“Not what I expected from a 4* novotel”

Novotel London Tower Bridge
Ranked #235 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Not what I expected from a 4* novotel”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed in a novotel in York for my engagement so novotels are special to me, so when we were visiting London it was the first place I thought of.
The location of this novotel is brilliant, close to many attractions.
Our room was nice, with cool features such as frosted glass shower, Bose docking station etc, but this wasn't the room we had booked.
The first thing I did was look around to make sure everything was clean. There was a small blood mark on the duvet and no matress protector which i think is unhygienic. However I didn't want to cause a fuss, so decided to ignore it.
The next day however I was really disappointed. We went for breakfast which was nice, lots of choice everything tasty, but the room was noisy, not a nice calm Sunday morning.
When we returned to our rooms a maid was in there changing the sheets and towels. We still had 2hours til checkout. It was obvious that the bedding wasn't going to be changed again after we left, which I found concerning because we were still to shower and we were wanting to relax before heading out on the train. About 20mins later another maid came in the room, without knocking but then quickly turned around and left. We felt uncomfortable by then, and felt as if we were expected to leave, so checked out over an hour earlier than planned.
I was disappointed because it changed my opinion on novotels. If was to return I would probably go to the double tree over the road.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank LisamarieWhalen
Steven K, Manager at Novotel London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking time to describe your experience following your stay at our property. I am very grateful you brought this to our attention.
After reading your detailed comments regarding the negligence described above and despite believing this is really a one off situation, I have immediately gathered my housekeeper and we have put in place all the right measures to avoid future occurrence.
Regarding the breakfast I would like to inform you that we have a lot of guest during the weekends that are coming for breakfast, therefore we provide information regarding rush hours and with this information we give several options for a more quiet breakfast experience. I still hope that in light of this information, you still might consider our hotel for a future stay.
With kind regards,

Operations manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights 3 people sharing a room. The size of the room was adequate. Rooms were clean and fresh and we were not disappointed in our choice of hotel. The breakfast was very nice with a good choice, replenished regularly. We did have a meal one evening and were very pleasantly surprised at the quality and the price. The only tiny complaint was the length of time waiting for our drinks to arrive, they were cocktails but even so a little too slow. We would recommend this hotel to others and I will book this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kassyblue
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am truly pleased to hear that we have fulfilled and exceeded your expectations in terms of service and you like our comfortable adequate rooms and enjoyed our restaurant during breakfast and diner.
I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Do not stay here if you want to hold on to your money. We prepaid for our room for 2 nights through Hotwire. When we arrived they asked for a card to have on file for incidentals which is pretty standard. They then said they would preauthorize it for 50 GBP, a little unusual but ok. After we checked out we noticed two charges for $84 each and one charge for $401. After multiple calls and emails the issue is still not resolved. I get a different story almost every time I talk to them. Needless to say, at this point I'm having to file fraud charges with my credit card company which is a huge inconvenience since they'll likely issue a new credit card number and I'm in Europe for 6 more weeks.
Also, the rooms are about the size of a shoebox if you're still interested in staying here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Carter Z
Steven K, Manager at Novotel London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review, I’m sorry that you were disappointed by your experience and rated us with one star for an issue related to your bank’s procedures.
Therefore I'm surprised to read your comments as you are naming a purely banking process a fraud by the hotel.
It is a very common practice in the hotel industry throughout the world to ask for a guarantee of payment for any incidentals upon arrival. Our guarantee is £50 per night. This shows on your bank statement as an authorisation and not as a charge.
Within 2 hours after we received your telephone call we have made the adjustment and you have already received this money back to your bank account and this is confirmed to you by email.
Concerning the comments about our room size, I would like to inform that our standard rooms have a surface with a minimum of 24 square metres and this is considered as one of the largest in London for hotel chains.
Once again apologize for the inconvenience.

Kindest regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at Novotel London Tower Bridge from May 23 2014 to May 28 2014 (5 nights) for a family of 2 adults and 2 children. The hotel room was clean and service was great. Our breakfast was included in the room rate and it was pretty good with hot and cold dishes. We had 1 room service order on the first night and it was pretty tasty as well. Special thanks to the restaurant manager - Dinesh for his daily smiles and greets, always attentive to our needs and details. The hotel had good accessibility to the Tower Hill Tube station and also restaurants near the the Tower Bridge/Wharf. We would definitely stay here again the next time we come.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

3 Thank LawrenceFu
Steven K, Manager at Novotel London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback relating to your recent stay with us.
I am delighted that your experience in our hotel was a positive one and you enjoyed the warm hospitality from our team here and especially from Denish.
It is such a great satisfaction to see that you appreciated our central location, close to all public transportation, making it the perfect base to discover London
I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here over the recent bank holiday. The location is great, just 2 minutes walk from the tube. Hotel is modern, clean and like all novotels very well run. We only had breakfast in the hotel, but it was good with a good range of options. Only downside was that the bed was a good bit softer than I'd have liked and not as good as some budget hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GraemeB01
Steven K, Manager at Novotel London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit, I am truly pleased to hear that we have fulfilled expectations in terms of service, cleanliness and location. . I have passed on your comments to my team and I do hope that you will come back to stay with us again soon.

Quatro Barras, PR
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Convenient is the best word for this hotel.
Nothing spectacular, nothibg bad.
If you´re looking for a hotel to spend good sleeping nights, in a location that is easy to reach, on a fair price, that´s a good choice.
my own reason to have choosen this, and fully accomplished, was that I was with my wife and our daughter and wanted to stay in just one room to have good price. And not many hotels can offer 3 people bedrooms.
So it was perfect.
Clean, rooms are not big but very convenient. Staff ok.
Is a few minutes walk from subway station, is a ver business oriented area. So at nights is a dead area. Eben hard to fing a restaurant. During the day, very busy with lots of quick business restaurant offers.
I didn´t have breakfast at hotel, but there are good options right at next corner.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DavidKB
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you had a good visit to London and appreciated our location and rooms which are indeed perfect for families.
I hope we'll see you on your next trip.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here in August '13.

First impressions when first walking into the hotel were good. Clean, bright, friendly and helpful staff.

Perfectly located to explore our capital.

The food and drink were of a very high standard, the kids certainly enjoyed breakfast and the Apple Corner where they could have unlimited use of an Apple imac and an Xbox when we were having a drink or a bite to eat in the hotel.

Rooms were clean and tidy, and the beds were comfortable, again kept to a high standard. Shower facilities were hot and powerful and the room had a good sized TV with plenty of channels to keep the kids entertained on an evening.

Would highly reccomend

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Adam G
Steven K, Manager at Novotel London Tower Bridge, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear guest,

It is very nice to see that you took so much time to go into details and leave valuable information to us and other users of Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you had such a great stay, liking the cleanliness of the hotel and its rooms. We are very happy to read that your kid's enjoyed the Imac corner and the Xbox as well as the full breakfast buffet. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us at the hotel and it is particularly rewarding for us to receive such positive feedback. It will be a pleasure for me to share your comments with the entire team.
On behalf of our team, we look forward to welcoming you back.