“okay, nothing special”

Ranked #566 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Fareham, United Kingdom
“okay, nothing special”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Booked this hotel as somewhere to stay for a special anniversary weekend in London. Then, having read several reviews on Tripadvisor, we were horrified to discover how many people disliked it. I therefore sent them an email and asked for one of their refurbished rooms. To their credit, they replied quickly and agreed to our request. On arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly chap on reception, and were given a refurbished room, in the basement. It was fairly spacious, with a modern shower room, clean and warm. However, the rest of hotel is in dire need of redecoration and new carpets, and the bar/breakfast room isn't exactly welcoming. The food offered at breakfast was adequate, nothing special, and the girl who served us was monosyllabic (maybe because English clearly wasn't her first language). On our second night, as were getting into bed, we discovered that they had used two double sheets, top and bottom, laid horizontally, instead of king-sized ones. By the morning, the sheets were all rucked up and most uncomfortable. Also, the coffee sachets hadn't been replaced, so we could only make a cuppa on our first day. It's little things like that, that make all the difference between a good stay and an average one.

Room Tip: If you're already booked into this hotel and you can't change your arrangements, send them a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Langorf, Front Office Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Lepaix,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was "nothing special" and I am sure that, the next time, your will enjoy your experience.

We are planning to complete the refurbishment in January so the rest of the hotel will be in line with the style of the rooms.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly for your next booking and I will be more that happy to offer you a free upgrade in one of our executive rooms.

Renato Nunziata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
darlington
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Booked twin room got a double bed and single, bonus. Room was clean and very warm, spacious enough, new bathroom with lovely shower. Bar is pricey, and shares the breakfast room so not somewhere to spend a long time. Staff were all friendly enough. Continental breakfast was fine and plenty of it.you can park outside on the road and costs 20p for 7.5 mins and free outside 9.00-6.30pm. Easy to find just off finchley rd 10mins from m1, decent hotel at a decent price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank p11nnx
Langorf, Front Office Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear p11nnx,

Thank you for leaving your comment.

I am glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and I am sure that the next time will be the same.

I really hope to see you soon.

Please feel free to contact me directly for your future bookings.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The room was small, as expected but clean. Bathroom a little bit old but still acceptable. Breakfast was included and food was ok: savoury and sweet things. Good point is free Wi-Fi.
Hotel is average but I would return to this area because it is handy for subway. 5 mn walk, and then 2 or 3 stations away from a stop with many connections. Also, if you keep walking up the street (15-20 minutes) you'll reach the limit of Camden and Hampstead area: there is a nice "village" with Paul patisserie and other original cafes, Still a Tesco express is also available. On the opposite end, when walking towards the station "Finchley road", you have shopping mall and shops on main street with handy Subway for past midnight meal, and a good Korean restaurant.
Also, this Finchley road has stops for National Express and Terravision bus shuttle to/from Luton.
So overall, excellent location and hotel was acceptable for a long week-end.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Langorf, Front Office Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Portonian31,

Thank you for sharing your review.

I am happy to hear that you will come back to the Langorf hotel and I am sure that next time your will have an even better experience.

Bruchsal, Germany
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Location was fine, except for the unexpected uphill walk with luggage, but the Langorf Hotel is in serious need of a major refurbishment. The carpets and beds should have been replaced years ago, and the bathroom was in really bad condition. Just because a hotel is old, though, doesn't mean it has to be dirty. The kitchen and bathroom were repulsively dirty. My room was on the 3rd upper floor with no lift, so don't even think of staying here if you have any physical challenge with hills and stairs.

The breakfast room was far too small for the number of guests, so the staff quite rudely told people to wait until something was free. Even that is a simple thing: If there's not enough room, try being pleasant with your guests! The breakfast was one of the least appealling I've encountered at even really low-budget hotels in London.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone unless they are simply looking for a low price, the location is really convenient for them, and they don't have any problem with filth and mildew.

Room Tip: No lifts available, and everything is on a hill, so keep that in mind if you have any physical chall...
Dear ExilAmi,

I am really sorry to hear that you are so disappointed but thank you for your review that, will give us the opportunity to improve our service.

I hope that you will decide to come back soon and I will make sure that you will have one of the newly refurbished room so you will see that our rooms and our service are usually on a different standard than what you experienced.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for your future bookings and I will be more than happy to offer you a free upgrade in an Executive room.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

The photos looked promising but as soon as you walk through the front door you realise how tired the place is. It allegedly has 4 stars with AA and RAC but I suspect they got those the last time the place was decorated - late 1970's. Could be magnificent but tired furniture, carpets and decoration make this place one to forget. The bathroom was tiny and the tiles are cracked and the showerhead covered in limescale. Didn't try breakfast as we left too early but if the kitchen is anything like the rooms I suspect it wouldnt have been that great either.

Room Tip: Use the Holiday Inn express down the road!
2 Thank Spurs4eva
Dear Spurs4eva,

Thank you for sharing your review.

We have an on-going process of refurbishment that should end at the beginning of next year and I am sure that, if you decide to give as another chance, you will enjoy your stay and, maybe next time you will also have time to try our breakfast.

Please don't hesitate to contact me for your future bookings.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Very good & quiet location
Even breakfast was good
Reception is open 24 hours a day
However my room was really tinny, probably less than 12m^2
rooms and public area were not updated for years - the hotel needs renovation immediately!!
Tinny shower

1 Thank EyalS925
Dear Eyal,

Thank you for your review.

We are planning to complete the refurbishment of the hotel at the beginning of next year and I am sure that you will have even a better experience if you come back.

Newcastle
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel based on the location and earlier reviews. Unfortunately I have to agree with the more recent reviews in that the rooms don't match to photos. The hotel itself is very "English" and that is what we wanted in preference to a standard hotel room that look the same regardless of where in the world you are. Our first impressions were tainted by the state of the carpet in the foyer area... Threadbare!! Not a great first impression. Our room was one of the refurbished rooms but not sure how long ago that was as there was water leaking through the bathroom ceiling from the room above plus everything seemed to be done on the cheap sometime ago. It was very hot when we arrived and all the window were wide opened and there were NO insect screens so the room was full of bugs. Our room was on the ground floor facing the street and we had these massive spot lights shining on the facade to the early hours of the morning which lit up our room too. The free wifi is very slow and unreliable. The breakfast was quite nice but if you went late there was not much left and the staff could be a bit on the abrupt side and often stood chatting in the kitchen when their services were required in the dining room. Our bed was less than adequate with the sheets barely fitting the bed. Our room was quite large which was good and the location was handy and in walking distance to trains, buses and shops. We did not experience noise from other rooms or above as had been previously reported on TA and was a concern to me given that we were on the same floor as reception. Reception staff were polite and friendly but I had the feeling that they were telling me what I wanted to hear rather than the truth. Sadly NO we won't be back as it sounded so good when we booked months ago.....

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lovescruising
Langorf, General Manager at The Langorf Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Lovescruising,

Thank you for sharing your review.

I am really surprised to hear that you were not satisfied with one of our refurbished rooms and also to hear about the behaviour of the staff during the breakfast.
I will further investigate in order to make sure that this will not happen again.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity, I am sure that next time you will have a different impression.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you decide to come back in the future.