“Rubens hotel”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #76 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I arrived as a 40th birthday surprise, right across from the palace! Was greeted by a fine gentleman in his hat and tails, a quaint hotel full of period character , attentive and friendly staff greeted us! Our room was newly refurbished and was a superior king( smallish , you have to work around each other to cross to the bathroom) But this is an old hotel and what it lacked in size it made up for in charm and luxury ! The bed was massive and so clean and soft! The location is perfect ! The dining room is grand and you feel like a princess or prince lol ! Service is prompt and efficient, all the food I had was amazing , drinks at the bar are pricey , so wouldn't be getting drunk at the hotel. They delivered a beautiful desert as a surprise birthday treat" I couldn't have asked for more! Didn't want to leave . Superb all round

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I was on a business trip but what a delight to find the hotel right next to Buckingham Palace - took the opportunity to see the Queens Coronation Exhibition at the end of my working day - well worth seeing. My room was a very small single but had almost everything i needed. A small fridge for cold drinks would have been nice. The switch is on the wall for the electric blinds!
Stafff excellent and very helpful - particularly reception, porter and doorman. Reasonable priced food in the bar though drinks were expensive. I would usecthis hotel again

Room Tip: Ask if any rooms have a fridge! Have a manual that tells you where it tells you to locate the switc...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Holidayblueeyes
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the location of the hotel next to Buckingham Palace. However, I was sorry to learn that you found your room to be rather on the small side. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation with varying decor schemes. Should the room you are allocated not be to your liking, my team are always happy to show you other available room options.

I was also sorry to read that the location of the switch for our electric blinds was somewhat confusing, and that we found out about your preference for a small fridge too late, as we have these available on request.

I was delighted to learn that you found my Front of House team to be so friendly and welcoming and that you felt the service they provided was excellent. They do genuinely care about all our guests and go above and beyond to ensure that every guest stay is a memorable one. This kind of feedback goes a long way in keeping them motivated to look after our guests, and they were ever so pleased to hear your praise when I shared this with them.

My team and I hope that you will consider returning to The Rubens in future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed 15 August 2013

the location is great, walking distance to Buckingham Palace,Victoria Station and eating places. Close enough to go for nice evening walk to Big Ben. Excellent breakfast offered in morning, staff very helpful and courteous in breakfast area, fresh fruits and lots of options.
Our room had a safe and other amenities.

I stayed with my 9 yr old son for 3 days, our room was very small in size, facing back alley. One thing that was even notcied by my son - the room smelled really bad as soon as we would enter inside. It could be the carpet or the bed, all had a wierd smell.
Another thing to note was poor wifi connection. I was struggling to connect to wifi all the time. When I complained at concierge I was told they had some problem with wifi one night. but i experienced problems with poor wifi signal throughout my stay.
Except for these two negatives, I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank S V

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. However, I was concerned to learn that you found your room to have a strange odour. All rooms are fully refreshed when being prepared for newly arriving guests, and I have made my Executive Housekeeper aware of your feedback in order for her to keep a close check on standards being returned. It is also disappointing to read that you found the wifi connection to be poor. We have recently upgraded our wireless network, which has much improved the consistency of service, but I am sorry that this was not the case for you. My Front of House team are well versed in solving internet connection issues, and are on hand should this be needed. This being said, there should have been none, and I have actioned a full building wifi survey as a result of your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

It is fantastic to read that you liked the location of the hotel and that you were so impressed with our breakfast offering. My Restaurant Team were delighted to hear that you found them to be very helpful and courteous when I passed your comments on to them.

Thank you once again for your feedback and for pointing out areas where improvement can be found. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family of 4 spent 3 night at the Rubens hotel the first week of August. The weather was perfect, 80 degrees and mostly sunny. The location of the hotel is fabulous, right across the street from Buckingham Palace and within easy walking distance of the Thames River, which is where you'll find the Eye, Tower of London, Big Ben, etc. The staff was VERY friendly, Alison greeted us at the front desk and was fabulous. Whenever we had a question it was quickly answered and because there was a huge bike race in town that weekend, they were very helpful in telling us how to avoid as much traffic as possible. The rooms were small, but that's pretty typical of Europe and the UK, so not a big surprise.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank landofrain
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just returned home having spent 3 amazing days at the "Rubens" I would like to say that ALL the staff are of exceptional quality nothing is too much trouble for them to make sure your stay is memorable. Our first greeting was by the duty manager Adele who made us feel so welcome Alison and all the girls on the reception were extremely helpful and courteous the Concierge and his staff are so helpful and have an amazing knowledge of the sites and shows in London, the bar and restaurants again proved to be an exact copy of the reception, rooms excellent, what a good stay thank you "Rubens".............John and Andrea Sheffield

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnB25_12
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Having a disability, your accommodation needs are even more important. However, at The Rubens I was made to feel comfortable right from the moment I checked in after a long flight from Australia. The entrance for people with a disability is conveniently located beside the main entrance and was serviced at all times by friendly and helpful staff. The room that I stayed in was room 103 and I recommend this room to anyone with a disability. It is positioned right beside the lift which importantly you do not hear when you are in the room. The bathroom is fully accessible and it is easy to get out the door as it does not automatically close. The only slight downside is that the large accessible bathroom makes the room a little smaller. The staff at the front desk, the concierge, the customer service manager, the breakfast staff, the staff in the Calvary bar and the library and all the other staff were all friendly, courteous and could not do enough for me. So well done. The hotel is conveniently located and has a number of different dining options if you wish to dine in. I had a wonderful Rubens experience and it made the pain of losîng the Lords test a lot easier.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michaelyym
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We just returned home from a summer trip to Europe, and we spent 6 wonderful days in London at the Rubens at the Palace Hotel. First of all, the location is terrific, just a short walk to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, and Victoria Station. The Rubens has a beautiful restaurant and bar, a fabulous breakfast buffet that is offered at a reduced rate to the hotel guests, and even an afternoon High Tea. Impeccable service everyday. We were lucky enough to be in London the day the new Prince was born, and when we returned to the hotel after dinner, we were greeted with a celebratory glass of champagne! As delightful as all of these amenities were, the very BEST thing about the Rubens is its staff. From the Manager, to the young ladies at the Front Desk, to the Concierge staff, to the Doormen, everyone did their utmost to make sure that our every need was met. Upon arrival, we asked if a larger room might be available as we were traveling with a number and a variety of suitcase sizes. They were very kind and accommodating in finding a room that would give us a bit more of much-needed space. When one member of the front desk staff heard that we were celebrating our anniversary, she sent up a lovely hand-written note with a dish of chocolate strawberries! That's the kind of place this is. I found this hotel through the reviews on TripAdvisor, and the hotel clearly lived up to its fine reputation and more. If you are coming to London and are looking for a wonderful experience, this is the place to stay. We loved every minute of our time there. Special thanks to everyone at the Rubens for being a part of wonderful memories we will never forget.

Room Tip: Room 105 is a great room if it is available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple