“Not worth the hype”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #231 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Grosvenor House for 3 nights and had high expectations given all of the fantastic reviews. We were upgraded to a larger room which was was spacious by European standards, but it felt very dated, worn carpets, hallways etc. Also, we overlooked the inside courtyard which had bird carcasses hanging from the wires, not a great view. The platinum club was being renovated so we could not use it but were told all items from our mini bar could be used at no charge- 2 candy bars and some sodas were not really comparable to the club lounge. The service was spotty at best. We asked one concierge for restaurant recommendations near the London Eye and he advised that "unless we wanted McDonalds" we would do better to come back and eat near the hotel (really? McDonalds? we were fortunate to find some fantastic restaurants within a 5 minute cab ride from the Eye in the end) We also tried their high tea which took over 2 hours with no one coming to check on us and in fact left before they served their last course (which they boxed and sent up to our room). When we mentioned this to the manager they only offered to let us have another tea the next day which did not interest us given our short time in town. We felt the service spent more time focusing on the various wedding and events going on rather than their guests. The last day they were doing major renovation on our floor and though it was quiet from our room, the hallways were all covered in plastic and dust from the renovation was everywhere (as were the workers). The location is nice as it is across the street from Hyde Park, but you can do much better in such a fabulous city.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing your observations with us. As you mentioned, the Trip Advisor community continues to share great experiences after visiting Grosvenor House. I am truly sorry to learn that we did not seem to fulfil your expectations on this particular visit.

At Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, we are proudly celebrating our 85th Anniversary this year. With our quintessentially British design and rich heritage, we truly feel the elegance and the comfort of the hotel is a unique offering on Park Lane.

I am sorry to learn that you were unable to experience the Executive Lounge; but do hope you had an opportunity to experience the extensive breakfast offering for our lounge guests in the wonderful setting of the Park Room overlooking Hyde Park. In a few days, our new Lounge facility will open and I do hope you will get an opportunity to experience this fantastic new offering on a future visit– it is simply stunning!

It is disappointing to hear your describe the service provided by our Concierge Desk as the team regularly are recognized as the highlight of Grosvenor House with their extensive knowledge of the city. I have shared your comments with our Head Concierge and am confident he will address your concerns with the attention it so rightfully deserves.

On a hotel stay it is often the small things that “matters” the most and I can clearly see we could have done a better job. Please do let me know should you return to London and give us another chance as it would be my true pleasure to assist in any way I can to make your visit a memorable one.

Yours Sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,721)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed for 2 nights prior to a cruise we were taking out of Southampton. It was a very comfortable hotel and service was always more than friendly. We arrived at noon and we were given a room right away. Room was typical British décor but that's why we enjoyed it. Had a corner room so were able to look out on two sides. Loved the huge bathtub. Ate in the restaurant the first night and had a very good meal of fish and chips. The breakfast in the morning had several items to choose from. We enjoyed having a relaxing breakfast. The concierge service provided us with good information about all the things we wanted to do.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Enjoy2travel

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I was delighted to read your comments, which I will share with all the team. During your visit to JW Steakhouse I do hope you did get the opportunity to indulge in the now famous JW Cheesecake - it is truly the best on "this side of the pond!"

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I traveled to London for a weekend trip alone. This hotel had me a the bellman with top hats and tails. I was using points for my stay- not sure I could have stayed otherwise. Upon check in I was offered an upgrade for £90 to an executive suite, free wifi, free mini bar and free breakfast. An offer I couldn't refuse.
Phillip at the front desk was extremely kind and generous with his time- recommending places for me after the theatre. All of the staff I interacted with were polite and helpful.
The neighbourhood was perfect- quite and so much charm. My room was large as was the bathroom.
My only negative was the baseboards were all torn off in the hallway on my floor- but maybe it was just under reconstruction?
I could have eaten off the breakfast bar all day - there was so much and so many choices!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RebeccaWaldrop

It was with great pleasure I read your recent review and I am delighted to read your comments about the service provided. Philip is indeed a great member of our team and I am very proud to learn he made such a wonderful impression.

Grosvenor House truly has a great history and tradition, and I am glad you got to experience just that. With our most recent upgrades; we will shortly feature a spectacular new Executive Lounge as well as some stunning Suites. The work notcied on your floor was part of this preparation and I do hope it did not cause too much of a disturbance.

On your next vsiit to the breakfast buffet in JW Steakhouse make sure you try the freshly baked waffles with strawberries as they are truly mouth watering.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Grosvenor House in the future.

With Best Regards

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights for a special occasion and we really enjoyed our stay. Luxurious hotel with a great afternoon tea. We didn't have breakfast so cannot comment on that. Also I'm not sure what other facilities the hotel had as we didn't explore the hotel in detail. It we had a good time and would recommend.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 9lobetrotter
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Marriott delivers at all other JW properties where I have stayed. This one misses the mark.

The breakfast for Gold folks (normally the concierge floor) is terrible. There was some Romanian guy outside my room shooting nails into the baseboard during the day while I was on conference calls and the room smelled like hamburgers were being cooked inside. The hotel is tired and worst of all I got this great service for 598 GBP per night ($900 US). Marriott should make this a Holiday Inn, it will save their reputation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Jeff Y,

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I very much appreciate your candid feedback.

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the work being completed in the nearby vicinity of your guestroom. I can certainly understand how frustrating this must have been as it clearly impacted your work. Additionally, I have taken note of the smell that was present in your guestroom. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on and I have shared your feedback with my management team.

I am disappointed to learn that the full Continental breakfast including a selection of hot items did not meet your expectations. On the contrary, the Executive Lounge breakfast is regularly marked as one of the highlights among our Gold and Platinum members. Being a frequent traveler myself, I truly feel that our lounge offering is of excellent quality with a very good selection. I am sorry you did not get to experience just that on your visit.

Please do let me know if you should return back to London and select to stay at Grosvenor House as it would be my pleasure to ensure you have a most memorable stay.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Very nice Hotel in the heart of Mayfair, good food and well appointed. Close to Hyde Park and Oxford Street short cab ride to Harrods. One of London's most prestigious traditional Hotels.
The Red Bar on the ground floor is a very nice evening venue and their traditional Engish breakfast is to die for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James D
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We spent several days at the Grosvenor House in May. We arrived from the US on an early morning flight and were in the lobby waiting for some time, with many other travelers. The management noticed, and opened the Red Bar for complimentary juice, coffee, and pastries while we waited.

We had an Executive Room on the seventh floor, which was very large, clean, quiet, and had a nice view of the Palace, London Eye, and the city. The room had a king bed, chair with ottoman, another seating chair, desk with chair, small refrigerator, and mini-bar. The bath was all marble with a large tub and huge rainhead shower. While there, we enjoyed room service, high tea, and other meals. We also enjoyed complimentary breakfast, wi-fi, and use of the mini-bar, because the executive lounge was undergoing renovations.

The concierge and other staff were all very pleasant and professional. The only slight downfall was service in the tea room. Our food was excellent, but we happened to receive a very poor server. Thankfully, the other servers noticed we were not receiving any service, so they pitched in and brought us our food and drinks.

On our departure day, we were waiting a long time for our shuttle to the port at Harwich. The Concierge noticed, and took it upon himself to call various contact numbers and determine the situation. When he say us still waiting almost half an hour later, he called again. Service above and beyond!

We have been to London a number of times, and would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. The location is terrific for walking (through the park), shopping, and restaurants, and the staff are outstanding.

Room Tip: Seventh floor back side was extremely quiet, which is what we requested.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends