“not worth the name”

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Ranked #214 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“not worth the name”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

quite surprised to look at all good reviews in this hotel. but i have a totally different experince.

my takes on my experience is that inside the room is very old and has this carpet smell that my kids noticed as we enter the room.

we came after travelling 12 hours of flying and desk cant give us the rate on spot and need approval even we had booked the room weeks before. this process takes about 25 minutes till we tell to charge whatever price the want to charge.

wifi experience ia very bad, they charge the daily usage and can't get the signal from the bed of this cramp room, but has too stay in front of the door to get signal (we have about 6 in gadgets in all so slim change that it is because of our phone or ipad's)

trying to make the best of our holiday though and not thinking about all these but just enjoy the unpleasant experience :)

my final comment, london has many more hotels to choose from so pick wisely.

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Akindangen
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your taking the time to write a review following your stay with us and I very much appreciate your detailed comments as it is only with such comments that we can strive to make improvements wherever we can.

First and foremost, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced at the time of check in. It is difficult for me to comment much further without additional details; however can only assume that the rate you were booked on required some form of identification prior to check in. I am sorry if this was not clearly explained by our Front Office team. With our new state-of-the-art WIFI system coming in the near future I am confident that you will not experience similar issues you noted in reference to the internet.

At Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, we are proudly celebrating our 85th Anniversary this year. I am sorry to see that you felt the property did not meet your expectations in terms of design and décor. The elegance of our quintessentially British design and our rich heritage is something we are very proud; but we do respect that everyone has their view on these personal preferences.

Yours Sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May 2013. I have been to London many times and have always wanted to stay on Park Lane but could never afford it. Through a special on British Airways I was able to afford a week at Grosvenor House. It is very nice hotel, immaculately kept up, staff are very helpful (they got me tickets to a long sold out exhibit) and the rooms were good size. The location was convenient for heading down towards Buckingham Palace, across the park to Kensington or up towards Oxford Street area. Service examples: One afternoon I returned to my room in the middle of the day (it had been cleaned) and decided to take a nap. I went out again and when I came back my room had been cleaned again! I ate in the restaurant one evening and mentioned that the trip was a birthday gift to myself – next thing I knew I had a huge glass of champagne, a large piece of birthday cake and the restaurant staff were singing happy birthday to me! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014

It was a great location with very nice people working!

That's about all I can say positive about our 3 night stay. When we checked in they told us that they moved us to a smoking room since the hotel was sold out and because we used points. Obviously both not true because after talking to a manager we were upgraded to a superior room instead. Not sure why it was a superior room because the room was very small with a view of the A/C unit?

Since the Lounge was closed we were given breakfast downstairs and that was fine. We did not try the Steakhouse but now looking back I wash we would have.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
It was a pleasure having you as our guests on your most recent visit to London. I am sorry to learn that you felt the room accommodations did not fulfill your expectations and that we were unable to accommodate you in a nonsmoking room in your reserved room category. I am, however, delighted to see that our Front Office assisted with an upgrade to one of our Superior guestrooms. The Grosvenor House is known for having quite spacious accommodations and I am disappointed to see that you felt the room you were assigned was quite small. Unfortunately being a city hotel, the views on some floors are limited; but do hope this did not impact your stay overall.

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us. I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House on your next trip to London.

Best Regards

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

10 minute stroll to Selfridges. Beautiful neighbourhood. The staff were so nice and brought an empty fridge to my room as we have a little one and needed to store some food. The mini bar is one that you pay if you lift anything from it's touch pad. Why do they do that in such a nice hotel?? Beds are SO comfortable but rooms are a little small. We also had to pay for wifi which is deplorable in this day and age. They do have free wifi access in the common areas downstairs though.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Hotel entrance is warm Right opposite the Hyde park it is one of the most centrally located hotel.Yet there is a big busy road in between the hotel and the park.
The staff is warm
the rooms medium sized and homely and clean
The bathrooms are adequately equipped
The best part of the hotel is its warm coffee shop which normally is on the ground floor but here its on the 3rd floor if i am not mistaken.
Its such a warm place to have small gatherings instead of your room.
Its well equipped with cookies and waffers and fresh berries and seasonal fruits through out the day in case you are hungry.
There is a street behind this hotel which offers an array of various cuisines and small eateries.
Overall a great stay

Room Tip: The south rooms over look some govt building which is more quieter
Green Features: there are glasses on the basins for brushing if you plan on staying for say 3 nights then u can request not to wash the bed sheets
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Woodbridge
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel from June 26 - July 1. I booked 2 rooms as I was travelling with my husband and 2 children aged 14 and 11. I chose this hotel because of its location and the reputation of a JW Marriott. Even though we were informed by email a week before our arrival that the Executive lounge was closed due to renovation, that didn't affect my decision. Our packaged included breakfast. My husband is a Gold Member, so I did request an upgrade to a Superior Suite. Unfortunately, upon check-in there were no suites available as we were told some of them were being renovated. We did have two connecting superior rooms, but no view of Hyde Park. It was actually an ugly view of the roof. That was pretty disappointing. I would have really appreciated an upgrade. The included breakfast was at the JW Marriott Steakhouse and it was delicious. Far better than any breakfast in any Executive lounge! Also all the staff in the Steakhouse were wonderful. I loved seeing the men opening the doors wearing top hats and long jackets. Very British!! The hotel was within walking distance to the tube, and many major landmarks. So although I would highly recommend this hotel, I was really disappointed with the view from my room and the fact that we were not granted a room upgrade. We've stayed at other JW Marriott's and other Marriott Hotels and Resorts and were ALWAYS granted a room upgrade!

Room Tip: I always ask for the highest floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After quite a bit of research, I chose this hotel based on great reviews for service. I have relatively new status as a Marriott Platinum member, and was very hopeful of getting an upgrade to a suite, since they have so many suites and others have had good success with this. Plus, they were supposed to have a nice Executive Lounge.

We arrived early and were greeted warmly by an assistant as we waited to check in. We were not put in a suite, but did get a minor upgrade to a superior room (larger than standard room), but it was on the first floor and had a very limited view of Hyde Park. Also, we were notified by email about a week before our stay that the executive longe was being remodeled, so that luxury was out!

Before visiting some sites, I called to make an early reservation at JW Steakhouse because we had theatre tickets. I was told there was nothing available (Platinum status notwithstanding), but we could eat at the Park Room. We arrived and told the hostess that we were on a tight schedule due to the theatre. We sat for about 20 minutes and no server approached us or even made eye contact. Decided to leave, and as I explained why to the hostess, a manager overheard us, apologized profusely, and walked us to JW Steakhouse, where he promised a quick meal. Oddly, it was only about 20% occupied! When I asked why I was refused a reservation, he simply said the hostess was following his instructions. We did get a complimentary glass of champagne, but had to eat so fast that it was hard to enjoy the meal. It seems they could have at least offered to drive us to the theatre, but they just showed us where to get a cab.

That evening, housekeeping had changed a lightbulb during the turn down service, and apparantly broke it. My wife stepped on a shard of glass as she got in bed. It was late and we were tired, so we just wanted to stop the bleeding and get some rest. I reported this to Guest Relations the next morning. I received a "so sorry" and an offer for medical attention, and they sent a maid and a supervisor to collect the remaining glass we had gathered.

We used Marriott Reward points (a lot of them!) for our stay, so I was not expecting or looking for any compensation from the cut in my wife's foot. But I did think they might send a small boquet of flowers, a bottle of wine, or even a hand-written note with some chocolates in the room for our trouble. At least, that is what I would expect from a 5 star hotel noted for its service. But there was no more mention of it, even when I checked out.

The room was actually very clean, comfortable and nice in size, and the bathroom was well appointed.

Given their reputation for service, I thought the recovery from the dinner snafu was fair, but could have been better. And I was very surprised that they almost ignored the cut caused by broken glass. Coupled with my dissapointment with not getting a suite and no access to the executive lounge, we left rather dissapointed. Maybe we should have tried the new London Edition (same point value), but I was banking on the service reputation of this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, and you may have a view of Hyde Park.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to place a review here on Trip Advisor, regarding your recent stay with us.

Please allow me to apologize for the discomfort your wife experienced, rest assured, I have followed up with our Director of Engineering and can sincerely empathize with how this incident may have marred what should have been a most pleasant stay.

We sincerely value you as a Platinum member and would have upgraded your reservation to a suite, should one have been available. Due to our occupancy, at times this is unfortunately, not always possible.

Should you elect to stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact my office, so I may be able to ensure you have a most pleasant return visit.

Kindest regards