“Food Gorgeous but service needs to be improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Barbecoa

Barbecoa
Ranked #1,095 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$26 - US$51
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: City of London
Transit: The nearest Underground station is St Paul's on the Central Line (2 minute walk). Mansion House and Cannon Street stations on the District and Circle Lines are also within walking distance
Description: Jamie Oliver's Barbecoa is all about fire, smoke & the best meat we can get our hands on, cooking it using fire-based techniques from all over the world
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Food Gorgeous but service needs to be improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were taken here by friends at the weekend. On entering the reception, my nose started to twitch at the lovely aroma of warm meat. Kind of like an old fashioned butchers shop. Alas I digress. Anyway we were shown to our table which had a brilliant view of St Pauls and began to order review the menu - no hassle from the waitress and she was very friendly in finding out about the best wine for our meal or if any additives were added. So we ordered the first course which was delivered minus one serving but plus a portion of chips? We queried this and were told that our order had gone to another table, but the replacement came a few minutes later. The original waitress apologised for the inconvenience. We had calamari and smoked duck, the latter was gorgeous. No problems when the main courses came either they were lovely, I had the pork chop which was the full size of the plate and dripping cooked chips - beautiful. Really enjoyed the meal. However the problem came when we asked for the bill, we had one waiter walk past us saying not now, another came and asked us what the problem was, he went away and never came back. It was only when the original waitress returned to us that the bill was sorted and we got free drinks on the house to compensate for our inconvenience that the situation was resolved. Really Jamie - some of your staff let down the food and restaurant, and at these prices, they should know better! However if you get the young pretty girl with long black hair as your waitress then she will look after you. Just a shame about some of the others. I have base my ratings on the service she provided and the food we ate.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sorry Jamie, I'd rather have school dinners....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I can honestly say this was the worst meal I've had in London for about 10 years. We were there to celebrate my son's birthday but left with a nasty taste in our mouths and £250 worse off for 4 of us (main courses only and one bottle of wine). As Jamie Oliver is meant to be the champion of sensibly priced food cooked with simple ingredients, you wonder if he has ever been here let alone why he would want to associate himself with the place. The steaks (average price £30) were smothered in a horrible yellow sauce, garnished with raw onions (not "Balsamic") and the one cooked "rare" was still cold. To have to pay £5 extra per portion for chips is outrageous. Worse, the mashed potato (also £5) was lost under a brown slimy sauce and fake breadcrumbs (why??) and the wilted greens were utterly horrible microwaved burnt broccoli. The salad with avocado dressing was the most vile thing I've ever been served in a restaurant - straight out of a very cold fridge (probably for several days I suspect), iceberg lettuce and something that looked like Heinz salad dressing. Oh, and I forgot to mention the olives - £6 for eight green olives - Please?!!

1 Thank Elspeth D
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Nice place for a special meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited Barbecoa with 4 friends as part of a weekend in London. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived, but were shown straight to our table. The choice of dishes were good, and we all enjoyed the meal, although one of our party thought the ribs for the main course were a bit on the dry side. The restaurant has great views of St Pauls Cathedral. The overall experience was very good, but it is expensive once you add in the wine, so is only really for a special occasion.

Manchester, England
“Overpriced and over-cooked”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Nice interior and lots (lots!) of staff, but the steak was £32 just for the steak, and they managed to cook it 'medium well-done' when I'd asked for medium. In fact, everyone in our party had an over-done steak - not very impressive for what is, essentially, a steak joint.

Visited July 2014
“Too expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really like Jamie Oliver and the way he cooks but this was the first and last time that I went to his restaurant. It's very expensive. We took starter, main course, a glass of water and a beer and we paid 100 pounds. The food was nice, the way of presentation excellent but the portions were small. The view from restaurant is beautiful but is not worth to pay thus money. I prefer to buy Jamie's kitchen books.

• Visited July 2014