“The Rubens Hotel what a hotel”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #74 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic two day stay, first impressions excellent, staff very helpful and friendly. The bedroom very clean and what a bathroom. We had a lovely meal although very expensive for what was on the menu, and a bit slow service, the food did taste nice, but could have had a bit more for the price. We will return but don't think we will eat in the restaurant, but well done to the front of house.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank KayTaffy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,340)

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This wonderful, friendly hotel is full of character and the staff are attentive and friendly. I stayed here for a weekend for my wife's birthday. It was meant to be a special time, at it was made so special from the moment we walked in. Reception staff are efficient, and I actually felt they were really pleased to help ( instead of the often encountered efficient but aloof attitude).

The room was not huge, but just felt right. Comfortable with a feeling of homliness.

We ate out on the first night and on the second we ate in the hotel. The food was excellent and again the staff were superb.

Breakfast was a treat. Buffet style breakfasts are often below par because food is left out too long and gets 'stodgy'. All the items were hot, and well presented. I watched to young man who was cooking eggs and when there were no customers he constantly checked the food pans. I saw him throw one out -presumably because it had been lying too long. But the attention to detail here, and throughout the hotel was faultless.

As you will guess, I loved this hotel. When I stay in London this will be my first choice.

Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Dusty428
Reviewed 22 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for nine nights at this hotel over New Year's. First of all, it's in a great location for many things in London. It's close to Victoria Station for all the buses and tube lines.
Something happened here that has never before happened to us. When we arrived, early in the morning, we were given a room to use for the several hours until our room was ready. We didn't ask for it, they just let us use it! This was especially helpful since my husband had gotten sick on the plane and really needed to sleep. So it was a real plus that we were given this.
The lobby and bar areas were great. We ate at the restaurant, The Library, not expecting too much, but it was really wonderful with great service. What a surprise!
The full English breakfast buffet was great. I ordered kippers, too, a couple of times, and they were the best I've ever eaten.
We stayed in an Executive King room because I had read the TripAdvisor reviews about the size of the rooms. It wasn't cheap (about $500/night including breakfast and tax), but it was fine. The bathroom was small, yes, and the tv was a bit crooked as someone else said, but overall I can't take off any stars for anything. Housekeeping was inconsistent. Sometimes the shampoos weren't replenished, but sometimes things were done really well. Generally very clean.
Only complaint...the concierge tried to talk us into taking a private car to the airport that he would arrange. I know he'd get a commission from it, but he was very insistent. This was kind of jarring after such a nice trip. He had seemed really sincere until then. I think if it had happened at the beginning of the trip it would have clouded it, but at the end, it didn't really hurt anything. I just felt a bit annoyed about it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank helene123Chicago
Reviewed 22 January 2013

My family stayed here over the Christmas holiday 2012 and we could not have asked for better service. Everyone was very accommodating. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. Lots of extra touches!! The staff arranged outings and transportation. The restaurants and lounges were quite and peaceful, except for the fabulous party on Christmas Day! We would not hesitate to come back! Fabulous!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathlene H
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had often driven past and admired the exterior and of course a great location near Buckingham Palace and Victoria station. Although the lobby and dining areas have a gracious charm about them, the tiny lifts are a joke, can barely take 3 people, and the rooms are simply awful. We ordered a roll-away bed for our 9 year old daughter and what we got was a pull-out couch in a tiny musty old room, with barely a foot between the couch and the bed, very dated and unattractive decor, an LCD TV that was mounted on the wall crooked by at least 10 degrees. We were so shell-shocked that when reception phoned us to ask us how we were settling in we just mumbled OK and couldn't wait to get out the next day, but with hindsight we should have complained. The toweling bathrobes provided were so old and worn that the embroidered logo's had almost faded away and they felt like rough sandpaper. The bathroom was the size of a closet, you could only get one person in there at a time, single basin, smaller than normal bath with a shower over it. We paid 295 pounds to stay there, I don't think it's worth 50 pounds and I wouldn't stay there again for free. Yes, London hotels are usually very overpriced compared to other major cities- we paid the same sum here as we did for the top-flight Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, and much more than the extremely luxurious Grand Del Mar in San Diego. I must admit to being extremely surprised by the other positive reviews here, maybe we were given the worst room in the hotel. The only plus apart from the location was the included breakfast which was pretty good. Look elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank richard_s_NZ
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was concerned to read of how disappointed you were with your stay and have addressed the points you raised with my team since receiving your feedback. It is disappointing to read that you were dissatisfied with the size and decor of your room. I am also sorry that by not knowing about these issues during your time at the hotel we did not have the opportunity to address them whilst you were still in-house, as, although this in no way makes up for the service you experienced, I am confident that my team could have resolved this situation for you and that you would have left not feeling so disappointed.

Please accept my apologies for an experience that was not as positive as that of others on this site and hope that this did not detract too much from the overall enjoyment of your travels.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Over the past ten years we have stayed at the Rubens 3 times and the standard of service and atmosphere has not changed. Wonderful describes the whole stay. We were not satisfied with the location of the first room offered and with no hassel we were shown three rooms to choose an alternative. Thank you, all the staff of the Rubens for making our one night stay. We have used other hotels in London but have found the charm and welcome at this hotel to be far superior to the others in this grade of hotels. One can only imagine that the management believe in customer service and keeping their staff happy.

Room Tip: Room 115 Nice view and layout
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank garibaldi2007
Reviewed 18 January 2013

My family stayed here for a week over Christmas 2012..... just wanted to thank the whole staff at the hotel for yet another exceptional stay... Great service. Great hotel. Great location.

Was treated like an old friend through the booking process to the arrival at reception and concierge and during the stay.

I don't need to hunt around for a hotel when I am staying in London ... I just have to call up the Rubens

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family