“The Rubens at the Palace”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I visited here with another couple as we were attending the Festival of Rememberance. First impressions were very good and greeted by very curteous staff, as we arrived early the consierge took care of our bags until our rooms were ready. When we arrived back later that afternoon our bags were ready in our rooms which definately had the 'wow' factor. We had a look at our friends room which was decorated completely different which we thought was a good touch. The hotel was spotless and with handwritten notes welcoming us to the hotel. Breakfast was as good as you get from a large hotel, everything was fresh and displayed in an appealing way. All staff were helpfull and nothing too much trouble with The head consierge introducing us to the restaraunt next door with the recommendation for a Wagu beefburger which was top class. The only gripe was paying £22.50 for 3 black coffees and a cup of tea as at the end of the day its only boiling water and a few granules of tea/beans! saying that we probably will use this hotel again as its perfectly situated and we never once used the Tube all weekend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrgrumpy
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for the review of your recent stay.

Hearing ones guest experience helps me immensely to ensure that our services and consistency levels are as high as they can be.

I was pleased to read of the highlights of your stay, but sorry that our lounge prices offended. We do try very hard to maintain good value pricing and feel that we are comparing to other competitor hotels in our area. However, I am sorry that this has put a slight disappointment in your experience. Thus being said, I am hopeful that other areas of value of enjoyment made up someway for this.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards

Malcolm Hendry

Write a ReviewReviews (4,333)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed with wife and 2 kids for 1 night, arrived to a wonderful welcome, lots of attention to the children, took the pressure of the adults while we checked in (and had a drink - very nice selection!) room was spacious and very quiet didn't hear any traffic or street noise. Breakfast was good, lots of choice and a very spacious dining area. Location is brilliant, near to the palace and waking distance to Oxford St etc.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Johnemmerson
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Rubens in November 2013. The hotel is well situated near to Victoria Tube and in close walking distance to all attractions. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. I would certainly recommend taking advantage of the free turn down service and also eating in the Old Masters Restaurant. Their carvery was extremely good.

Only negative I had was coffee was lukewarm at breakfast but I an live with that.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 232 was ideal as it is in the centre of the hotel and of the main road. It was very quiet.
1  Thank GiovanniYeldarbo
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to share your experience with others. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay, highlighting specifically our welcome central location and our Old Masters Restaurant. Our Rib of Beef is a particular favourite amongst our guests.

I am sorry to hear of your coffee issue and have addressed this with my breakfast team. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens at the Palace in the not too distant future.

With my very best regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel as part of a London Theatre visit. All staff extremely friendly, very comfortable and well furnished bedroom and strong attention to detail. Happened to mention to a member of staff it was a Wedding Anniversary and we later found a card and small gift in our room. Also, very pleasant and relaxing bar area with live pianist.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have been to a couple of the Red Carnation group hotels before, the Summer Lodge in Dorset and Hotel 41, next door to the Rubens. Both hotels were fantastic and I would do again but the Rubens was different.

For the price the rooms are small for the price unlike the other two hotels.

The decor was standard corporate, unlike the other two hotels I stayed in.

What really let in down was the food in the bar. We had eaten a large lunch so decided to eat in the bar. We had between us two rounds of sandwiches, a portion of chips, two glasses of wine and a bottle of beer.

The sandwiches were white bread, that might have been bought from the corner shop when you ran out without any taste to it. Cutting the crusts off could not disguise this!

The chips tasted like frozen and not appetising.

And the cost for this culinary masterpiece...........................£51!!!

3  Thank DerbyHappytraveler60
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experiences following your stay with us. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of room that you had booked with us, and that as a hotel we faired a little less when compared to our other 5 star hotels 41 and Summer Lodge, both of course excellent hotels, and in nature much smaller boutique hotels compared with ourselves, a much larger 4 star experience.

This being said, I was especially disappointed to read of your experience in our bar. We pride ourselves on all of our standards, food service being no exception, and I am sorry that on this occasion we seem to have let you down. Please be assured that I have shared your experience with our Chef and re-iterated the importance of consistency and quality at all times. From our bread to chip potatoes, we feel that we are always insistent on the highest quality, and I am sorry that on this occasion you did not agree with this and were left disappointed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and my apologies for your disappointment.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Another wonderful stay at The Ruebens ,Reception great,concierge excellent ,were able to leave bags early & check in later,rooms clean & comfortable free Wifi,breakfast plenty & fresh planning 3 more stays in the new year can't wait.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rasberry9
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I'm studying abroad in London and my mother came to visit for a week and we stayed here.
I thought it was absolutely perfect.

The location is great- it's right in Victoria so it's near all the sites, along with great restaurants.
The rooms are very decently sized for a city like London.
The people who work in the hotel are friendly and ready to help you.
The breakfast and restaurant is very nice- definitely a perk.

I have really loved staying here and would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others!

Room Tip: The upper floors are quieter, but the lower floors aren't too loud, just a tiny bit noisy someti...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family