“Great Hotel”

Ranked #218 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Draper, Utah
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed here 5 nights during the Wimbledon tennis tournament. The staff were all super nice and there's always taxi's waiting. There's an ATM inside the hotel which is super convenient. I had the buffet breakfast at the JW Steakhouse every morning and the staff were nice and the food tasted great. Room was clean and quite large especially for a big city. The view from my room wasn't anything special just the back road. The only negative I had was their wifi was slow. The wifi would be fast during early morning or the middle of the night, but during peak times it was really slow. Other than that I enjoyed everything about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I've just returned from a one day event held at this hotel through the company I work for. Although I work for a travel company and normally find when I stay away hotels fall over themselves to go above and beyond this hotel really is amazing.
The service I received when I arrived was great. I look slightly puzzled when I walked in and can only assume it was the General Manager who asked me if I was OK and I explained I was attending a conference and he then had someone take my bags and show me to the event suite - first class!
The event space was wonderful, the staff where great and the choice of food and beverages available were of excellent quality.
Whilst I didn't stay in the hotel, what I experienced has prompted me to stay here the next time I am in London to encounter the same great service again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
El Cajon, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We just spent 15 nights at Grosvenor House in London and were generally impressed. We were disappointed to learn just before we arrived, however, that the Executive Lounge was still under construction as we had deliberately selected a hotel with a lounge since we are Marriott Rewards Platinum lifetime members and like the opportunity to relax and enjoy hors d'oervres. . The Guest Relations staff, in particular Steve Nash and Joseph Simmons, did what they could to accommodate us .with drink vouchers in the Park Room and we appreciated that. Speaking of the Park Room, it was being used for continental breakfast for Marriott Gold and Platinum members and that worked just great. Also, in the evenings they have a very nice menu and we really enjoyed getting to know Adam and Altay. They were extraordinarily attentive and provided terrific service.

We also want to specifically compliment the plumber, Danny, with the maintenance staff. Although our room was spacious, we did have a plumbing problem that turned out to be quite complex. Danny made a special point to explain the problem, suggested that since it might take awhile and create something of an odor that perhaps we would like to vacate the room for awhile. So, we did. When we returned, Danny was just finishing the repair. He did a great job and is to be complimented for his friendly and efficient demeanor.

Our only real complaint has to do with the inconsistent housekeeping and turn down service. Just as an example, some days we had extra face cloths, other days not. One day there was no replacement toilet paper. A few days we received shortbread biscuits, other days none. One day we had to call at 5 pm saying that our room had never been cleaned. Some evenings the bathrobes were set out, other nights they weren't. Another night we received no turndown service at all. My point in bringing this up is that there is an obvious need for some training in what services are to be provided. One suggestion is that the Operations Manager develop a "check list" that be provided to the housekeeping staff.

Room Tip: ASk for a superior room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just returned from a couple day visit to London where we stayed at the JW Marriott. The people and service at the Marriott was fabulous. The staff went way beyond normal to help family members with a couple issues; the concierge staff was amazingly helpful and patient with our many inquiries. The hotel is very conveniently located within walking distance of excellent restaurants and fine stores. Great place to stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent 6 nights at the Grosvenor. Great location, wonderful staff, but the property is maybe not quite up to the standards of a JW Marriott. We had a lovely large suite and were very happy with the room. Breakfasts were very good. The executive lounge was under construction while we were there, and the Red Bar is a little dated if looking for a place for a drink. Overall a nice hotel, if a little pricey, but it is London. The staff were to be commended... They always went above and beyond to give great service. The concierge got us great seats for the top show in town...can't beat that!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank L33333
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

The staff was great, excellent service, great location - wish it had a pool. Some rooms don't have a view but overlook an inner courtyard that is not so lovely. Food was good and Starbucks located in the lobby is open late. Very comfy, a bit pricey. Close to west end, Hyde Park and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask for exterior room or the view is only of the mechanical area and roof.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Wilton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Like many before me, I read the reviews before going to the Grosvenor. Because it's a Marriott there are certain expectations and, sadly, this hotel doesn't live up to all of them. We were there a week spending good money. This got us a room that faced an inside courtyard, no view, with a bed that was completely worn down. Our backs killed us the entire stay. The hotel is worn and is in need of an update. In addition, I wanted to have breakfast in the front room overlooking Hyde Park and was told it was only for use by Executive Club members-which I wasn't. So I got a coffee in a little shop and the next morning(s) had my breakfast out of the Hotel. I couldn't have felt more like a second class citizen. Having said all this, the room was big with closet space for clothing. The staff is very friendly and attentive. It is a great location with the Marble Arch station just blocks away. But this hotel should be used when you will not be in your room much. It's a great place to base from and seemed to be very family friendly. Rooms are not ready until 3:00pm and there are lots of travelers camping out in the lobby all day waiting for rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review with regards to your most recent stay with us, here at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel.

Your feedback is sincerely appreciated and rest assured all of your comments have been duly noted and will be reviewed internally with the relevant heads of department.

I am sure you will be pleased to hear that we are proudly celebrating our 85th Anniversary this year at Grosvenor House. We are currently in the process of completing a full renovation of our Executive Lounge and we also intend to set our sights on perfecting other areas of the hotel, including our guest rooms and suites, in due course.
As you had been informed, The Park Room has currently been set aside as the temporary back drop for the service of our Executive Lounge breakfast. This again, is a temporary location until completion of the new Executive Lounge reaches fruition. I am most sorry to hear that you felt slightly undervalued when being advised that the Park Room was only available for our Elite Members to enjoy breakfast. This was truly not our intention and I do hope you were able to enjoy our other delightful breakfast offerings in the JW Steakhouse.

As with many city based hotels, not all of our guest rooms have an outward facing view, with a selection facing an internal courtyard, which seems to be the case during your most recent visit. Our check-in time is indeed 3pm daily and at times the lobby area is alive with many guests checking in and out throughout the day.

I am most pleased to hear that our talented team of associates was able to assist you with all questions you may have had. We do pride ourselves on ensuring that we provide the highest level of service, while being attentive to the needs and requirements of all of our guests.

Should you elect to stay with us again, we do hope you allow us the opportunity to share our true elegant service, whilst allowing you to enjoy all that London has to offer!

With kindest regards,