but also of the kindness of people who live there.

The only detail that keeps me from calling the Value "excellent," too, was that we used mega points to stay here 6 nights, which was great, but paid GPB 45 per night extra for a "view"...probably did not need to do that. Was scenic no matter which way you looked out! Definitely want to go back to London and the Marriott Grosvenor Square is top of my list for lodging!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the JW Marriott Grosvenor House from 5 April to 12 April 2014. Every aspect of our stay at Grosvenor House was absolutely perfect!

First, you can’t beat the location. It is situated right across the street from Hyde Park and just a short walk to Buckingham Palace, the U.S. Embassy, Marble Arch, and Wellington Arch. If you like to walk, all of central London is easily accessible from Grosvenor House, including Big Ben, the London Eye, National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Harrods, Natural History Museum and much, much more! If you aren’t up for walking to all of this, there is a bus stop just a two minute walk down Park Lane. Also, getting to the hotel from the airport is a breeze. The Piccadilly Line runs directly from Heathrow to Hyde Park Corner without having to change trains.

Secondly, the staff is amazing. Ricky in concierge helped us book a day trip to Paris. We were planning to book the train on Eurostar’s website, but he was able to get us a better price for the train with a riverboat cruise AND access to the second level of the Eiffel Tower. Ricky got us all this for less than we could book just the train on Eurostar’s website. He also helped us find the best pubs and routes to all of our destinations.

Beata in the Executive Lounge was so kind. She quietly and efficiently made sure we were completely comfortable. Stephen Nash was another employee who was extremely courteous and helpful. We met him on our last day when we were headed to the elevator with our luggage. He immediately sensed our needs and offered to help with our bags and asked if we wanted a water bottle for our trip. These 3 employees are just a small sampling of the incredible staff at Grosvenor House. I didn't get all of the room attendants names (7th floor) but every encounter with every person was an absolute pleasure! We loved seeing them smiling in the morning only to quietly disappear and magically refresh our room each day at just the right time.

Food in the executive lounge and in the JW Steakhouse were fantastic!

Lastly, the hotel is immaculate. Even though it is a historic building, it is very modern and clean. The bathrooms are spotless and updated with features such as towel warmers, rain showerheads, and bidets. Most importantly, the bed was very comfortable and the linens and towels were sparkling white.

We cant wait to return.

Room Tip: Higher floor on the back side of the hotel for a view of the London Eye and Shard
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Great Neck, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed for a week, it was a nice experience, people at the hotel were always nice adn helpful, service was good, room always clean and good size, easy to get to any place from there. The food was good.

1 Thank RaiCharles
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in a whole suite for my Husbands retirement. We were made very welcome, the room was clean and comfortable. Mini bar with chocolates, crisps, drink at a cost was in the room. Also a safe was available which I think is a charge for (we did not use it). Beds are turned down for you. There a few restaurants within the hotel, we ate in the Steak House and the meal was worth every penny. If you want to go to a place and be spoilt, I would recommend it. I loved every bit of my stay. Room was double glazed so you could not hear any of the traffic or people walking by.

Room Tip: Because of the double glazed rooms, you cannot hear any traffic noise or people walking by.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
I am most pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; your review is greatly appreciated.

With regards to your comment about the in room safe, please do note that these are free of charge, please do feel free to utilize fully during your next visit with us. Any of our associates may be called upon should you require assistance or have any questions. We do hope that you decide to visit us again on your next trip to London.

With kind regards,

Morten Skumsrud
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

I haven't stayed at Grosvenor House (Yet) however I wanted to share my very recent experience with their staff. I needed to take some photographs of the front of the hotel and I wanted to check beforehand that this will be ok with the hotel management. A very friendly lady (I believe her name was Clemence) very helpful and approachable, she allowed me to take photographs and was very professional. You almost always expect weird looks when you're not dressed appropriately in such a place, but herself and some other members of staff (including the doorman) were just lovely. I live in London but will consider to book a night at Grosvenor to see how does the rest look like. The gentleman in Starbucks in Grosvenor was also extremely professional and I have seriously never experienced such an amazing service in a Starbucks before.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
new york city
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I used 135,000 Marriott Reward points for a 3 night stay at the Grosvenor House. They have the best concierge staff in London. Housekeeping and engineering are the worst. Shortly after getting to the room my wife had an asthma attack. I took down the filter for the central heating and found it was full of dust as was the second filter on the fan unit. The outlet duct grille was also covered in dust and the ceiling above it was darkened with the dirt blowing out of the unit. After the filters were washed, not replaced, my wife's breathing was better. The next morning we woke with back aches from the mattress that was sagging in the middle. I asked the guest relations representative to have the mattress changed for a firmer mattress. When we returned we were told the mattress had been changed. That night the sagging mattress was the same. We asked again for a newer, firmer mattress but please do not insert a bed board. We returned to find a raw wood bed board to which my wife is allergic. When we had the bed board room I noted that the tag on the mattress showed it was purchased 4/4/08. No wonder it sagged. Six years of hotel use is far beyond the expected life of a basic mattress. When I again requested a newer mattress I was told that this was the best housekeeping had.

So my recommendation is to save your reward points or your money for a hotel with newer mattresses and regular maintenance schedules that are actually followed. We will miss the great concierge service and location, but we need to breath and sleep in peace.

5 Thank 10022traveler
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

As you have already raised your observations via various channels, it is regrettable to hear that you experienced the mentioned issues during your return visit to our hotel and for which I must apologize.

At Grosvenor House, we strive to ensure all of our guests enjoy a wonderful stay, it is unfortunate that you were impacted by the mattress and buildup of dust on your guest room air conditioning unit.

Should your travels bring you back to London, please do not hesitate to contact my office directly, so we may ensure you have a memorable experience for all the right reasons.

Regards,

Morten Skumsrud
Hotel Manager
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Highly recommended, beautiful and well located across the street from Hyde Park and a close walk from Oxford Street. With the wonderful restaurants of Mayfair close as well, this Hotel has a magnificent location! The Concierge Rick is a marvelous person, warm and charming who takes care of your every need, as dinner reservations in upscale London restaurants are very difficult to get! Rooms are spacious and well appointed, beds comfortable and pillows plentiful, soft and comforting. If you have the chance please take the time to have tea at the Hotel, a charming experience. Room 448 is by my experience the best if you can get it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Hyde Park, also check that the curtains close completely as the light...
1 Thank Patricia S