“Our dog's first trip to London.” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #89 of 1,087 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Our dog's first trip to London.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We needed a luxury hotel to take our daughter's for her 16th birthday with our pet dog Tilly. From the first step into The Rubens reception we knew we were going to have a great stay.
We were greeted by all of the front desk staff & a big fuss was made of Tilly. What a lovely surprise we had on entering our room, a birthday cake for our daughter, a bed made for Tilly with her own dog room service menu. They have a great team of staff working at The Rubens, it made our stay most enjoyable & we will certainly stay again. Thankyou from the Taylor family of Nottingham.

Room Tip: We booked a suite because we though we might need extra room for our dog, it was very quite with lot...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Paul T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

We went here for my boyfriends 21st staff were nice/ average nothing special we paid extra for 2 rooms an we had to ask what rooms we had paid extra for as they all were small an dated. Headboard was very very worn, view was of a dustbin but paying 200+ for a room you expect extra. Breakfast was lovely lots of choice an good service. Easy to find location is good. Best thing about the experience was Billy Elliot the musical MAGICAL!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Emma R
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

The English know about service and the Rubens is a superstar! From the minute you hit the front door to the time you sadly must say goodbye, the service by each and every person at this lovely hotel is 5+ stars. Outstanding.
The rooms, especially on the 4th floor, are beautiful. Crisp smooth white sheets and duvet, flat screen TV, top notch bathrooms and double paned windows that create a quiet quiet room.
Location is perfect. Walk to Victoria Station, Buckingham Palace, the West End and in good weather, everywhere beyond.
Breakfast is eye popping with perfect and friendly service. Afternoon tea is a must.
Great job Rubens. I highly recommend your lovely hotel with the best staff ever. I miss you all!
Thank you.

Room Tip: 4th floor!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank hlsgolf
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

The Reubens is the sort of London hotel that you really hope to find!. It has history and character, a wonderful situation adjacent to Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station,and staff that really understand the importance of good service. And people do make such a difference...from the pleasant but meaningful greetings, to assistance with logistical and theatre queries.The Library Restaurant is a great place for dinner - discreet and intimate, the same delightful staff and I would love to give it top marks...but the food just needs to be better. From Goats Cheese served at teeth chilling temperature, to a "Green Godess" salad that was just tired!!. Paradoxically, my rib eye steak was superb, but the wine list is curious with a huge penchant for south african whites and not a single NZ sauvingnon on the list. There is so much that is right about this hotel that I want it to be perfect.With just a few twaks it could be...but I like its attitude and attention to detail, and I certainly will return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Fionnuala22
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I travel for business... a lot. And I tired long ago of those cookie-cutter business hotels that we all know. What they gain in terms of predictibility, they lose in terms of, well, predictability. As such, I find myself looking more and more for unexpected gems. Hotels that sing "service" and "local" without feeling pretentious or forced. Some of my favorite hotels in the world - from Vancouver to Milan, from Reykjavik to Buenos Aires - I stumbled upon in this way. Of course, I've had some major turkeys as well, so caveat emptor is my mantra.

The Rubens was, all in all, a most pleasant surprise. Although the room was, shall we say, "funky" ( red padded walls with large mirrors made me wonder what sort of client might request such a decor!), the service was absolutely outstanding. I genuinely don't remember when a group of hotel staff so genuinely and sincerely dedicated themselves to my experience. This alone would get me to return, but the location was yet another great surprise. Close enough to everything (I walked to every meeting I had over three days, and enjoyed the mid-winter strolls), yet just far enough off the tourist grid - by a few blocks - that I enjoyed walking "through" rather than "with" the tourists. Made me feel like a wee bit of a local, if you know what I mean?

Breakfast was copious and perfectly acceptable. Room service dinner was, again, acceptable (I don't think I'd travel to the hotel to eat, as London has so many astonishingly good restaurants). The linens were absolutely FANTASTIC, as were the pillows and bed comfort. YAY! Fast WiFi made my late-night working sessions a breeze. They even pulled together a very early to-go breakfast for me, as I had a 7:00 flight from Heathrow.

But the biggest factor for my "excellent" rating was the cost. Granted, I was not there during peak season, and I would expect my experience would have been dramatically different in July, but for the money it was a huge win.

An important note for anyone considering this hotel, particularly during high season, this is not a top-end hotel. Rather, it is the best second-tier experience I've ever had. Go in with realistic expectations and prepare to be blown away. Go in thinking you're staying at the Ritz and, well, you'll likely be disappointed.

I'm putting The Rubens on my extremely short list of "must return" hotels.

Room Tip: Interior-facing rooms are extremely quiet. Fourth floor was recently remodeled. Lower floors appear...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank OneTrueMan
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Had an amazing weekend stay at the Rubens. The staff are amazingly helpful and could not do enough for us. My special thanks to the Manager for my mouth watering Breakfast of Waffles!!

The rooms are tastefully decorated and the bathrooms are exceptionally clean. It's a great location near Buckingham palace and is only a short ride away from the West End. I will no doubt be staying again in the near future.

Room Tip: 4th floor is perfectly quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jubba33
Bath UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Nice enough hotel and the staff were pleasant but perhaps we were expecting more of the rooms, eating areas and food but it wasn't the top end establishment we were hoping for. I guess it just goes to show you can't always believe what you read. If our expectations weren't so high this hotel would probably be a three star rating as opposed to the four given here. So don't let this review put you off if you want a decent hotel then go for it because nothing was seriously wrong here, as I said I guess we are used to that little extra. PS: because it was Xmas the food was generally for the masses, not the best.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family