“"Small friendly comfortable hotel in a great location"” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cranley Hotel

Cranley Hotel
Ranked #469 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Bembridge
“"Small friendly comfortable hotel in a great location"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Very happy to recommend this small friendly hotel which I will definately consider on my next visit to London. It is in a great location for Knightsbridge/Kensington shopping and museums and within easy walking distance of the Underground. Friendly reception staff and a comfortable clean room and it is also very competitvely priced for this type of hotel and area. It is a little bit tired in places and could do with some reupholstery of the furnishings in the room including the carpets. Also the continental breakfast included in the price that was served in the room was presented beautifully but consisted of only tea/coffee, bread or croissant and a fruitjuice. I think it woud be nice to add some fruit/youghur or ham/salami etc to the tray. You can order extras, English Breakfast etc at a high cost but in my opinion the included items should be a bit more substantial. Otherwise a lovely little hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cranleyhotel, Front Office Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to rate us.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Cranley Hotel.
I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding the room conditions; for the past months we have been working on improvement works in the rooms and we would love to welcome you back so you may have the opportunities to see the works we have done on the rooms.
Regarding the breakfast, we do offer our guests a wider variety of breakfast choices on the A La Carte Menu, which you could add to our choices of fixed breakfasts.

We would be pleased at the opportunity of seeing you back at the Cranley!

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any assistance.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

The Cranley is a charming hotel, ideally situated for visiting London, within easy walking distance to the London Museums, Royal Albert Hall and the shopping districts of Knightsbridge, Sloane Square and South Kensington. It is a delightful townhouse hotel and not one of your faceless chains, however there are a few basic issues that could easily be addressed and I am not certain why they have not been. We were situated on the first floor at the back of the hotel, in a very nice quiet room that was well decorated, albeit on the small size (if you were travelling with a lot of suitcases I am not sure where you would have stored them) However it was let down by the ripped fabric on the arm of the chair, the tears in the bed valance on the foot of the bed (which could easily been fixed with a needle and thread) and the stains on the blind at the window. We also had an unfortunate experience with the bedside light on the first morning of our stay when the lamp bulb blew with a loud bang and fused the lights in the room and bathroom, so not able to shower etc as the bathroom was in complete darkness..... not a comfortable start to the day in a rather hot and sticky London. We reported this to the receptionist, and most of the problem was solved by the time we returned in the afternoon, but still some issues which required a return visit from the maintainence people where we learnt that this was not the first time this had happened, the light in question having the same problem previously. In spite of this the hotel is quite delightful, with very helpful staff and in an ideal location. If the few things I have mentioned were dealt with, I would have had no hesitation in giving five stars to the hotel, however advertising that you are a luxury boutique hotel does not quite sit with rips and stains etc. which are just cosmetic issues that should be dealt with as soon as possible. All this being said, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was well appointed, with towels, bathrobes, slippers and good toiletries from Penhaligons. There is a well stocked fridge and snacks available in the room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank caroline186225
Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on us.
We are currently carrying out improvements and refurbishments in the hotel as we discussed when you put forward these issues upon your check out. I am truly very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you in another room during your stay, but as we are a small property operating on high demand, it was indeed not possible for us to give you another room.
We do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back again so you may experience the improvements that we are working hard to deliver to our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance.

With kind regards,
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We booked a number of rooms for family and friends attending my sons wedding.
From the minute we arrived up to us departing the staff were excellent nothing was too much trouble. The standard of the rooms was excellent. The hotel does not have a restaurant however there are numerous bars and restaurants close by to suit most tastes.
I would certainly book here again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cranleyhotel, Manager at Cranley Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind words.
We were very pleased to have been chosen by yourself for such a special and memorable occasion.
We do hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back to the Cranley.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of any assistance.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We booked this boutique hotel through Mr and Mrs Smith for one night. On arrival we were informed that we had been upgraded to the Penthouse Suite (we booked a superior room). The suite is located on the fourth floor (accessed via a staircase on the third floor). Rooms are classically decorated and have a comfortable feel. The beds were made with quality bedlinen and duvet. Although the hotel has no restaurant (the only real negative of the stay), we were offered the option of breakfast in our room or in the communal area at the front of the hotel. Penhaligon's toiletries are a suitable choice for the hotel due to the history of the building ownership. The location is ideal for visiting the many museums of South Kensington, and within walking distance of the tube. Front of house were exceptional, with a genuine warmth in their greeting (Tiffany was extremely attentive and appeared very skilled at her job). Complimentary champagne and canapés were served in the entrance area in the evening, and fresh juices and iced tea were available during the day.

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms are accessed via a staircase on the third floor. The Penthouse Suite has grea...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time on writing a review.
I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Cranley Hotel. I shall pass on your kind words to the Front of House team.

We do hope to see you again at the Cranley in the future.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at Cranley on our family vacation and had the most ordinary of experiences. Our room which was in the basement, was cramped and badly lit. The airconditioner refused to function, so they put up a portable unit in the small room with a hose needing to be dangled outside of the window! There was no restaurant so breakfast was in the room and the three of us had to take turns at the table in the room. Ofcourse i blame our travel company, Cox and Kings to have booked us in this hotel informing us that it was a 4 star hotel, while clearly this place lacked amenities to qualify as one. I must admit, though, that the staff were fabulous and tried to help as much as possible. But our overall experience prompted us to cancel the second leg of our stay on our return from Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank KazimJ
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the feedback provided.
I am very sorry to hear that you have found your stay ordinary and that you were unable to enjoy your spacious room in the lower ground floor. We would have loved to accommodate you in an Executive Room in the higher floors, but due to the high demand season you booked in, the number of Executive rooms available in the higher floors were very limited.
We do invite our guests to enjoy their meals in the lobby, aside from also providing them with a space to dine in their rooms, should they choose to do so.
We did understand your discomfort when you put forward the issue to us. We had offered you the chance of upgrading on a complimentary basis to a higher level Four Poster room for the second leg of your stay as a gesture of our goodwill and we were very sorry when we heard that you had cancelled your second stay.
Should you ever reconsider the option of staying with us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly; we would be very pleased to offer you the chance of experiencing the services and facilities that we do offer as a 4 star hotel with a 5 star service.

Please do let me know if I may be of assistance.

Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I loved this hotel! The decor is very chic, the neighborhood is quiet, yet close to tube stations and crowded roads. The staff is extremely friendly, they were really helpful and made my stay exceptional. The rooms are very well designed and the beds comfortable. I truly liked my stay at the Cranley and would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a lovely review.
We are very pleased to see that you were highly satisfied with your stay at the Cranley Hotel.
I will ensure to pass on the message to my colleagues as it is always a pleasure for us to help contribute in making our guests' stay as memorable and special as possible.
We hope to see you back soon with us!

Please do not hesitate to let us know if we may be of assistance.

Medford, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I travel quite a bit and I have to say this hotel was one of my best experiences. The ambience, location and professional but friendly staff are exceptional. I will definitely return to this boutique gem. While my dealings with everyone at the Cranley were excellent I would be remiss if I did not give a special mention of Alex and Tiffany who well represent the Cranley. I just apologize for taking so long (I stayed the first week of May) to post my wonderful recollections of the place.

Room Tip: For a taste of Old London charm get a room with a canopy bed.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate the time you have taken to leave us a review.
We would like to thank you for such kind words on the hotel and the staff, who do strive very hard to offer their best services.
We would be delighted of having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Cranley.

Please do let us know if we can be of any help.