“A Great Place to Stay”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 November 2011

The Rubens is a great place to stay. The staff are very friendly and helpful and made us feel at home even though we only stayed for 2 nights. The location is perfect being just a short walk from the tube, mainline trains and buses. It is also very close to some of the best and well known sites - Buckingham Palace is literally seconds away and an easy stroll takes you to the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Downing Street, St James's Park the Mall and Horse Guards Parade. The full English breakfast is relaxed and comprehensive with plenty of hot and cold options to choose from and again the staff are friendly and efficient. The bedroom wasn't the biggest we have stayed in but it was more than adequate and very clean. On arrival we spotted an offer in our room that we hadn't seen when we booked on-line. We approached the concierge and they sorted it out and retrospectively offered us a complimentary (less service charge) dinner for two in their restaurant; it was excellent. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on Buckingham Palace road are not noisy and give a great view of the Palace Mews
2  Thank terryams

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Rubens at the Palace had everything we wanted in a hotel. First and foremost, the staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful. This was our first trip to London, so we had lots of questions about transportation, events, etc. The concierge was extremely accommodating in giving us directions, advice or recommendations. Although the hotel itself is over 100 years old, it has kept up with the times complete with wireless internet and flat screen television. Be sure to include the continental breakfast as part of your package!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank WilliamBOjai_CA
Reviewed 17 November 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful experience at the Rubens. We arrived early morning and had asked in advance for our room to be available. I knew this was asking alot of the Rubens, but thought I'd ask. The room wasn't available right away, but we were treated to a free breakfast while we waited about 1 hour. The room was lovely. We had the Henry VII suite which is larger than most rooms, but not huge. I would recommend upgrading from a standard room, as they are fairly small. The fresh fruit gift was nice and the daily treats left in the room - a nice extra.

Membership in the LA Fitness health club around the corner was a helpful addition. My wife ran from the hotel through Green and Hyde parks. She also used the health club, which had all the equipment you'd need.

If you're looking for nightlife/restaurants nearby the hotel, its fairly limited. However, being close to the Victoria tube station you can access most of London quickly.

We decided to not include breakfast with our room and found a local eating spot about 25 yrds from hotel with a quick inexpensive breakfast as well as there is a Costa (similar to Starbucks) within a 5 min walk from the hotel.

The hotel staff was wonderful. The front desk staff were friendly and efficent. The doorman always asking to help with directions and providing a friendly greeting upon return. The bar staff befriended us and provided help in planning great things to see in London.

We left London and the Rubens and traveled to Paris. We found out very quickly how lucky we'd been with our hotel experience as the hotel in Paris was anything but friendly.

I would recommend the Rubens to my friends. The location is good, rooms are nice and staff is wonderful. It is expensive to stay in London the combination of room rate, exchange rate and taxes add up.

4  Thank Doug L
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The city of London is exciting in and of itself, but a large part of my enjoyable London stay was The Rubens: it's excellent location, the room accommodations, the on site restaurant/lounge, and most importantly, the exceptional staff.

The staff in particular made my stay at the Rubens more than I could have hoped for, and I would not hesitate to stay at the Rubens again, and would recommend it to others, especially to someone who is making their first trip to London as was my case. Their attentiveness to my needs was exemplary. I made contact with the concierge long before my arrival, and that saved so much time, in that time was not wasted trying to decide what to do, how to get around the city or to make tour reservations. My stay was only 3 days so efficient use of my time was paramount to an enjoyable trip.

Never ever did I dream I would be able to walk down the street from my hotel to the front of Buckingham Palace and walk around the entire perimeter of the Palace. Thanks to the Rubens, I was able to do that and so much more.

Room Tip: When making the room reservation, there was no need for a special request other than 2 single beds...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Christine S
Reviewed 14 November 2011

This hotel was pricy for our American wallet, but with a very short stay we wanted to be in the center of things and so splurged. The location of this hotel is superb, being directly across the street from Buckingham Palace and hence a short walk from many key sightseeing locations. Dave, the concierge, was a delightful and truly helpful guide who helped us figure out where to go and how to get there; he was especially kind and friendly to our young daughter. Our room was exquisite in its decor, though a bit odd in its location: Because we needed a room for three, we found ourselves in a room tucked in the back of the hotel, with no view out our single window, and a bathroom up a *very* steep step. I should have asked for a view, but I perhaps incorrectly assumed that none of the street-facing rooms could accommodate three people. Nonetheless, the room was sufficient in size and very comfortable; the towels plush and the bedding royal. The breakfast prices were too high for us, but we easily found a good, affordable breakfast just down the street. After our stay, I received a personal email asking for feedback, which I gave, and then I received a long email from the manager in response, telling me that my praise of Dave was passed along, and that he had noted our preference for a view in the future. The manager's attention to my feedback was classy, no doubt time-consuming, extremely customer-centered, and much appreciated.

Room Tip: Perhaps the obvious, in retrospect: ask for a view!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank DbTX
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Nice hotel great location. 5 min walk your at buckingham palace,10-15 min walk big Ben,Westminster abbey.

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Vinny102
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The hotel is in a perfect location. Despite being so central, we found it very quiet and enjoyed an excellent night's sleep in a very comfortable and tastefully decorated room. Breakfast was very good, and we especially enjoyed the surroundings and the excellent dinner in The Library restaurant. All staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, as well as very efficient. We do hope to be able to stay on a future occasion and will certainly recommend this hotel without hestitation.

4  Thank Helen E