“Communication issues”

Ranked #354 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Communication issues”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Hotel itself is situated just off Oxford St (near Debenhams) so location wise it's not bad. We checked in and reception very helpful & offered to arrange taxi to the theatre that evening. We were then told that only one lift was working as the other was having work done - surely this is something that should have been advised prior to arrival? The waiting time's were had to endure for the lift were a big headache.
Anyway, we arrived in reception in the evening at the time told to us and basically people were stood around looking bewildered and after checking outside & seeing no taxi's my wife asked the lady at the reception (who supposedly arranged the taxi) what time the taxi was due & she just shrugged and advised that 'all taxi's had been cancelled' and then walked off..!!
It was pouring down but we had no option but to go out onto Oxford St and hail a taxi - it took a while but finally we got one & just made the theatre in time for the start.
I raised the issue with management the next morning and was told it was out of their hands & just blamed the taxi co. I asked what happened to the communication, i.e. phoning cust's rooms beforehand & advising there was a problem? They just weren't interested!
The air-con in our room didn't work on heat, just blew cold air all the time but luckily were were out most of the time in the day so it wasn't an issue.
When checking out there was another customer who was going ballistic with them over lack of communication (again) and promises made but not kept.

I stay in HK a lot on business and for the money charged per night by the Radisson I could have got a very decent hotel in Kowloon and the service would put the Radisson to shame.

If you want location for shopping etc & money no object then this hotel is ok. But I would seriously shop around if you want service & comfort....

Room Tip: The King bedrooms are in the corner of the hotel and make sure you get one with a view of Oxford St...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BarbaraFrigiolini, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear of the trouble you experienced the evening that you were off to the theatre. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, a number of black taxi reservations were cancelled late in the evening. The staff who were on duty ran out into the street to flag down several taxi's for guests who were waiting. I commend them for their commitment to service and their 'Yes I Can' attitude toward helping our guests. I am sorry that you felt that there was a lack of communication between the front office staff and yourselves however, and I apologise for any inconvenience that was caused.

Kind Regards,
Jonathan Ware
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

we had a fantastic dinner at Scoff and Banter restaurant

The staff did a great job and were really professional.
The food was delicious and the presentation suburb. The menu options were interesting and the way the food was served and the plates it was served on were really well thought out.

Overall, We were all very impressed with the food, service and atmosphere and would certainly come back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Emma,
Thank you so much for your beaming review of Scoff and Banter at The Berkshire. I know that the staff who are working in the restaurant will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed, and that you were so impressed with the hard work and energy they have been putting in. We would be delighted to see you back dining with us again in the near future.
Kindest Regards,

Jonathan Ware
Guest Relations Manager
Melvin Village, New Hampshire
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Excellent location to access trains and buses. Great location to get to lots of restaurants just a few blocks away. Room was clean but small. Hotel well maintained. The breakfast that was included was very good. The restaurant staff was extremely cordial and helpful. Since we stayed for a week they got to know us and were ready with our coffee and tea each day. We would recommend to friends and family. Also very convenient access to shopping.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
BarbaraFrigiolini, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Josie,

Thank you for your patronage, it is hugely gratifying to read when staff efforts are acknowledged by our guests, I shall ensure your comments are shared with the entire team.

We appreciate your time you have taken on post this review which will indeed help other travellers to make an informed choice on their accommodation when in London. I am glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Next time you stay with us you absolutely must dine in our restaurant, we have monthly offers in keeping with seasons

I sincerely hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire in near future.

Warm regards,
stafford
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Our daughter treated us to an overnight stay to see a show.Excellent location.wonderful staff especially Sandra on reception who is an ambassador for fantastic customer service.Wonderful afternoon tea.Excellent assortment of sandwiches and pastries.Room not large but beautifully appointed.We had a wonderful time.Thank you to the staff and our darling daughter who treated us.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Diane,

Wow! Thank you for posting such a detailed and wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

This is exactly what we aim to achieve 100% guest satisfaction. Your kind words are a great help in keeping us motivated to provide this level of service for each and every guest. My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I believe our service delivery and attitude is fundamentally the most important aspect affecting a hotel stay and I am extremely please to read that we had ticked all the boxes.

I trust others travellers will find your review helpful and very much look forward to welcome you back to the Radisson-Blu Edwardian Berkshire sometime in the near future.

Kindest regards,
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with work and the location is great, 2 minutes from Bond St tube on the central line. I arrive quite late in the evening and there was only one person on reception so there was quite a wait. One of the lifts was out of order and there was a queue so the stairs it was, luckily I was only on the 3rd floor (4th if you count the mezzanine!) I finally reached my room and whilst it was nice and modern and clean it was pretty small and the bathroom was small too. Fine for an overnight stay but I wouldn't have fancied a weekend or longer in that kind if space. I didn't get chance to use the restaurant or anything and checkout was a lot quicker than checking in. I think there are better options in London if you look around.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Johnathan,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Berkshire Hotel on your recent trip to London, and for taking the time to post your review on Trip advisor. May I also thank you for highlighting what a wonderful location we enjoy here at the Berkshire Hotel. It really is one of the best in London and so convenient for anything and everything!!

Due to the nature of our building, our rooms do vary in size and I am sorry that on this occasion you were allocated a small one. I would be grateful if you would contact me via the hotel prior to your next visit so I may personally oversee the details of your reservation and ensure that you receive one of our best rooms!

Looking forward to welcome you back

Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I was visiting my family in London over Christmas stayed at the Berkshire hotel. I had a great stay, the staffs were very friendly. On arrival the general manager was around to welcome us. It was very personalised different from other hotels I have stayed in London. Warm, welcoming and fantastic location within walking distance to Selfridges my favourite shop in London.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Mo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor, it is much appreciated.
I am ever so glad to read that you are a loyal advocate of The Berkshire hotel and that you enjoy every stay with us! We always aim to provide a friendly and efficient service. I really appreciate your staff recognition, please be assured that I have passed on your kind comments to the rest of the team.
If there is anything I can be of help with or to assist with any future reservations please don’t hesitate to let me know directly via the hotel reception.

Warmest Regards,
norfolk
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Had a lovely afternoon on our wedding anniversary at this hotel.Delicious assortment of sandwiches and scones etc.Very good waiting staff.Would recommend.Hotel is just off oxford street so very central.Beautiful and clean also nothing to much trouble for staff.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tuckswood
BarbaraFrigiolini, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Tuckswood,

Thank you for your lovely feedback on your experience of Afternoon tea at The Radisson Blu Edwardian Berkshire Hotel . It is so lovely to hear that you made the right choice. Our beautiful cosy drawing is the perfect place to relax and unwind and enjoy the delicious selection of sandwiches, scones & cakes. I am pleased that you were well looked after and will be returning in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can make a booking for you.

Warm regards,