“Outstanding service!”

Ranked #219 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Derby
“Outstanding service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've just returned from a one day event held at this hotel through the company I work for. Although I work for a travel company and normally find when I stay away hotels fall over themselves to go above and beyond this hotel really is amazing.
The service I received when I arrived was great. I look slightly puzzled when I walked in and can only assume it was the General Manager who asked me if I was OK and I explained I was attending a conference and he then had someone take my bags and show me to the event suite - first class!
The event space was wonderful, the staff where great and the choice of food and beverages available were of excellent quality.
Whilst I didn't stay in the hotel, what I experienced has prompted me to stay here the next time I am in London to encounter the same great service again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
El Cajon, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We just spent 15 nights at Grosvenor House in London and were generally impressed. We were disappointed to learn just before we arrived, however, that the Executive Lounge was still under construction as we had deliberately selected a hotel with a lounge since we are Marriott Rewards Platinum lifetime members and like the opportunity to relax and enjoy hors d'oervres. . The Guest Relations staff, in particular Steve Nash and Joseph Simmons, did what they could to accommodate us .with drink vouchers in the Park Room and we appreciated that. Speaking of the Park Room, it was being used for continental breakfast for Marriott Gold and Platinum members and that worked just great. Also, in the evenings they have a very nice menu and we really enjoyed getting to know Adam and Altay. They were extraordinarily attentive and provided terrific service.

We also want to specifically compliment the plumber, Danny, with the maintenance staff. Although our room was spacious, we did have a plumbing problem that turned out to be quite complex. Danny made a special point to explain the problem, suggested that since it might take awhile and create something of an odor that perhaps we would like to vacate the room for awhile. So, we did. When we returned, Danny was just finishing the repair. He did a great job and is to be complimented for his friendly and efficient demeanor.

Our only real complaint has to do with the inconsistent housekeeping and turn down service. Just as an example, some days we had extra face cloths, other days not. One day there was no replacement toilet paper. A few days we received shortbread biscuits, other days none. One day we had to call at 5 pm saying that our room had never been cleaned. Some evenings the bathrobes were set out, other nights they weren't. Another night we received no turndown service at all. My point in bringing this up is that there is an obvious need for some training in what services are to be provided. One suggestion is that the Operations Manager develop a "check list" that be provided to the housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: ASk for a superior room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from a couple day visit to London where we stayed at the JW Marriott. The people and service at the Marriott was fabulous. The staff went way beyond normal to help family members with a couple issues; the concierge staff was amazingly helpful and patient with our many inquiries. The hotel is very conveniently located within walking distance of excellent restaurants and fine stores. Great place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent 6 nights at the Grosvenor. Great location, wonderful staff, but the property is maybe not quite up to the standards of a JW Marriott. We had a lovely large suite and were very happy with the room. Breakfasts were very good. The executive lounge was under construction while we were there, and the Red Bar is a little dated if looking for a place for a drink. Overall a nice hotel, if a little pricey, but it is London. The staff were to be commended... They always went above and beyond to give great service. The concierge got us great seats for the top show in town...can't beat that!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L33333
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The staff was great, excellent service, great location - wish it had a pool. Some rooms don't have a view but overlook an inner courtyard that is not so lovely. Food was good and Starbucks located in the lobby is open late. Very comfy, a bit pricey. Close to west end, Hyde Park and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for exterior room or the view is only of the mechanical area and roof.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Like many before me, I read the reviews before going to the Grosvenor. Because it's a Marriott there are certain expectations and, sadly, this hotel doesn't live up to all of them. We were there a week spending good money. This got us a room that faced an inside courtyard, no view, with a bed that was completely worn down. Our backs killed us the entire stay. The hotel is worn and is in need of an update. In addition, I wanted to have breakfast in the front room overlooking Hyde Park and was told it was only for use by Executive Club members-which I wasn't. So I got a coffee in a little shop and the next morning(s) had my breakfast out of the Hotel. I couldn't have felt more like a second class citizen. Having said all this, the room was big with closet space for clothing. The staff is very friendly and attentive. It is a great location with the Marble Arch station just blocks away. But this hotel should be used when you will not be in your room much. It's a great place to base from and seemed to be very family friendly. Rooms are not ready until 3:00pm and there are lots of travelers camping out in the lobby all day waiting for rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review with regards to your most recent stay with us, here at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel.

