“Take Your Own Alarm”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire
Ranked #354 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 January 2012

This hotel was in a very good location for shopping. It was nice and clean and very secure. I had to remember to bring room key each time I got on the elevator. The room was small - but it was nice and clean and the bathroom was very nice. There was a trouser press, hot water kettle. It was nice and close to the tube station. It was easy to walk there - even with luggage. There were nice restaurants within walking distance. The only problem I had was that I called the front desk for a wake up call - leaving for the airport the next day - no one bothered to call the morning I was departing. It was disappointing that the staff did not make the effort to ring our room. I did like the location, and would use my own alarm the next time. I don't think there was a clock in the room. Free wi-fi was nice.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view, but we were shopping.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
14  Thank lotus2s
XParis, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for sharing with other Tripadvisor users your experience of the Berkshire hotel.
I am really sorry that we have missed your wake up call and would like to apologise for the undoubted inconvenience caused.
I have already spoken to the Front office Manager to investigate the matter and take actions as it is not the usual standards of the hotel.
Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest Regards,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,043)

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I stayed in a regular room for a week in mid-December 2011. I had requested a non-smoking room, quiet/away from the elevators with early checkin, and a king size bed. All of these were met which was great -- I had a room facing Oxford Street on the 5th floor, far from the elevators. My only negative comment is that the non-smoking room had a faint smell of cigarette smoke -- I would get a whiff when I walked in, but it was tolerable. The room didn't reek, so I didn't say anything about it.

Everything in my room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. The room was pretty large, by European standards. I had a few windows, all facing Oxford street -- but I was on a high floor so I never heard any street or construction noise. A colleague of mine was on a lower floor facing a construction site next door and she complained that they were working all night. Also, I got a wakeup call each day, and it was always on time.

The hotel is IMMACULATE, and the staff were always unfailingly polite, and helpful. Once I was doing some work in the ground floor cafe (they have free wifi) one afternoon, and had to leave my laptop for a few moments. The waiter called someone over from the Concierge's staff, and he personally kept an eye on my belongings, which was very nice. Also, as a side note, the dorky American in me was thrilled that when I ordered my pot of tea and it came with a "sweet" -- an amazing cocoa-covered chocolate biscuit.

I ate breakfast there a few times -- twice at the Ascots restaurant down stairs, and had room service breakfast delivered three times. The set buffet is decent and pricey, but that's just London, and came with lots of juice choices, which I appreciate. The first time I ordered room service, I got coffee (it was really weak and undrinkable), yogurt, and a breakfast sandwich (literally just a slice of ham with mayo on bread) and was pretty disappointed. The second and third time I tried room service I got the breakfast "to go" -- it is delivered in all portable bag, with everything wrapped well for travelers who want to grab their breakfast and run. This time I was very happy with it, since I got tea (perfect), yogurt (it was delightful -- Losely's yogurt -- very creamy and delish), and a pain au chocolat. The room service delivery was always on time.

I had business meetings nearby in Grosvenor Square, so I found the location to be convenient, and also well connected. The Bond Street Station is literally across the street, and the hotel is walkable to many shopping areas - Oxford street, Piccadilly Circus, Regent Street, etc. The best little shopping area/restaurants I found were in St. Thomas' Square (I think). It is literally off a tiny alleyway next to the H&M closest to the hotel, and is well lit, and adorable. I far preferred that area and Marylebone High Street, to the hustle and bustle of Oxford and Regent Streets.

For checkout, my bill was perfect (impressive considering I had paid for meals with my AMEX half the time, and charged to my room the other half of the time), and I had no issues. I had called down to the Concierge ten minutes prior to checkout, and requested they call a cab, which was there on time. All in all, I had a good stay, and would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a high room, away from the elevators and construction side.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank LaceyC
XParis, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely detailed feedback regarding the hotel and its location.
We are delighted to hear that you had a nice stay with us and that the service offered was up to your expectation.
Once again, we do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Berkshire in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed in deluxe rooms 618 and 619 from 13-15 Jan 2012. Excellent location for our shopping trip. Good sized twin rooms on 6th floor. Bathrooms varied between rooms, one had a shower over bath, the other had no bath. No noise heard at night and good views to Oxford Street. Breakfast taken both mornings was fantastic and no waiting for tables.
It was a shame we felt that sometimes the service let The Berkshire down –
1. We had to wait 45 minutes for our afternoon tea to arrive (which was lovely when it finally arrived).
2. Coffee cups and bathrobes were removed from our room and not replaced (quickly rectified upon call to reception).
3. On checking room bills, we had been overcharged (again quickly rectified by reception).
4. Make sure you state you want a black cab when asking hotel to book a taxi for you. We asked hotel to book us a taxi to Euston station and this cost £20.00!! (double what black cabs charge).
Just little irritations that could easily be avoided.
I would stay again if I could get a good deal as you can’t beat the hotel’s location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on high floor to avoid traffice noise from Oxford Street.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carolinedavis5

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your review although I am sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not to your satisfaction due to a number of issues and I really appreciate your comments.
I have already discussed your complaint with the management team for them to take immediate actions as it is not the usual standards of the hotel.
Once again, I do apologise again for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you back to the Berkshire hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I would like to record my sincere gratitude and heartfelt appreciation to
your dedicated front office and ground floor F&B staff for their kind
services and hospitality rendered to me and my family during our stay at
your Radisson Edwardian, Oxford Street.

