“Excellent in all ways”

The Marble Arch by Montcalm
Ranked #608 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Excellent in all ways”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The employees in this gotel are very proffessional!! I think the word no doesnt exist in their dictionary they try their best to serve you in all ways, even the trainee in the hotel he was very professional, the rooms are very clean!! The hotel is located perfectly!! The hotel is 100% perfect and is what a tourist looking for!! Most hotels try their best to get out of you money but in this hotel it ia totaly different! Their priority is your relaxation and how they treat you shows how they care!! Keep it up marble arch
thanks for all your employees help and for making my honey moon perfect

• Stayed March 2012
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Mlb1613,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We appreciate your comments and feel very proud that were able to meet you expectations and that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back. . Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require or for any future reservations.

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Essex
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in one of the Club Rooms on a Thursday night. The hotel is in a perfect location very near Hyde Park Corner and Oxford Street. Just a short walk and you have just about any bus you'd like to take you into the night life of London. There is a Pret nearby to grab a sandwich, soup, or whatever and sit on park benches and watch the people go by. There is also a grocery store nearby.

Checking in was smooth and the staff were professional. Our luggage was handed over to a bellhop without asking us first which was completely unnecessary as we only had a small rolling case - however - he did call the lift for us and showed us to our room which was convenient.

Negatives: We were disappointed that we weren't told about the spa facilities or the Club Room we were entitled to have access to and also disappointed that we weren't offered or given the complimentary fruit and water that the website mentions. For the price paid you'd think they would want to emphasize the "luxuries." The bed is in a very odd position - opposite the front door so when people are in the hallway outside it sounds as if they are going to enter your room (and there were 4 other doors directly outside our door) so not very intimate to hear shuffling feet and voices a few feet from your bed!

The bathrobes were missing their belts and we didn't find any of the slippers they mentioned that are supplied. The aroma machine was noisy and not very effective. The lighting is confusing and we had to call down to find out how to turn them off!

Positives: The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in in London and the linens were wonderful. The bathroom amenities were of a very good quality and plentiful. There is a hair straightener available at the front desk. The room is a good size with a seating area. The mini bar is well stocked. Everything was very, very clean. It is a surprisingly quiet area. The breakfast was excellent - cooked to order plus buffet. Plenty on offer and sensible serving times. Very attentive staff.

I wouldn't call this a five star hotel because there isn't enough attention to detail - eg. forgetting to provide robes with belts and forgetting the slippers. It would be better to be offered a choice of morning newspaper as in other 5-star hotels.

Room Tip: i would check the layout of the doors next time to be sure there weren't 4 other doors directly...
Dear Donstep,

Thank you very much for taking out your valuable time for writing comment with regards to your stay with us. It encourages us to improve and strive for the best service to all our guests. I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members. We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact us for any assistance you may require or for any future reservations.

Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2012

First class hotel well situated staff were very helpful and polite.
room was excellent and breakfast was outstanding.

Room Tip: basement was a good choice.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear John c,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.

Kind regards,

Philadelphia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed here in February for a work function. Upon check in, I told that I was upgraded and then followed the bellhop through the restaurant and down a flight of step into the lower level. As a solo female traveler, I am not comfortable being in a lower level with windows at ground level. After much ado, I was moved to another room for one night and then had to move again to another room for my second and third night. Other miscellaneous snafus during the stay for instance, my room wasn't cleaned when I arrived back at 4:00 PM. When I called the desk to let them know, they asked me if I still wanted my room cleaned? The property itself is quite nice and the beds were very comfortable. If they work out the kinks, it will be a very nice property, but currently it is not a 5 star.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Phillytravler1
Dear Phillytravler1,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps us monitor the service we provide.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I wanted to take my partner away to see a show and stay somewhere a bit special so the Montcalm by Marble Arch was ideal due to its proximity to the theatres and its promise of 5 star luxury. The staff on reception were friendly, polite and courteous and were good enough to upgrade us on arrival. Nothing about this hotel disappointed. From the entrance hall to the room itself, everything has been carefully selected to create a feeling of confidently understated opulence. As promised the bed was delightfully comfortable,the room luxirious and a shower that I did not want to get out of. Breakfast was delicious with so much choice. I would most definately recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to treat themselves to a beautiful hotel with an intimate atmosphere. One night was simply not enough!

Dear Pete D,

Kind regards,

Oxfordshire
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Firstly I made the mistake of following advice given, I freely acknowledge, helpfully given by previous tripadvisor reviewers, and requested a room with a view of the street. Unfortunately I also booked a club room and there are no club rooms facing the street and so our room was a double with no bath (a shower) and with barely room to swing a cat in. The receptionist efficiently allocated us our originally booked room that was in the basement. It was twice the size, had a bath, natural light and was very comfortable.

We had a quiet pleasant stay with excellent service. In the middle of the night a buzzing sound turned out to be the room aroma box, easily switched off but possibly the source of sounds mentioned in previous reviews?

The breakfast was a very pleasant affair. The room was light, quite small, though with plenty of room on the morning we were there. I quite liked the mushrooms with rosemary! One small point was that the bread used for toast was basic sliced bread. It would compliment the breakfast if the hotel sourced better bread probably for a similar cost.

The Montcalm markets the hotel on its website as a 5 star hotel and I think that is a problem. The Montcalm is across a busy road and although technically one could go across to the spa,the reality is that we were put off. The 5 star rating, I believe raises peoples expectations unnecessarily. It's a good 4 star boutique hotel.

Room Tip: The Club rooms are OK, the double room we were first offered was very small and claustrophobic
2 Thank flyswatter8
Dear Flyswater8,

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We booked a 2 night stay at the Marble Arch by Montcalm through Groupon.
However after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor we were very concerned and wanted to cancel our booking. As this was not possible we went ahead and stayed there.
All we can say is the reviews that we read on Trip Advisor did not reflect our stay at this hotel.
The hotel is first class, yes the rooms are small but they are absolute quality. Both the bedroom and the bathroom are excellent.
From checking in to checking out the staff could not do enough for us, we received first class service, the staff were polite, proffesional ,courteous and went out of their way to help.
We also found the breakfast to be excellent. The location was perfect for sightseeing.
This hotel absolutely deserves our 5 star rating.

Room Tip: We called ahead and asked for a high floor.
1 Thank Dilli30
marblearch26, Manager at The Marble Arch by Montcalm, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Dilli30,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is very encouraging to see guests enjoying and having a good experience while staying with us.