“Good value for London”

Ranked #293 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Manchester
“Good value for London”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to the Rathbone. Reception was quick and painless. I was given a single room (507) overlooking roofs to the rear, not very exciting but at least it was quiet. The room was simple and clean but you should note that there were no tea/ coffee making facilities, which I now expect as standard. Reasonably firm bed. Shower but no bath. I was offered an upgrade to a double room with free wifi for an additional £30 but declined for just one night. The main attraction of this hotel was the price and, bearing in mind that it was London, I was satisfied with what I was given. The location is near Googe Street underground station. This is accessible for the British Museum but a fair hike for most other places of interest in London. The full English breakfast was £15 if you preorder and I thought it was a nice touch that you could book a time/ table in case they were busy the next morning (they weren't). I would happily stay here again for a short visit but, due to the location, it probably wouldn't be my first choice when visiting London for pleasure.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mjpartridge
MKavanagh, General Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit. We do offer tea and coffee making facilities in all guest bedrooms and I’m sorry if its location was inconspicuous. Thank you also for highlighting some of the services we offer and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Margaret Kavanagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Finnish first
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed overnight for a shopping trip and Shared an executive twin( 208) with my daughter ( I think I was upgraded from a standard room) The executive twin was small and a bit tired but overall quite well appointed . Lovely bed linen,a tea making tray, fridge, telly. Rather cramped with too much furniture which I re arranged !! The bathroom was a bit tired and cold as the towel rail wasnt on and couldnt be turned on. A tiny bath with a VERY SLOW PATHETIC bath/shower tap. The bath took AGES to fill ( once i had worked out how to work the tap !) AAaaagh !!
White company smellies.
The bar area and entrance were pleasant, the staff helpful, the decor pleasantly rich and "old style" opulent. When we first walked in it felt very "nice" unlike some hotels when you walk in you feel disappointed.
5 mins walk to the bottom of Oxford Street with lots of bars/bistros/ restaurants virtually next door so we shopped, drank and ate without using any transport which was great - and quite a money saver. There is a bus stop very close by if needed. PLUS i walked from the hotel to Kings Cross to catch my train home- 20 minutes. I would stay again if the price was right.
room 208 looked out over Rathbone street.

Room Tip: There is some road noise ( we were on 2nd floor) so possibly a higher floor would be quieter - there...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank lipsticklover
Thank you for staying with us on your shopping trip to London and as you pointed out, the perfect location to access so much of central London on foot. We are very pleased to have been able to provide a base for you, delighted that you enjoyed our amenities and that our team were helpful to you. We were sorry to read that you felt the water pressure was unsuitable and that there was room for improvement in some areas. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will visit us again soon.

With kind regards

Stornoway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in January. The price is reasonable for central London, and the location means almost everything is in walking distance. We had an executive room, which had a little more space than a basic room which was helpful, giving us a sitting area other than the bed. Free bottled water was a nice touch. The only down side was that the bath was too small to stretch out in, so you had to take a bath with bended knees. That aside, I would stay there again, and recommend to any-one wanting a central location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience and for commending our hotel. As many of our guests have highlighted, our central location provides a perfect base for many well-known London areas, popular streets and attractions with little necessity for public transport. Thank you again for choosing our hotel and we hope you will visit us again soon.

Kind regards

Moscow
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've stayed here about 5 or 6 times now and usually request it from our travel department as it's walking distance to one of our London offices.

The cooked breakfast is good, but the staff didn't seem to know what baked beans (to go with my cooked breakfast) were, which was strange. Eventually I think I got some, but about 10 minutes after I had finished breakfast.

The rooms, especially single rooms, are tiny. I had to laugh when I asked for an ironing board but the guy who delivered it couldn't fit it in the room.....without moving furniture that then blocked his exit from the room!

One other gripe is there is no overnight ironing service - I usually fly in quite late and then have early morning meetings so I don't want to spend valuable time ironing. There's a dry-cleaning service which is 24 hours but many people need something overnight. I would be happy to pay for this if they could arrange.

The rooms are quiet and peaceful as well as having very comfortable beds and a good choice of food on the room service menu.

I now normally book a double room (for the extra room) and ask for something quiet too. I've tried to upgrade (at a cost of course) at check-in a few times but have had no luck.

The reception staff vary from extremely friendly and welcoming to very serious and business-like, depending on who's working.

The lobby bar is small and cosy but lacks that extra bit of quality service that would make it special. It's close to being a lovely little area, but just needs a bit more effort.

Overall, the location's great, it's quite good, it could do better (ironing service and little more attention to detail) but I like it and that's why I go back 5 or 6 times a year.

I'll be visiting again in mid-Feb (and arriving about 11pm) so I hope that they've manage to find a way to provide an overnight ironing service that even some of the most basic hotels manage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for choosing our hotel as your base in London. We aim to offer personal service to our guests and endeavour to accommodate requests as much as possible to provide and enjoyable and hassle free stay. I would ask you to contact me direct to allow an opportunity to ensure that your highlighted preferences are carried forward to future reservations, I am confident that we can fulfil your requests. Thank you once again for sharing your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With kind regards

Kent England
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This hotel ticked all the boxes for us. We only stayed the one night, on a Saturday, but everything about the hotel is ideal for a stay in the centre of London. 200 yards from Oxford Street, 10 minutes walk to Covent Garden and most of the theatres and there are some great local restaurants that the staff are happy to advise on.

A good experience. Well done The Rathbone!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Miguel S, Assistant Hotel Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for sharing this kind comments following your visit to The Rathbone Hotel.

I will pass on your lovely comments to our team who will be very happy and it will motivate them even more to welcome all our future guests.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
cotswolds
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I recently stayed at the Rathbone on a business/leisure trip. The hotel itself is beautiful- everything is done to a very high standard and the whole facility is immaculate. The staff are very professional and friendly. You really feel welcome and almost part of a small family here. The location is perfect- right in the centre of London, very easy to walk to Oxford Circus, Soho, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, etc., and right by the Tube. Too many restaurants and pubs to count, so you're spoiled for choice. Has to be one of the best deals in town. I'll stay here every time I go to London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kmnCotswolds
I am delighted with your review, is always very grateful for me and for the rest of the staff reading reviews like the one you wrote.

Thank you for mentioning our fantastic location and our professional staff.

I hope that we can have the honour of your visit in a not too distant future, and once again make your stay perfect.

Kind Regards,
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

A great location with everything on your doorstep. Check in was quick and painless. The hotel was quiet and clean and good value for money. A few niggles, the heating wasn't great, the shower wasn't overly hot and didn't appreciate having to pay £15 a day for wifi. Having said that I complained about the heating and we got moved to a warmer room with no hesitation, the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am very pleased that you found the Rathbone Hotel good value for money, and the staff very friendly.

We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,