“a top notch hotel”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I booked this hotel for my wife and I because they were offering one night free if you booked three nights in a suite. Since we were staying in London for 6 days the two free days made a big difference on our bill. Our room was the African Queen suite on the first floor. The decor was a little dated but the room itself was large, especially for London so we had plenty of room to unpack our clothes and store our luggage. The bathroom was also very large and the bath was very nice.

The hotel staff were all very friendly and proactive in making sure that we enjoyed our stay. As a lot of other reviewers have written, we received a call shortly after checking in to make sure that we were satisfied with our accommodations. Every night there were chocolates left with our turn down service and there was complimentary water provided.

The hotel bar had someone singing and playing piano most nights which was a very nice touch. The hotel is located next to Buckingham palace and the Victoria tube and bus station so public transport is very close. One night I left my coat in the bar but one call to the concierge and it was waiting for me in the lobby on my way out the door the next morning.

Overall my wife and I had a wonderful time at this hotel and would highly recommend it to my fellow travellers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magnum55
Write a ReviewReviews (4,413)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Rubens at the Palace for six nights. Our room type was a lovely Executive King. Since this is our third stay in just a little over a year it almost seems as if the Rubens is becoming our home away from home. And of course the hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of Westminster and right across the street from Buckingham Palace. But what really sets the hotel apart from all the rest is the staff. Everyone is trying very hard to provide sterling customer service. We especially would like to thank Jo Lovegrove, Front Office Manager for her courtesy and professionalism.

Room Tip: Highly recommend an Executive King
Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David D
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The person who wrote about the rude doorman wasn't even paying to stay in the hotel. As a paying guest I'm pleased the riff raff are kept out, who knows in this day and age who is trying to get into a hotel and for what reason ?

I shall stay again as I'm delighted to see this hotel has a strong security policy.

Everyone treated me with upmost respect, politeness and kindness

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank faerie
Reviewed 19 October 2013

my first 5star rating on trip advisor. this hotel oozes class. great staff, excellent restaurant,
quiet and comfortable room.(would you believe turndown service avail at request?) 10 min
after check-in, a call from the front desk regarding room quality. 15 min later, a knock on the
door from housekeeping to check our room amenities. spent 7 wonderful nights, and will
return again.
a bit pricey(it ain't the ritz folks), but victoria station one block away. and buckhouse 2 blocks
down the street, it's a great location.

3  Thank raceaveal
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Been to London many times and stayed at several hotels. A friend told us about the Rubens at the Palace and have gone back every trip since. The location is terrific. Buckingham Palace across the street, Victoria Station just a couple blocks away, many good restaurants nearby and central to get most anywhere. The staff is professional, attentive, poised and knowledgeable. The hotel itself is older, but well maintained, and rooms have nicely updated decor along with free WiFi. Rooms are comfortable (some a bit small), are nicely appointed with great towels and down pillows. Food in the restaurants is excellent and if a big breakfast buffet is not your style, local breakfasts can be had just few minutes walk away. Reasonably priced with all the pluses. Will be back again...

2  Thank cpetemn
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed at the Rubens with my Springador dog for a couple of nights. The hotel could not have been more welcoming - they are genuine dog lovers, combined with having a superb quality hotel. They gave Tyler a choice of beds, her own bowls, biscuits and a toy, plus a lot of fuss, all of which she loved. The room was immaculate, and the food outstanding. I couldn't recommend Rubens more highly. The location is also excellent for dog owners, being so close to Green Park and St James's.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MargaretSurrey_UK
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife and I booked this Hotel for our London trip because of my mothers recommendation ( she and her husband stayed there in 2012 ). The atmosphere is very elegant and warm. My wife loved the rooms with the "royal" decor. The staff was very polite and helpful and willing to assist with directions or attraction recommendations. We did not eat evening meals at the hotel, but did have breakfast several mornings and were very satisfied with the selection and quality. It is not a cheap hotel ( our price per night 187 pounds ) but for the quality the Rubens offers, it's right on par with the cost.

Room Tip: Our standard King room was average size and you can upgrade to a suite ( 100 pounds ), but if your s...
1  Thank Mike1368