“Good but not great”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My wife and I stayed 3 nights. We had a superior king room on the 4th floor. The bathroom was of a good size, in keeping with a room of this standard. Room was a bit small however. This might have been down to the super size king bed, which was very comfortable. We did feel at times that we had to coordinate movement to get around the room. The bedroom door only just opened without hitting the bed. The tv could only be viewed from the bed, not the small sitting area. The location is great for the Palace and conveniently located for Victoria underground and overground. The west end can be reached on foot and very quickly by public transport. The staff are very friendly.

Breakfast is buffet style and of a very good standard. It was included in our room rate. I felt I was ripped off in the lounge where 2 coffees cost £11.20. It would have been cheaper to have a beer !

I phoned reception before arrival to check directions from Victoria tube. I was told there is only 1 exit at present, due to construction work. Not true !. Take the district and circle line exit, it is then a 2 mins walk up Buckingham Palace Road.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jimmy_James_Sale
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor.

It is wonderful to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay at The Rubens so much and that you were impressed with friendliness of my staff. I have shared these kind comments with the team, who were equally delighted to hear them.

However, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of the room you were allocated. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation, but please feel free to mention your preference for a more spacious room when making your next reservation.

I was also concerned to learn that you were given incorrect information with regards directions from Victoria tube station. I have conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Head Concierge and my Front Office Manager and have reiterated to them and their teams the need for attention to detail and clear and precise communication. They have since conducted the necessary re-training with the member of staff concerned. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It is wonderful to know how much you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Thank you also for your comment on our beverage prices. We regularly conduct surveys with regards to our pricing structure and we are very competitive in comparison to our competitors and the London marketplace. However, I am sorry that you did find this to be expensive.

Thank you once again for this feedback and for pointing out areas where improvement can be found. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rubens in person in the not too distant future.

Malcolm Hendry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Only a one night stay - some quality time with my partner prior to business meetings the following day.

The hotel was very comfortable. The staff were very friendly and unfailingly helpful.

The restaurant and bar were very pleasant and the food at breakfast was fresh and tasty.

I hope to return there.

2 Thank Alan T
Muskoka, Ontario
Reviewed 12 November 2012

In fairness to this property and most of the staff, our three night stay was largely as one should expect for the price - excellent.
Upon checkout, an agreed upon arrangement amounting to a mere £14 to be credited against a £1000 bill was "forgotten." The front desk clerk made our experience so uncomfortable with stone silence and eye-rolling that other guests remarked, and another front desk employee called out "it's OUR mistake."
It's unfortunate that positive impressions are such a fragile thing - but that's human nature - won't be going here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sinniss
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor.

I was most concerned to read that you were so dissatisfied with your experience at check-out and hope that you have by now received my response to the e-mail you sent, giving me the opportunity to address the issues of your stay with you personally.

It is disappointing for any stay to end on a low note, especially such a positive one being turned by just one individual, but I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This was my second time staying at the Rubens. We had two junior suites for a three night stay. It was nice to see old friends Dave (concierge) and Nathan (doorman) again, as well to make the acquaintance of Adele. Our stay was perfect. The staff is ever attentive and a joy to get to know. Our rooms were beautiful and overlooked the Royal Mews. If ever we are back in London - the only hotel we would consider would be The Rubens!

1 Thank Thenursse28
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Having passed the Rubens hundreds of times en route to Victoria we decided to try it out during a brief stopover in London. It was a very enjoyable experience. The rooms are not over large but very well appointed and the bed very comfy. We were made to feel very welcome and the service was excellent. Spent a very enjoyable evening in the bar with friends and although we had planned to go out we ended up staying put.
We will return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graham H
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night whilst over in London for a concert and to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The reception staff were so friendly and helpful and although we arrived before check-in time nothing was too much trouble. The room was lovely overlooking the Royal Mews and well appointed. On our return to our room after the concert we had been left a lovely chocolate mousse cake piped "Happy Anniversary" and a card - which was such a nice touch. Breakfast was excellent and a very varied choice. We will definitely be returning and hope that it will be for a longer stay next time.

Room Tip: A view of The Royal Mews is nice.
1 Thank JulieC4211
Denmark
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is an "old school London hotel". Narrow corridors, small elevators, creaky floors so uneven you may think they shoveled coal underneath the carpets before laying them. The room was small too, but OK nice and clean. Recently renovated bathroom. The breakfast restaurant is fine with a choice of fried and poached eggs, bacon etc. Friendly and polite staff

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MortenA
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor. I appreciate feedback in any form it may come in.

I was sorry to read that you found our hotel not to be to your own personal taste. As a slightly more traditional building, we do experience some noise from floorboards and these are taken up and re-secured as discovered. With regards the size of our rooms, corridors and elevators, we are restricted by the older nature of the building, however, I was delighted to read that you liked the newly refurbished bathroom.

It is fabulous to know that you enjoyed the wide variety of our breakfast offering. I certainly believe that every day should start with a magnificent breakfast, and we do receive many positive comments from our guests regarding the variety of choice offered on our buffet. From Continental breakfast options, such as cheeses, yoghurts, fruit, cereals and pastries, to a full cooked breakfast, everything is freshly prepared and of the highest quality. I was also thrilled to know that you found my team to be polite and friendly.

I am very sorry that your stay was not as positive as that of others on this site but would like to thank you for sharing this with us.