“Great location, excellent staff”
Review of Rathbone Hotel

Rathbone Hotel
Ranked #273 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I had two nights in London and wanted a decent hotel without breaking the bank. The Rathbone was perfect: walking distance to many of the sites I most wanted to see--especially the British Museum. I felt safe in the neighborhood, there were plenty of good restaurants and pubs within a block or two of the hotel, and it wasn't too loud. Best of all, the price was reasonable. I see the reviews saying the hotel needs updating. I didn't find the rooms or lobby too dated, and it certainly was clean and seemed well maintained. I can't imagine finding a place in NYC of equivalent quality for such a reasonable price, so I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Miguel S, Assistant Hotel Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for the time you spent posting this great review.

As you mentioned, our location is absolutely outstanding, we are right in the middle of one the busiest areas of London, yet in a quiet street.
We are most pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Rathbone Hotel. Our aim is to provide a great service to all our guests, making their stay something to enjoy and remember.

Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcome you again at The Rathbone Hotel.

Miguel Silva

Write a ReviewReviews (1,144)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Positives: great location close to many restaurants and not far from the tube; friendly staff; cozy lobby; ornate details reminiscent of another time; one of the better values in area; sheets felt high end; great water pressure.
Negatives: Internet was very expensive; rooms could use some updating (while maintaining charm); small room but I understand that is to be expected in London

We took full advantage of the cozy lobby to read, surf, meet with other family staying there and even babysit a 2 year old. Very welcoming area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and our location great.
Thank you for noticing our décor and sheets, and also by rating us as one of the better values in the area.
Regarding the Wifi, we have a special promotion for returning guests, and if you book through our reservations department with the promotional code supplied (you can call the hotel providing the details of your last reservation, and we will supply the code) you will get, not only the best available rate at the time of your booking, but also, complimentary Wifi throughout your future stay.

Thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have stayed at the Rathbone before as it is near to my office and I always enjoy the time. The location really is first class just off Oxford St and ideal for the best of the West End, but while the lobby is quite ornate the rooms are in need of a facelift as they are looking very tired now.
I expect the location will usually swing it for most people but as they compete with much smarter local hotels (that cost the same) such as the Rathbone, Soho & recently refurbished Morgans on Berners St, I would fear for their business if this is not done, particularly as it could never be described as cheap.

Room Tip: At the back, not overlooking Charlotte St as this can be noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

Thank you for highlighting our position in this great city. We are close to a large number of attractions either for leisure or business.

I am sorry that you found the rooms tired, we usually receive very nice compliments about our traditional rooms and décor, nevertheless thank you for your comment which we will also take into consideration.

We hope we will see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The Rathbone is a real find. Relatively inexpensive by London standards (approx $120 for an upgraded single room which included complimentary wifi) my entire experience at the Rathbone exceeded my expectations. The front desk staff was friendly and personable, the hotel has great charm, and the room was spacious, clean and well-appointed (though I didn't realize until my one-night stay was just about over that the nightstand cabinet was where the tea, coffee, hairdryer, and hot-water kettle were being stored.

Based on the previous reviews I asked for a quiet room and got one on the second floor at the back of the hotel. It was the proverbial 'silent as the grave.'

Yes, the lift is a bit small and the hallways are narrow, but those are niggling complaints and frankly, to me, they added to the charm. Stepping inside the Rathbone it is easy to imagine you are being transported to al time before the era of the megaplex hotels. Staying at the Rathbone is a refined, elegant experience that harkens back to a more genteel age, and at a bargain price. Highly, highly recommended.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if it's needed, but I asked for a quiet room as had been suggested in other rev...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank OnTheRoad613

I am delighted with your review, is always very grateful for me and for the rest of the staff reading reviews like the one you wrote.

I was glad to read that your visit was enjoyable, that you found our staff efficient and the room according to your requests. Thank you for your compliments and I am most pleased that you find the Rathbone Hotel refined and elegant.

I hope that we can have the honour of your visit in a not too distant future, and once again make your stay most enjoyable.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

A very good small hotel in a quiet side street in one of London's best "villages" of Fitzrovia / Bloomsbury. If you want a soul-less, large chain hotel, with a line of robotic receptionists in a marble foyer with atrium, liveried door-men, wooden floors in your room and a trouser press, this is not the place for you.

Check-in was welcoming and efficient. The room on the top (5th) floor was large and warm with carpeted floor, plenty of hanging space, a tray of tea-making things in the cupboard including tea-pot (!), towelling robes hanging in wardrobe, comfortable beds. Hairdryer in drawer in desk.

Large bathroom with WC, bidet, and bath with rainfall-type shower overhead. The bath appeared to have jacuzzi fittings but we didn't try that. Good thick towels and plenty of counter space for your own things, which is so rare in many hotels.

All the staff were cheerful and efficient and spoke perfect English (most of them seemed to be Spanish). Breakfast was good - better than many other hotels I've visited - and served till 11am at weekends. We were offered a discounted rate when checking in, for a hot breakfast (they call it Full English but you can choose your own ingredients). I'm not sure I'd do that again, since the cold buffet looked extremely good and varied.

Small bar at ground floor with extra seating in lounge-type area across the entrance-way. The clientele was younger than I'd been expecting from previous reviews here.

The only minuses were: no minibar, somewhat bothersome A/C fan but this was silenced by opening a window slightly. Couldn't work out how to turn off only one bedside light and leave the other on, but these are minor niggles and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StripedShirt

Thank you very much for your nice review.

We at the Rathbone Hotel are very glad to know that we were part of a good travel experience, and I am very pleased that you found the hotel clean, the bed comfortable and the continental breakfast extremely good and varied. I will pass this comment on to everyone, with special attention to our Breakfast chef.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and we all look forward to welcoming you again in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We only had one night here but it is our second time at the hotel. We arrived after lunch and our room was ready, in a quite position as I had requested. The room was decorated well and had water/magazines and a complimentary news paper (next morning) and breakfast as part of our deal. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with nice white bed covers. The staff were friendly and helpful we asked for an extra pillow and it was there on our return after shopping. You get a 10% discount for certain restaurants locally which is useful. There are many restaurants to chose from in close proximity and it is easy to walk to Oxford St/Regents St. Our included breakfast was Continental. There was juice, fruits, cereals, yogurt, croissants, danish pastries, ham, cheese and lovely fresh breads. All in all it is a very good hotel with a lot going for it we would go again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kvh315

Thank you for the time you took posting this lovely review.

We, in the Rathbone Hotel, are very proud whenever we receive a compliment about our service, friendliness and capacity to personalise our welcome to every guest that we accommodate, because that is our aim, to exceed guest expectations and treat everyone as an individual and not as a number.

I am happy to hear that you will come back, and we are all looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I stayed at the Rathbone for one night. It is located very central in London. The staff is friendly, the food is good. Both room service and breakfast is great. The rooms are okay. I like the fact that it is a small hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you found your stay with us enjoyable. I will pass your comments to all our staff, and I am sure that they will welcome you in your next visit with the same friendly smile.

I am looking forward to your next visit to The Rathbone Hotel.