“Potential - but not a 5 Star”

The Marble Arch London
Ranked #595 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Philadelphia
“Potential - but not a 5 Star”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed here in February for a work function. Upon check in, I told that I was upgraded and then followed the bellhop through the restaurant and down a flight of step into the lower level. As a solo female traveler, I am not comfortable being in a lower level with windows at ground level. After much ado, I was moved to another room for one night and then had to move again to another room for my second and third night. Other miscellaneous snafus during the stay for instance, my room wasn't cleaned when I arrived back at 4:00 PM. When I called the desk to let them know, they asked me if I still wanted my room cleaned? The property itself is quite nice and the beds were very comfortable. If they work out the kinks, it will be a very nice property, but currently it is not a 5 star.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Phillytravler1
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch London, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Phillytravler1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps us monitor the service we provide.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require or for any future reservations.
Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I wanted to take my partner away to see a show and stay somewhere a bit special so the Montcalm by Marble Arch was ideal due to its proximity to the theatres and its promise of 5 star luxury. The staff on reception were friendly, polite and courteous and were good enough to upgrade us on arrival. Nothing about this hotel disappointed. From the entrance hall to the room itself, everything has been carefully selected to create a feeling of confidently understated opulence. As promised the bed was delightfully comfortable,the room luxirious and a shower that I did not want to get out of. Breakfast was delicious with so much choice. I would most definately recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to treat themselves to a beautiful hotel with an intimate atmosphere. One night was simply not enough!

Dear Pete D,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

Oxfordshire
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Firstly I made the mistake of following advice given, I freely acknowledge, helpfully given by previous tripadvisor reviewers, and requested a room with a view of the street. Unfortunately I also booked a club room and there are no club rooms facing the street and so our room was a double with no bath (a shower) and with barely room to swing a cat in. The receptionist efficiently allocated us our originally booked room that was in the basement. It was twice the size, had a bath, natural light and was very comfortable.

We had a quiet pleasant stay with excellent service. In the middle of the night a buzzing sound turned out to be the room aroma box, easily switched off but possibly the source of sounds mentioned in previous reviews?

The breakfast was a very pleasant affair. The room was light, quite small, though with plenty of room on the morning we were there. I quite liked the mushrooms with rosemary! One small point was that the bread used for toast was basic sliced bread. It would compliment the breakfast if the hotel sourced better bread probably for a similar cost.

The Montcalm markets the hotel on its website as a 5 star hotel and I think that is a problem. The Montcalm is across a busy road and although technically one could go across to the spa,the reality is that we were put off. The 5 star rating, I believe raises peoples expectations unnecessarily. It's a good 4 star boutique hotel.

Room Tip: The Club rooms are OK, the double room we were first offered was very small and claustrophobic
2 Thank flyswatter8
Dear Flyswater8,

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We booked a 2 night stay at the Marble Arch by Montcalm through Groupon.
However after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor we were very concerned and wanted to cancel our booking. As this was not possible we went ahead and stayed there.
All we can say is the reviews that we read on Trip Advisor did not reflect our stay at this hotel.
The hotel is first class, yes the rooms are small but they are absolute quality. Both the bedroom and the bathroom are excellent.
From checking in to checking out the staff could not do enough for us, we received first class service, the staff were polite, proffesional ,courteous and went out of their way to help.
We also found the breakfast to be excellent. The location was perfect for sightseeing.
This hotel absolutely deserves our 5 star rating.

Room Tip: We called ahead and asked for a high floor.
1 Thank Dilli30
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch London, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Dilli30,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

newcastle, england
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Just a few minutes walk from Marble Arch tube and Oxford Street, the hotel in a great Location. We loved Christophers square area at night, lots of al fresco dining, shishas, a great buzz (just back from the selfridges area) less than 10 miutues walk away.
The staff at reception are over attentive, professional and friendly, we stayed in a basement room - it did feel strange to step in the elevator to go down a floor, but not to worry, we had a beatuful double room, and it was still bright (no view looked into a service area courtyard).
Great shower with lots of hot water (nice toiletries), minibar facilities (very overpriced) and tea/coffee facilities which were well stocked. The only downside's were a very loud buzzing noise that sounded like a bathroom fan or an aircon unit. We turned ours off and it wasnt coming from our room so it was a bit of a mystery (possibly next doors). It was a ver loud and constant buzzing, and had we not been falling into bed exhaused and after a good few drinks every night, we would definately have been kept awake and would probably have asked to move rooms. The other downside is the maids dont make up the rooms until about 6pm, despite having the make up room light left on all day. It was a bit annoying to come back to the room to change for dinner and find the room not made up, or have to stand to one side while they come in and clean. We stayed 4 days and only had it cleaned once during our stay as we didnt have time in the evening to be waiting for them to clean. The maids were nice however and did always knock as soon as we got in to ask if we needed towels or tea supplies, but still when you've been out the room from 9am, it would be better if they'd clean then rather than knock when you get back in.
All in all a nice hotel, but it was very expensive, so Im not sure we'd return. I think the maid service should have been improved for a 5 star hotel, and the buzzing noise was so loud I wouldnt reccommend staying in our room -209, although we didnt complain when we probably should have, so I cant comment on how they would have dealt with that.
We ate at the hotels grill restaurant accross the road. Food good, but again very overpriced and we were the only ones in the restaurant which was a shame as its lovely.

1 Thank rebecca_comtacto
marblearch26, Owner at The Marble Arch London, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Rebecca_comtacto,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, and will take it seriously to improve our services.

Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I booked the Montcalm Hotel as I wanted a nice hotel to stay in for my sisters hen do. It is a lovely hotel, in a good location, just off Marble Arch, set slightly back from the main road. The staff are very friendly and polite. The room was nice, clean and comfortable, with good facilities, one of those toilets which vibrates, blows and has a heated seat! The spa area was lovely, although I did expect a full size swimming pool, where as it was actually a small pool with a wave machine. None the less the facilities were lovely. The food we had bought to our room was delicious and my sisters and I had breakfast and afternoon tea and they were equally lovely. All in all a very good hotel and I would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, we looked out over the entrance which was a nice view so would chose thi...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gail W
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch London, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear Gail W,

Caesarea, Israel
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We spent 5 nights there in February.
We would have stayed on if it were possible.
Friendly not imposing,Service was just right and was not possible to fault.Everywhere,the front desk the concierges the doormen,the lounges,dining rooms.
A return to this hotel is for us is sure
Rooms luxurious as it should be.Quiet and the hotel is well placed.

Room Tip: Back rooms are as good as front rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch London, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear Jeffrey F,