“Good hotel well located”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire
Ranked #360 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 December 2011

A friendly boutique hotel, centrally located, close to Oxford Street. Very friendly staff, good breakfast and standard of service. I have use this hotel many times, the real appeal is that it is small enough to offer a personal service with great staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
XParis, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of The Berkshire Hotel. I was very pleased to read positive comments about our staff & the service provided.
I would also like to thank you for your loyalty with the Berkshire and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Berkshire Hotel in the near future.

Xavier Paris Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed two nights (Fri+Sat) in a King bedroom (521). My room was a corner room, but still typical average size for London. I booked last-minute through the hotel's website and had no problems checking in at the designated check-in time (3pm). The reception staff was friendly and efficient, and I received a call in my room 10 minutes after check-in to verify that the room was satisfactory. The hotel is right on Oxford Street, which is very busy/noisy in the afternoons and evenings. I was on the 5th floor and the street noise was still very evident. There is also some construction in the area which led to some additional noise. However, my earplugs drowned out the sound no problem, and I slept well both nights. I filled out the customer satisfaction survey I received via e-mail a could of days after check-out. The staff interpreted my constructive feedback as unsatisfactory and offered me a free upgrade on a future visit, which showed me that they are committed to offering a high level of service.

Pros: The room and bathroom were clean. Bed was reasonably comfortable. Interior of the hotel was clean and quiet. Towel warmer in the bathroom and Bee Kind toiletries were nice touches. Good amount of counter space in the bathroom. Multiple outlets at the table, including a 3-pronged outlet for my laptop that did not require a converter. Located directly across (3-minute walk) from Bond Street tube station.

Cons: The area was very busy and noisy. I have stayed in several areas of London and this was by far my least favorite. The TV had a limited channel selection compared to other areas of the hotel (not important for all travelers, I realize). And this may sound picky...There was a large window in the bathroom with obscured glass and no drapes. The lights from outside lit up the bathroom throughout the night, and the door from the bedroom to the bathroom was also made of obscured glass so the light from the bathroom flooded the bedroom during the night. I always travel with a sleep mask, so this was not an issue for me, but it may be an issue for travelers with any sleep sensitivity to light. Also, there is not really a lobby to speak of, only a reception area. No place outside of the room to lounge or wait (other than the bar).

In summary, if you are set on staying in this area then I would recommend this hotel. But, if you are still deciding on a neighborhood, there are nicer, quieter areas with equivalent or better hotels in the same price range.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank phoenixjewel

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback regarding the hotel and its location. I
appreciate you sharing your experience at the Berkshire with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Berkshire in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 December 2011

The hotel is easy to find with the entrance just off Oxford Street. The reception was friendly. The disappointment was the room - small, in dismal browns (walls, furnishings), and in my view shabby. The sliding doors of the wardrobe required considerable effort to move them. The double bed was small. It had a plastic-looking headboard, and a `tired' armchair. The paintwork was cracked in parts. I asked about breakfast on check in and was offered a special rate. The buffet breakfast had a very good range of hot and cold quality food. I had to wait a long time to get attention when I went to pick up the luggage I left there after we checked out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.
With regards to the décor, we regularly inspect every room and have indeed an ongoing soft refurbishment program in place to make sure that the bedrooms are always maintained to the highest standard.
I have also discussed your complaint with the Front Office Manager for him to take action as it is clearly not the usual standards of the hotel.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused, and I hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 November 2011

I had made a booking on BOOKING.COM and when i arrived late at night they told me that they were overbooked!!!! Can you imagine that?

They made me wait for an hour and after that they give me a sister concern hotel which was nothing to write home about.

This is preposterous....what did they expect me to do understand their situation??

My advice once bitten twice shy!!! Never think of staying at just hotels. NEVER!!!!

Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear reviewer,

I was very sorry to hear about the problem you encountered while trying to check-in to the hotel during your last stay with us and would like to apologise for the undoubted inconvenience caused.
Unfortunately the hotel was overbooked, hence the reason why we had organised alternative accommodation with one of our sister properties.
I can assure you this is by no means indicative of our usual high standards, and I sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to try and make amends on your next visit to London.
Please email me directly prior your next visit and I will make sure that your stay will be 100% to your satisfaction.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2011

when we did our London trip this year we wanted to be close to Oxford street, the main reason was for shopping.
this was a great hotel, for the price.
close to the tube.
service was great, and people where friendly.

Room Tip: off the corner of Oxford street
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of The Berkshire Hotel. I was very pleased to read good comments about our staff & the hotel. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Berkshire Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Fantastic location just a few steps from Bond Street tube station and Selfridges. Hotel is a bit worn down and rooms a bit oldfashioned. Overall a nice hotel, but not worth the price.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
XParis, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review although naturally I am disappointed that you feel your stay was not as it should have been.

We regularly inspect every room and have an ongoing soft refurbishment program in place to make sure that the bedrooms are always maintained to the highest standards.

As you also mentioned, the Berkshire is ideally located for exploring the chic shopping areas of Oxford Street and Bond Street, with the delights of Tiffany, Armani and Selfridges right on the doorstep.
Once again, I do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Berkshire in the near future.

Reviewed 16 November 2011

This is the second time I have stayed at the Radisson Berkshire on Oxford Street in Central London. This latest trip was a 10 day expedition that involved taking 3 children (5-14 yrs) and their mum around the city and to Legoland and outlet shopping. It was a great opportunity for the children to experience living in a big city and to use their English on a daily basis. The location was fantastic and allowed us to walk nearly everywhere including fantastic restaurants and shows each evening. We stayed in delux rooms which were larger than the standard rooms and much needed to accomodate our additional bags from all of our shopping and an additional bed for a child. I would have appreciated having the sheets changed every 3 days instead of only once during a 10 night visit like other 4/5 star hotels we have stayed at. Although on Oxford Street with major roadworks and tube construction going on the room was relatively silent and comfortable. The managers especially Dev Nandy were excellent in assisting us with any issues, restaurant recommendations, organising drivers and tickets to shows etc. I really helped with creating a great trip for everyone. I would definitely stay there again when next in London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors and preferably at the end of the hallway so that you don't h...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
XParis, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Dear Reviewer,

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Berkshire and I am grateful for your complimentary review.
The hotel team are all extremely passionate about delivering a consistent high standard of guest service at all times and Dev has once again proven that nothing is too much trouble.