The Rubens at the Palace
The Goring(London)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
4,483 results
All reviewsbuckingham palacevictoria stationlibrary restaurantafternoon teaold masterscavalry barred carnationjames parkking roomfull english breakfastconcierge deskwonderful hotellovely roomgreen parktrafalgar squarebig benlocation was perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed 3 nights in November and overall our stay was ordinary which was disappointing.

The room:
The room we got on check-in was nicely decorated but with no view and it was very small and claustophobic. On speaking to the Front Desk we decided to pay the extra 20 pounds per night and upgrade to a room with a view.
Be aware there are no fridges in the room. Also it is a old hotel so there are a lot of creaky floorboards.

Service:
We found that this is what really let them down. It was very unreliable and was really dependent on who you dealt with. A classic example was one morning very early we rang up to get some more toilet paper, the concierge arrived at our door to tell us that the hotel was actually out of toilet paper and that all he could offer was a couple of boxes of tissues until later in the day. When we questioned this statement with the desk staff later that day it was obvious that he had lied. He could not be bothered to go and get the paper for us and his solution was the tissues. I mean really who ever heard of a hotel running out of toilet paper!!!
Also we found that daily housekeeping was not of a high standard and we were leaving a daily tip.
Another issue was that we had a broken towel rack in the bathroom which kept falling down and even though we informed the hotel it remained broken for the duration of our visit.

Location:
The hotel is in an excellent location close to pretty much everything especially BUckingham Palace

I should also mention that we had dinner one night at the 'BB Restaurant' which is associated with the hotel. It is one of the worst meals we have ever had. I ordered a ricotta ravoili in a tomato sauce and it was so bad that I could not eat more than a mouthful of the dish.

We would not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of the room you initially checked into. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation. Thank you also for your comment on the provision of fridges in the rooms. I am pleased to inform you that mini-bars are provided in all of our Suites and Royal Rooms.

I was most concerned to learn of the housekeeping and maintenance service inconsistencies you experienced during your time with us. We receive so many compliments on the calibre of our staff and quality of service they provide that it is all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. I have discussed your feedback with my management team and reiterated the importance of consistency of standards and service, and they in turn have taken each point back to their own teams for review. Additional training with the specific team member who handled your request has also been completed, and I am very sorry about how this was handled especially given the nature of your request.

It is also disappointing to know that you did not enjoy your meal at bbar. I have conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Restaurant Manager and the Executive Chef.

I am very sorry to know that you do not think it likely that you will return to The Rubens and would like to ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed 6 November 2011

I just returned from a 2-week stay at Rubens at the Palace, and I have been homesick ever since! My stay not only included a flawless room (even the bathroom floor was heated--such luxury on a chilly night) that received meticulous attention from the housekeeping staff each day, excellent food (the fish and chips are literally the best I've had), and lovely surroundings in the public rooms (I always tried to get the table by the fireplace at teatime in the lounge), but the staff of this boutique hotel made me feel special and cared about each day of my stay. Mr. Malcolm Hendry, General Manager, is the most gracious of hosts, concierge Tom Bergin secured tickets for me and my friends for one of the most hard to get into plays in London and greeted me like an old friend whenever I walked into the reception area. Adele and Andrea on the managerial staff were so kind to me, as was Andrew, who delivered room service to me. I also want to compliment Joao and all the other people who made my stay such a pleasure. I used to travel to London with my father years ago, and the only hotel he would stay in was the Connaught. It is a beautiful hotel with great service, but I always choose the Rubens at the Palace for my London trips.

Room Tip: Each room has its own charm. I think it's a matter of taste.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank xpatsLajolla
Reviewed 6 November 2011

This is an excellent hotel in a central location to access all tourist attractions and is a 5 minute walk to Apollo Victoria Theatre. We had a recenty renovated room and it was lovely. Bathroom was small but had bath, shower etc, complimentary toiletries and bathrobes. The bed was amazing. It was so comfortable. The room was quite at night. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of hot and cold dishes and eggs were made to order. Hotel staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. If travelling by car car parking is limited as hotel does not have a car park. There is parking at the rear of the hotel but this not soley for hotel patrons. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gelascotland
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I took a last minute trip to London and got a great deal through the Continental Presidential Plus credit card at Rubens at the Palace. The hotel is wonderful!

We waited about an hour to get our room because it was still being cleaned. They gave us free drink coupons during our wait so it wasn't a big deal to us! We were upgraded to one of their newly renovated rooms. It was absolutely beautiful.

The service was great. Everyone was very accomodating. We had breakfast included in our rate and it was great. Nice buffet breakfast with a lot of selections.

The location is phenomenal. Right down the street from Buckingham Palace, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's just a short 5-10 minute walk from Victoria Station. During the evenings, its a very quiet area which we didn't mind at all.

I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingChelsea
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Stayed here for my sister's 40th birthday celebrations. The staff were very attentive. We couldnt get in the room until 2pm but we could leave our bags in storage so we could go out and explore London. For the price the room wasn't that big, warm or comfortable or quiet.....i expected more for my money. I had a twin room and My sister had a suite for her, her partner and daughter. The suite wasn't very big either. We had an afternoon tea delivered to the suite which cost £23 and there wasn't alot on there either. We had breakfast included which was a buffet style and very nice. Basically your paying for the location because its right opposite the back of Buckingham Palace and a short walk from Victoria Station so very close to alot of sites.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

I was sorry to learn that you were dissatisfied with the room you were allocated. If you have any particular preferences, such as in size of quietness of rooms, please do discuss these with my reservations team at the time of booking, as this enables them to advise on which room type would be best suited.
I was also concerned to read that you felt the afternoon tea you were served in your sister’s suite was not as plentiful as you had expected it to be. We have been achieving incredible consistency in our afternoon tea offering lately and have received so much positive feedback that it is extremely disappointing to hear this. When afternoon tea is served in the Palace Lounge, my staff do offer re-fills of items should guests require these, which is not currently the case for teas being taken in the bedrooms. However, I do see the need for this and will make changes to the offering accordingly.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely,