“I love The Rathbone”

Ranked #293 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Houston, Texas
“I love The Rathbone”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel was recommended by a friend who had stayed there. I was so impressed by the comfort of the hotel. It's got a very "homey" as we say in Texas, feel. Every member of the staff are very friendly and very customer service oriented. The restaurant for breakfast is very nice. They have a great buffet for the Continental breakfast...or for a little more, you can order the English Breakfast. Their coffee is excellent and served in your own personal French press pot. The pastries they serve at breakfast are excellent quality...croissants etc. Very flaky and good flavor. They also offer 24 hour room service. I used room service one night when I was too exhausted to go out. Everything I ordered was so good and hit the spot.

I never heard my neighbors next door. Rooms were small as one should expect in London but very comfortable. The mattress in my room as nice and firm and I slept like baby on it Really nice bathroom with really great water pressure and plenty of hot water. I got a Jr. Double so I had a bathtub. The tubs are narrow and elevated quite a bit so you have to be very careful when stepping in and out of it. They do have a grab handle on the tile to use when getting in and out. And they supply a rubber mat.

I really enjoyed the cozy lobby. The quintessential British feel in it. I always took time to sit in it after coming in from touring just to change gears before going to my room. Also I enjoyed sitting there after breakfast or before leaving to collect my thoughts. The concierge is always ready to give advice, print a train schedule off the computer etc. to help with any questions you may have. There is a nice variety of small restaurants around the hotel.

I arrived from Heathrow via the tube...and will never do that again....yes it's cheaper but hauling my suitcase up and down the steps in the tube was difficult. When I left, I took a taxi hailed by the concierge directly to Paddington (about 13 GBP) and took the Heathrow Express to LHR.

Next time I'm in London, that will be home!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DanielHouston_Texas
MKavanagh, General Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments and for highlighting our service and facilities. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the Rathbone Hotel is now your London home.

We hope that you will visit us again soon and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards
Margaret Kavanagh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel, the room was so beautiful with traditional decor and fittings. The staff couldn't have been any friendlier or helpful. A few minutes walk to the west end and just as close to soho. We will be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Miguel S, Assistant Hotel Manager at Rathbone Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments following your stay with us.

I am very pleased that you found the décor of the Rathbone Hotel beautiful. Thank you for mentioning the helpfulness of the staff, they will be very pleased with it.

Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Very conveniently located, about 10 minutes walk from Oxford Circus. This property is just stone's throw away from some really vibrant restaurants and bars in Soho. Though slightly old fashioned for my taste and rooms are somewhat small yet very clean property which matters more for me. Staff is super helpful and very courteous. I just wished they had remembered to inform me that Wi-fi was included in my base rate so I could have turned off my international roaming and saved some for a better tip. Breakfast is slightly overpriced given that the neighborhood has several more appealing options. Overall I felt it worth the price for a business traveller given the convenience factor. I would be happy to stay go back again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review.

We always aim to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I will pass on the comments to our staff who will be thrilled with such nice review.

We are looking forward to welcome you in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Having braced myself for another rip off night in London, I was astonished to discover The Rathbone Hotel which is ...well, nice! It is very handily located near Tottenham Court Road, a short walk from Oxford Street, and a 15 minute walk from Euston. The room service menu is uninspiring, so I popped out to Sainsburys Local, bought my tea, and spent a very nice evening working and watching the Champions League. For anyone with a less dull life, the surrounding area is full of small, interesting looking bars and restaurants. The room was clean, the bathroom functional, and the breakfast was...nice ( although at £15 so it should be! - one day hotels will realise that they will sell more breakfasts if they cut the cost). Recommended for location and service - and the concierge is really...nice and helpful!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank andrew b
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you found our location handy and the hotel nice.
I am disappointed that you thought that our room service menu is somewhat uninspiring, but we are working every day in new ideas, and on your next visit I am sure that we will have some new items that will leave you mouth-watering, like our English breakfast did.
I will also pass on your comments to our concierge, who will be delighted.

I hope to see you again soon at The Rathbone.

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Comfortable stay in this boutique hotel rooms adequate and very clean not too far to walk to the theatres and to covent garden so fairly central. The white company toiletries and tea and coffee making facilities in the room. The best feature about this hotel is the breakfast which was freshly made and very tasty. Over priced but it is central London and you do get what you have paid for. Overall not a bad stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ginge2011
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us.

Thank you for mentioning the breakfast, one of our best assets at the Rathbone, freshly prepared every morning by our Chef, and our toiletries. It is on the small details that we try to improve every day, to keep our standards high, and receive well.

leicestershire
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Really love the location, close to lots of restaurants. Small but intimate reception and bar. Like the fact it is less corporate. The rooms are ok but bathroom tired, but I believe the hotel are upgrading them, they need to for what they charge. Friendly, helpful staff. Plenty of choice if you prefer breakfast out of the hotel. Have visited many times and will again .

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for sharing this kind comments following your visit to The Rathbone Hotel.

I will pass on your lovely comments to our team who will be very happy and it will motivate them even more to welcome all our future guests. I am pleased that you will keep coming to The Rathbone Hotel.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Kind regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We booked this hotel at a discount rate. Its in a fantastic location, just off Charlotte Street which has a great range of bars and food all on the doorstep. Its also easy to walk to theatres and shopping on Oxford Street.
The staff were very friendly, the room was comfortable and clean and the breakfast was first rate for fresh fruit and tasty breads with great coffee ( a must have in my view!). So all in all a great choice, particularly if the rooms are selling at a discount.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely comments following your stay with us.

I am very pleased that your time at the Rathbone was of your liking. Thank you for mentioning the breakfast, one of our best assets at the Rathbone, freshly prepared every morning by our Chef.