“Shocking, disgusting.”

Ranked #824 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“Shocking, disgusting.”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This place isn't clean. I was horrified by the bedding and was never comfortable for a minute. The staff was unpleasant, the breakfast not good. It was traumatic to stay here. I'm returning to London soon and will steer clear of this mess. Every other place I've ever stayed in London -- countless places -- was far better. I was stuck in tourist season, not having planned ahead enough. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Make sure the room is...elsewhere. Like the park or a bus station. St Paul's?
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I have driven across the US and stayed in some pretty questionable hotels, but when I come to London I know that I have to be, shall we say "flexible" about my expectations for a hotel room. I realize that when traveling through Europe it's wise to bring your sense of humor however I was totally unprepared for my experience at the Oliver.

The first thing you think as you walk through the door is "What's the cancellation policy again?" I was dutifully interrogated by the ex KGB employee who manned the front desk and ushered off to my room.

Surprise, yes the room was small...well tiny actually: so welcome to London! All par for the course... but then I saw the bathroom... oh my God. I'm 5 feet 8 inches, not exactly tall but there wasn't enough room for me to sit on the toilet, I had to sit sideways to accommodate my knees!

Well that was good for a laugh. (remember, sense of humor required)

But I wasn't particularly amused when I tried taking a shower and discovered that there wasn't enough space in the stall to move my arms, I literally had to soak under the water, step out of the shower to soap and scrub and step back in to rinse off!

Thank God I was only here for one night.

After my shower I made the mistake of going downstairs for the "Continental" breakfast that was included with my stay. What I wasn't told was that the continent in question was Antarctica! Undrinkable coffee, rubbery egg (singular), slimy yogurt and miserable service, there was not one edible thing in the room.

And speaking of miserable service...not a single smile the whole time I was there from any of the employees. They offered consistently "Soviet" service that led me to believe that I was really just an annoyance...or an inmate.

Needless to say unless you're fresh from the Gulag avoid this place like the plague...which I suspect is being incubated in the bed linens!

One last thing, I would love to hear from anyone, ANYONE who has stayed at this hotel and gone back to stay another night.

Room Tip: Any other room in any other hotel...perhaps a park bench...under a bridge...trust me you'll than...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Kevin F

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

cleethorpes
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Be warned, stayed one night and woke up the next day blotchy and itching all over. Now having to have everything worn dry cleaned / thrown out so as not to transfer home. Avoid room 7, not just for the fact you'll be bitten to death, but you get the added bonus of the kitchen staff making lots of noise just after 6am.... yes, horrible!!! Avoid.

Room Tip: just avoid room 7
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Firstly it is not 24 hour reception. If you arrive after midnight you have to knock on the door as your key , even if you happen to sneak it out, does not open the main front door. If you can wake somebody up they will let you in at their discretion. My female travel companion arrived back around 2am and was initially refused entry. When he finally let her in he had to escort her to the room for some reason as I had the key and thought it ok to actually attempt to fondle her from behind. She spokento management next day who appeared not surprised yet no real apology or remorse. The matter is now with police.
So not only is it not really 24 hr reception it advertises that its only 15 to 20 minute stroll to Oxford st , Harrodsburg etc. This is laughable, we wondered why walking and asking people the directions they looked at us weird. It takes approx 90 mns to walk to Oxford st and that's at a great rate of knots. Avoid this hotel, the rooms are rabbit warrens, staff shonky and sleazy and basically have nothing to offer what they advertise. The breakfast btw is stale toast and hard boiled eggs. Simply a joke.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Its funny as i've seen so many reviews on here bashing this hotel and I really don't know why?!?! It was in a perfect location being only 5-10 min walk to Earls Court and 5 mins to the tube, the breakfast was spot on each morning and the staff friendly. We arrived early on the day of checking in (10.45am) and was expecting to wait a few hours before we could check in. However after little more than 30 mins our room was ready. In the meantime the staff looked after our luggage and got us some teas and coffees. The room (while a tad small) was very clean and was perfect for me and my girlfriends needs. While it wasn't the Ritz I really don't what some people expecting for £90 a night for a double room in such a location. Also if you spend so much time in your room (in central London) that the size becomes an issue you need to get out more! PS. I note some people were saying that the wi-fi only worked in the breakfast area....well they must have updated this recently as we were located on the top/4th floor and got a perfect signal for the 3 days we were there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Hotel Oliver is in quite location on a main road within walking distance to The Natural History Museum and to Earls Court Tube, buses, also to restaurants and food stores. We liked the breakfast service, coffee and tea faciltites available for free in the tea room 24hr. Also liked the family room. We would definately use again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Micha072
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We asked the hotel receptionist to call a taxi at 4:30 in the morning to take my mother to the airport at a fixed price. A man appeared in a car and instead of taking my mother to the airport gave her a very long drive around London, apparently lost ...and left my mother at another site near the airport after driving in a reckless manner. When my mother got off the "taxi" the driver wanted to charge her much more than what was agreed. My poor mother, who speaks no English, was scared, asked him for his license number, but he wouldn´t answer and had no choice but to call me to speak with the driver. It's amazing that the hotel receptionist called any cheat that besides trying to defraud my mother panicked and put her in danger.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family