“Afternoon tea with style” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #89 of 1,087 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
UK
“Afternoon tea with style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Did not stay at this hotel but have been a few times now for afternoon tea. Lovely selection of sandwiches with large amount of filling, warm scones with cream and pleasant selection of cakes. Nice service from all the staff inside and out of the hotel. Pleasant afternoon after nightmar journey to London. Would recommend the afternoon tea

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank gail1842

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
surrey uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Went for a lunch time carvery at this hotel lovely grand appearance inside and out.Great atmosphere staff that served us in the carvery could not have been more helpful and so pleasant.

Food was great and plenty off it will be back for more ASAP you really must try this hotel it will not disappoint.Also front desk staff and doorman really nice and both had great sense of humour as we joked about the lovely clock's above the reception desk.

Room Tip: N/A as we did not stay.But will be in future.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gold Canyon, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

As others have said, the location is very convenient to the sights, as well as just a 5 minute walk to Victoria station. The rooms were well appointed but small, even for a major city. I would upgrade to a larger room if I returned. Aside from the location and the friendly staff, we were treated to a full English breakfast every morning with eggs to order. I have stayed in better but I got a good deal on the room rate so can't complain too much.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Debbie,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was delighted to read how much you liked the location of the hotel and how wonderful you found the service provided by my team. However, I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the size of your room. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation. I am sorry that this particular room was not to your liking, but please feel free to mention your preference for a larger room when you next make a reservation, and our Reservations Team will be only too pleased to meet with your request.

I am very sorry that overall your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

There's no doubt that this is a lovely hotel and for its class and prestige, reasonably priced when compared to other similar hotels. The service and staff were excellent and the public areas had a lovely traditional charm that I was particularly looking for for this trip. However, there are one or two areas that let it down and it's a shame, as they could be easily fixed.

We arrived at check in time and were offered a free glass of champagne in the bar while we waited for them to 'prepare' our keys(?) ...a very nice touch. The room, a superior king, was nice, if quite small, but I was already expecting that from reading other reviews. I was disappointed by the 'view' though - it was hideous!! Dirty pipes and external air-conditioning units presumably. The net curtains were also very grubby. We just kept the curtains drawn the whole time we were there. I know that some rooms have to have an 'internal' view, but they should be priced accordingly. I had told the hotel on booking that it was my 50th birthday on the day of arrival and so was disappointed that they hadn't seen fit to allocate a slightly better positioned room. The bed was comfortable and very large (although, just two singles pushed together) and the linen and pillows very high quality. The lighting in the room though was poor and difficult to get quite right. Only one side of the bed had a lamp for reading. The desk and drawers had seen better days and the addition of two chairs, a table and a stool made that area very cluttered. The bathroom was very small with cracked marble on the floor and around the tiny sink - the sort you'd find in someone's downstairs toilet! The cistern lid was also cracked and the flush button was badly fitted and loose. There was a kettle and tea and coffee pots were provided but no milk, not even the uht kind, and no biscuits. I tried to ring room service/reception to ask for some, but the phone wasn't working. I had to ring the hotel via my mobile to order milk! I was also surprised that there was no fridge in the room. These were all fairly small things that would have required only a little attention to fix, but collectively, they took the sheen off what could have been a lovely room.

I could have complained, and, given the attentiveness and willingness to please from the staff, I am sure they would have done their best to put things right. However, we were only staying one night and it's always difficult when a trip is for such a special occasion, to introduce negativity right from the start as there was plenty to enjoy about the stay. Cream tea was lovely, (but disappointingly, not served in china cups), another free glass of champagne to accompany, and breakfast was also very good in the lovely dining room.

Overall, a good experience, particularly due to staff and service, hence the 4 rating, but next time in London, I think I will go back to using the larger, more modern hotels located slightly out of the center, but offering more space and better room facilities.

Room Tip: Worth going for a superior or executive as I imagine the standard rooms must be very small!
1 Thank Revelstone
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor.

I was disappointed to learn about the issues you experienced during your stay and wanted to apologise for your less than perfect experience with us. Please be assured that I have discussed and been through each point raised in detail with my team here at The Rubens and the appropriate action is being taken to follow up on your points raised. I am so sorry for this overall experience putting a slight dampener on your stay with us. I agree with you, that many of these are easily fixed, and wanted to assure you that we are working hard to ensure that this is the case.

I wanted to thank you for your kind and gracious praise of our service levels and staff. It is fantastic to read that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful. We have a team of passionate and committed staff members and I know that they have appreciated hearing your praise of them.

Thank you once again for this feedback and for pointing out areas where improvement can be found. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rubens in person in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Fountain Hills, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

This old establishment is very convenient to base for a 4-night stay in London. It located across the street from the stables of Buckingham Palace and a short walk to Palace front gates. Staff was friendly, rooms very clean albeit typical small for the dollar. However, the elevator for guests was out of order most of time we stayed there. If we took the elevator, to our room on 3rd floor, it was the staff elevator which was blasted hot. Seems to be a normal occurrence at t his hotel. I would think that for the cost of a room, they could afford to fix the guest elevator properly. I have no problem taking stairs, however, sightseeing in London requires LOTS of walking all day and walking to dinner when taking a taxi seems a waste of money. So an elevator can be a sweet luxury.

Dear Isabella,

I was most concerned to read that our guest lifts were out of order for most part of your stay. We recently carried out essential refurbishment works to all our guest lifts, and had not anticipated a repeat breakdown within such a short time. Please be assured that this has now been dealt with, and is not reflective of our usual service standards.

I was equally sorry to hear that you found your room to be rather small. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation. When next you make a reservation, please feel free to make any specifications for a larger room known to our Reservations Team, who will be only too pleased to meet with your request.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site and would ask you to please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

Belfast,Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was booked into the Reubens by a colleague and i had not stayed here for many years. From the moment I arrived I felt so warmly welcomed from the doorman to the receptionist - it wasn't a case of here is another guest, they really wanted me to have an enjoyable stay and chatted away and asked me about my day as they were checking me in. I was pleasantly surprised that I had been upgraded to the 'Royal Wing' and when I got to my room, Mary Queen of Scots, I felt I had been transported to the Scottish Highlands - tartan bedspread, carpet, cushions and pictures of past kings and queens on the wall. A little bit kitsch but I really liked it. Room was compact and spotlessly clean but had everything necessary for a comfortable stay including a large wardrobe with plenty of storage to get suitcases out of the way, a desk and well equipped bathroom with separate bath and shower. We were going out in the evening and within 30 seconds the doorman had a taxi there for us - what service! In the morning the breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice including a chef to cook eggs to order if required and as I was on a room only rate it was only £12.50 extra which is a sensible price to encourage you to eat rather than ripping you off as many other hotels do. All staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly throughout and quite of few of them were English. I don't mean this to sound strange, but if you stay in London regularly this is unusual! I would certainly return in a heartbeat. It is not the cheapest in London, but great value for money in a great location.

Room Tip: An inner 'courtyard view' will be quieter as London traffic can be incessant.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was my first trip to London. We wanted a London boutique experience. The staff at this hotel went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We upgraded to a superior room/with breakfast and had a comfortable king bed. The rooms vary in size and ours was long and narrow. The bathroom was large by European standards. The morning English breakfast was something to look forward to. The Sunday tea was fun as you felt elegant looking out on the Mews. In the evenings we enjoyed a drink at the bar and had a lovely dinner at the Carvery restaurant before a play. The best part was location. You could walk just two blocks down to Victoria Station, use either the buses or the tube, three blocks down to the main tourist bus station...or just walk as most the main landmarks are within fifteen to twenty minutes.

3 Thank Linda C