“First visit...first class.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ohio
“First visit...first class.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

My family stayed here over the Christmas holiday 2012 and we could not have asked for better service. Everyone was very accommodating. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. Lots of extra touches!! The staff arranged outings and transportation. The restaurants and lounges were quite and peaceful, except for the fabulous party on Christmas Day! We would not hesitate to come back! Fabulous!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathlene H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had often driven past and admired the exterior and of course a great location near Buckingham Palace and Victoria station. Although the lobby and dining areas have a gracious charm about them, the tiny lifts are a joke, can barely take 3 people, and the rooms are simply awful. We ordered a roll-away bed for our 9 year old daughter and what we got was a pull-out couch in a tiny musty old room, with barely a foot between the couch and the bed, very dated and unattractive decor, an LCD TV that was mounted on the wall crooked by at least 10 degrees. We were so shell-shocked that when reception phoned us to ask us how we were settling in we just mumbled OK and couldn't wait to get out the next day, but with hindsight we should have complained. The toweling bathrobes provided were so old and worn that the embroidered logo's had almost faded away and they felt like rough sandpaper. The bathroom was the size of a closet, you could only get one person in there at a time, single basin, smaller than normal bath with a shower over it. We paid 295 pounds to stay there, I don't think it's worth 50 pounds and I wouldn't stay there again for free. Yes, London hotels are usually very overpriced compared to other major cities- we paid the same sum here as we did for the top-flight Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, and much more than the extremely luxurious Grand Del Mar in San Diego. I must admit to being extremely surprised by the other positive reviews here, maybe we were given the worst room in the hotel. The only plus apart from the location was the included breakfast which was pretty good. Look elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank richard_s_NZ
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 22 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was concerned to read of how disappointed you were with your stay and have addressed the points you raised with my team since receiving your feedback. It is disappointing to read that you were dissatisfied with the size and decor of your room. I am also sorry that by not knowing about these issues during your time at the hotel we did not have the opportunity to address them whilst you were still in-house, as, although this in no way makes up for the service you experienced, I am confident that my team could have resolved this situation for you and that you would have left not feeling so disappointed.

Please accept my apologies for an experience that was not as positive as that of others on this site and hope that this did not detract too much from the overall enjoyment of your travels.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Christchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Over the past ten years we have stayed at the Rubens 3 times and the standard of service and atmosphere has not changed. Wonderful describes the whole stay. We were not satisfied with the location of the first room offered and with no hassel we were shown three rooms to choose an alternative. Thank you, all the staff of the Rubens for making our one night stay. We have used other hotels in London but have found the charm and welcome at this hotel to be far superior to the others in this grade of hotels. One can only imagine that the management believe in customer service and keeping their staff happy.

Room Tip: Room 115 Nice view and layout
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank garibaldi2007
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

My family stayed here for a week over Christmas 2012..... just wanted to thank the whole staff at the hotel for yet another exceptional stay... Great service. Great hotel. Great location.

Was treated like an old friend through the booking process to the arrival at reception and concierge and during the stay.

I don't need to hunt around for a hotel when I am staying in London ... I just have to call up the Rubens

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DuncanF81
Obernzell, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed here at this hotel with my in-laws from South Africa. They arrived early morning and were given a room to freshen up.
The hotel is beautifully decorated and staff were friendly and efficient.
We really enjoyed the close walk to Victoria station.

For us it was the perfect hotel to explore London, and a nice home away from home

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 4stripes
Palmerston North, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

I booked to stay for 6 nights at the Rubens. It was a great location, right across Buckingham Palace and very near the Underground at Victoria Station. However, the service was as poor as being in the outhouse or in a motel. They did not replace the toiletries in the bathroom. Even when reminded about that, the toiletries were replaced ONCE. I felt that they forgot that I used the bathroom! The front desk service was spotty- there were helpful ones and there were ones that just ignored you. Perhaps because there was a big group that they were attending to, but that should not be an excuse.

Room Tip: Don't book any of the "royal" rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank nzphotog
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 25 January 2013

It is disappointing to read how dissatisfied you were with your stay. I would certainly have valued the opportunity to discuss the details of your stay during your time with us or at some point over the months that have since passed, but as this has not been possible, please rest assured that I will share your comments with my team and reinforce to them our goal to provide an exceptional service experience to all of our guests.

Here at The Rubens, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. We receive so many positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff that I am disappointed to read of your encounters. I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site, and the errors in the service you received were indeed unacceptable.

Once again, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and my assurance that I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction to my team.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

This is my fifth stay at the Rubens on business and I am never disappointed. It's in a great location opposite Buckingham palace and round the corner from Victoria station (from which you can get anywhere on the tube or bus). The service at the front desk is always excellent and I am always impressed how well they treat their guests, new and old. It has a lovely bar area and the food is good. The rooms are decorated a mixture of traditional and modern and are a good size with everything you would expect. I'll definitely be staying here on my next visit!

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business