“Too expensive”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City of London
Transit: The nearest Underground station is St Paul's on the Central Line (2 minute walk). Mansion House and Cannon Street stations on the District and Circle Lines are also within walking distance
Description: Jamie Oliver's Barbecoa is all about fire, smoke & the best meat we can get our hands on, cooking it using fire-based techniques from all over the world
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really like Jamie Oliver and the way he cooks but this was the first and last time that I went to his restaurant. It's very expensive. We took starter, main course, a glass of water and a beer and we paid 100 pounds. The food was nice, the way of presentation excellent but the portions were small. The view from restaurant is beautiful but is not worth to pay thus money. I prefer to buy Jamie's kitchen books.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,387)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having visited (and reviewed) Barbecoa numerous times before, I felt I had to review it again as the food was such a problem. The menu has changed since the end if June. The calamari starter (which everyone had) was so over-salted it was almost unpalatable (I did mention this to the main waiter who promised me was concerned and would pass it on....!). For the main course, two had burgers (now £26 and no chips included), one ribs and one filet steak (£31). The filet steak came smothered with a smoky cheese which completely overpowered the steak...very disappointing. The £39 prosecco was over fruited and the £42 prosecco was sharp and over priced. I did question whether Jamie Oliver was still putting his name to such a poor meal in a restaurant - I'm sure he would not have been unimpressed. All in all, for 4 people, two courses and 2 bottles of prosecco, £320......an absolute rip off. After 4+ years, this really is our very final visit. I cannot recommend this restaurant any longer.

1  Thank Justine W
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Superb food, and a really smart, cool interior.

Good service and no real complaints.

Slightly small menu, would be my only minor gripe.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wonderful lunch for birthday celebration. Food and service were excellent we have a table with comfortable couch seating and panoramic view of St. Pauls cathedral. Drinks and wine were reasonably priced the dessert was to die for!

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Let me start off by saying on a Thursday night it was very crowded, good vibe, amazing view of St. Paul's, good cocktails...
But that's where it ends because for the cost the food was average at best. In London you can get much better food for the same price even just next door at One Bread St. We had a clearly irritated waitress who only stopped by to check on us when we flagged down the manager to tell him she mixed up our entrees. The scallops were okay, pork chop dismal, game okay and the sides were mediocre as well. From dismal service to mediocre food at high prices not worth the view (which madison and other restaurants nearby have as well)