We certainly look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I was so pleased to read so many different positive comments from you.

I was very pleased to read such positive comments about our staff & standards and it is heartening to see that the little things we do are noticed & it makes us even more determined to get things right for our guests.
I will pass your compliments to the team and I am sure they will be delighted and encouraged.

I look forward to your return to The Berkshire!

Regards,

Reviewed 7 January 2012

On my last trip to europe i stayed in three different hotels. The Radisson was by far the best. For london i was very pleased with the room size and the Location was great, right across from the nearest tube station making travel very easy. The staff were very friendly and we felt very welcome.

On my trip we stayed in various hotels across Britan and Europe all around the same value and type and my partner and i both concluded that the Radisson was by far the best and we would both be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: If not intending to stay in your room much i wouldn't upgrade the room. We stayed in both the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of The Berkshire Hotel. I was very pleased to read such positive comments about our staff & the service provided.
We pride ourselves on the excellent service that we provide to all our customers.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Berkshire Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

My husband and I were due to stay at the Radisson for two nights only in Nov 2011 but unforeseen events meant we needed to stay an extra two weeks.
Overall this is not a bad hotel. Superb location, being right on Oxford Str and across the road from Bond Str Tube station, and with that it should be noted that the hotel is really quiet when the windows are shut. This works well in Winter, but you probably want a room at the back if you're staying in the summer.

The rooms are TINY. We actually considered upgrading, but upon inspection the 'Upgrade' rooms were not much bigger, and for the extra cost of them we decided to stomach the smaller room. This is probably okay for a night or two, but if like us and our friends you are there on business and for longer, the room can be really claustrophobic.

The decor is on the verge of being a little dated and they still use the small old TV sets from the 90s. Again not bad if you are there short term, but if like us you wanted to just sit back and watch telly for a night or two on a long stay, it was not the most comfortable experience.

The hotel is clean. This was a big plus for me. And room service was very efficient.
The room service and restaurant menu are brilliant, and we ate pretty much everything from the menu during our stay and must compliment the chef on the delicious cooking.

The beds were very comfy and the tiny desk in the corner aided me in the work I needed to do while being there. The free wi-fi is definitely not adequate for business, so you may have to buy the paid-for internet access which is super fast but costs you a whack at £17 per day. There is a business centre on the top floor but we never used this. I'm sure that would have been more adequate in some respects.

Breakfast was our favourite part of the day. This alone made it all worth while :)
What a spread. From full English breakfast, to continental to salmon, the works... just dee-vine. As a little treat we would take a couple of the chocolate croissants with us for a mid morning snack. Impossible to eat at breakfast with everything else going.

The staff were overall friendly. But it must be said that during busy times it was best to avoid them as they became highly strung and stressed out and tended to snap a lot. Outside of the busy times they were always helpful and considerate.

A big downside for a long term stay like ours was that there are no leisure facilities like gym, sauna or pool which would have been superb. Again this is not an issue if you're there short term. And the location certainly makes up for it.

Overall, I would stay here again for a short visit, but definitely not for longer than 4 nights max.

Room Tip: Although an Oxford Street view is nice these rooms are substantially noisier, especially in the Summ...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank themusicexperience

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of The Berkshire Hotel. I was very pleased to read your positive comments about your overall stay and the quality of the breakfast.
With regards to the gym, unfortunately as you mentioned, we do not have one on site, however our guest can freely use the one located at The Mayfair, one of our sister hotels.
Once again, I do appreciate you sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor users and the team and I would be more than happy to welcoming you back to the Berkshire in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Found this gem of a hotel a few years ago. Have stayed there several times now. Would always go back. The hotel is ideally situated just off Oxford Street near the entrance to Bond St Tube Station. The staff are freindly and very helpful. The lounge has been recently refurbished and has a boutique style. The quality of the food is very high. The menu has choices for every taste.
We were especially impressed by the Onion Soup in the Apex Lounge bar. The chef was kind enough to share the recipe. Indeed, he came out from the kintchen to speak to us about it. A nice , personal touch and one which we really appreciated - thank you !!!!!
Nothing is too much for the staff at the Radisson Berkshire. They make the place.
Well done.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I was very pleased to read such positive comments about our staff & the service provided.
I will be certain to pass your comments on to Rahul, our head chef , who will feel very proud to hear your compliments.

It is heartening to see that the little things we do are noticed & it makes us even more determined to get things right for our guests.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Berkshire Hotel in the near future.