“Good location less than average room ”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #74 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Good location less than average room ”
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here previously, wanted to come back as it was such a great place last time. We have arrived and the room is very over priced facilities are less than average. Only good point is location. Front staff pleasant enough. We stay in London very regularly and am sad to say certainly will not be returning :-(

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Travelchick6383
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

It is fantastic to read that you liked the location of the hotel and that you enjoyed being looked after by our staff and team here. I am sorry that you were a little disappointed with the size of your room. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for this.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I arranged for my parents to stay at The Rubens as a treat for their 65th birthdays (very close together). They were taking in Billy Elliot just around the corner so location was perfect.

I added some comments when booking, asking that my parents get first rate treatment for their rare trip to London and mentioned it was their birthdays. I couldn't believe it when my mum called me to say how wonderful she found everything; the staff were extremely helpful and attentive, the bed was 'the comfiest ever' (my mum didn't want to get out of it), but the most thoughtful and kindest gesture, yet one of the simplest, they had put birthday cakes in the room when they arrived.

I can't praise the staff at The Rubens enough.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I made the reservation couple of weeks ago and nothing was too much for the team.
Booked the superior king room and was very specific on the colour theme. I was very pleased with the room. It was very clean which we both appreciated. The building wasn't as big as expected but definitely lots of beautiful original features.
The customer services manager Marta was super friendly.
We received a courtesy call halfan hour after checking in to see if everything was okay. She even came up the next morning at breakfast to see if I enjoyed my stay.
The restaurant was fully booked on Saturday night so best ask reception to book you a table in advance.
Great weekend. Thank you to the team for making it a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank BiancaJDaniel
Llanelli
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here last Easter and while in London, we decided to pop in for an evening drink. We treated ourselves to a champagne cocktail, they were divine!!! The whole ambience was wonderful, with a real fire lit and comfy chairs. We could quite easily have stayed in that spot all night! An added bonus was meeting up with the wonderful Martha again, who made our visit so special last time. I was very impressed that she actually remembered my daughter's name and the welcome we had was lovely.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, and if you are lucky enough to have Martha look after you, it will be the best stay ever!! Can't wait to go back to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank roe184
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Rubens and it was the perfect hotel for what I was looking for. I was traveling alone for a few days in London and this hotel came highly recommended (and didn't disappoint). The rooms are small but very clean and have great character. I ate at the restaurant and bar on-site and found the food to be excellent. What really makes this hotel ideal is the staff and the location. I definitely would stay here again while traveling.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lvm037
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Lovely location you are literally around the corner from Buckingham palace and surrounding tourist attraction.

We upgraded to a royal room however be careful as some of the rooms do not have a lot of space and to beds are small. We stayed in the mary queen of scotts room and it was lovely. The television coming out of the bed was a lovely touch and so were the two showers.

Front of house staff were very friendly and took time to remember our name which was nice

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsBJohal
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed both in the hotel and the apartments on Catherine Place. I found the hotel room to be a bit on the small size, I stayed in the Superior King room. The service at the hotel was great and the staff were attentive to my every need. I also stayed at the apartments on Catherine Place and I was truly amazed, I would definitely stay at the apartments again. This has to be one of the bigger self service apartments I have stayed in (over 2 floors), the bathroom and kitchen were very large and clean. The apartment was cleaned every day with the same care and attention as the hotel got (again very rare for a self service apartment). The apartments are located about a 2 minute walk from the hotel but the staff will help you take your bags there and come running if there is anything you need. The only issue I had with the apartments is the cancellation policy which is very strict, if you know your dates and they are fixed I would advise anyone to book the apartment as you get the same hotel service but in a large area space.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business