Your feedback is sincerely appreciated and rest assured all of your comments have been duly noted and will be reviewed internally with the relevant heads of department.

I am sure you will be pleased to hear that we are proudly celebrating our 85th Anniversary this year at Grosvenor House. We are currently in the process of completing a full renovation of our Executive Lounge and we also intend to set our sights on perfecting other areas of the hotel, including our guest rooms and suites, in due course.
As you had been informed, The Park Room has currently been set aside as the temporary back drop for the service of our Executive Lounge breakfast. This again, is a temporary location until completion of the new Executive Lounge reaches fruition. I am most sorry to hear that you felt slightly undervalued when being advised that the Park Room was only available for our Elite Members to enjoy breakfast. This was truly not our intention and I do hope you were able to enjoy our other delightful breakfast offerings in the JW Steakhouse.

As with many city based hotels, not all of our guest rooms have an outward facing view, with a selection facing an internal courtyard, which seems to be the case during your most recent visit. Our check-in time is indeed 3pm daily and at times the lobby area is alive with many guests checking in and out throughout the day.

I am most pleased to hear that our talented team of associates was able to assist you with all questions you may have had. We do pride ourselves on ensuring that we provide the highest level of service, while being attentive to the needs and requirements of all of our guests.

Should you elect to stay with us again, we do hope you allow us the opportunity to share our true elegant service, whilst allowing you to enjoy all that London has to offer!

With kindest regards,

Morten Skumsrud
Hotel Manager
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Grosvenor House for 3 nights and had high expectations given all of the fantastic reviews. We were upgraded to a larger room which was was spacious by European standards, but it felt very dated, worn carpets, hallways etc. Also, we overlooked the inside courtyard which had bird carcasses hanging from the wires, not a great view. The platinum club was being renovated so we could not use it but were told all items from our mini bar could be used at no charge- 2 candy bars and some sodas were not really comparable to the club lounge. The service was spotty at best. We asked one concierge for restaurant recommendations near the London Eye and he advised that "unless we wanted McDonalds" we would do better to come back and eat near the hotel (really? McDonalds? we were fortunate to find some fantastic restaurants within a 5 minute cab ride from the Eye in the end) We also tried their high tea which took over 2 hours with no one coming to check on us and in fact left before they served their last course (which they boxed and sent up to our room). When we mentioned this to the manager they only offered to let us have another tea the next day which did not interest us given our short time in town. We felt the service spent more time focusing on the various wedding and events going on rather than their guests. The last day they were doing major renovation on our floor and though it was quiet from our room, the hallways were all covered in plastic and dust from the renovation was everywhere (as were the workers). The location is nice as it is across the street from Hyde Park, but you can do much better in such a fabulous city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing your observations with us. As you mentioned, the Trip Advisor community continues to share great experiences after visiting Grosvenor House. I am truly sorry to learn that we did not seem to fulfil your expectations on this particular visit.

At Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, we are proudly celebrating our 85th Anniversary this year. With our quintessentially British design and rich heritage, we truly feel the elegance and the comfort of the hotel is a unique offering on Park Lane.

I am sorry to learn that you were unable to experience the Executive Lounge; but do hope you had an opportunity to experience the extensive breakfast offering for our lounge guests in the wonderful setting of the Park Room overlooking Hyde Park. In a few days, our new Lounge facility will open and I do hope you will get an opportunity to experience this fantastic new offering on a future visit– it is simply stunning!

It is disappointing to hear your describe the service provided by our Concierge Desk as the team regularly are recognized as the highlight of Grosvenor House with their extensive knowledge of the city. I have shared your comments with our Head Concierge and am confident he will address your concerns with the attention it so rightfully deserves.

On a hotel stay it is often the small things that “matters” the most and I can clearly see we could have done a better job. Please do let me know should you return to London and give us another chance as it would be my true pleasure to assist in any way I can to make your visit a memorable one.

Yours Sincerely,