“4* with 5* service”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #74 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had 3 rooms booked for new years eve - 1 double, 1 twin and 1 single. ALL of the staff were welcoming, polite and helpful. Rooms were clean and well equipped and breakfast was of an excellent standard. I would like to thank Joanna Barnes for arranging birthday cakes for 2 of our party, my husband and I also received a 'welcome' card and cookies on arrival - all of which were gratefully received. We can fully understand why this hotel constantly receives good reviews, many thanks to all.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Coxy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,411)

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were given a night's stay at Rubens with dinner and a drink for our 30th birthday present which we used a week before Christmas.

The hotel was beautiful, in a fantastic location and the staff were tremendous. It felt a little like stepping back in time with a doorman in cloak and top hat, well turned out staff and an expensive ambience.

Our stay had been bought through buyagift.com so it was essentially a voucher but we weren't treated any differently and were even upgraded to a superior room and made a fuss of in being given birthday chocolates in our room and after dinner.

I'd love to stay here again and if you can afford it or are thinking it as a special gift I'd have no hesitation in recommending Rubens as a fine London institution.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John O
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here the week of Dec. 9, 2013 and could not have had a better time. The staff was extremely accommodating and genuinely interested in our well-being. Any glitches in service were immediately resolved and we were always better off than before. The Hampton Court Suite was delightfully furnished with one of the most comfortable beds I've slept in. The hotel itself is very charming and well located for sight-seeing. We would definitely return.

4  Thank Cheryl C
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We had a 7 day stay for the holiday. This is an hotel with character, very well decorated and a truly 5+ star staff. The staff are all top shelf--the best in the business which makes this a 5 star property.
The attention to our comfort and desires was outstanding.
Two blocks from the changing of the Guard and a perfect location for sightseeing.

Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank CDlaw
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed 3 nights between Christmas and New Year and were generally pleased with the hotel.
I had requested a spacious quiet room but were shown to a very small room overlooking many airconditioning outlets. However, after speaking to reception we were shown a better room on a higher floor - it did face the road but we were not unduly disturbed by street noise. The room was nicely furnished - although it had very creeky floorboards and the toilet cistern was rather problematic. Sound proofing between rooms is not the best. The bed was smaller in comparison with those of many other more contemporary hotels - obviously because of room size. There were minor irritations with the first mornings' breakfast, but my concerns were addressed with great courtesy and consideration. In fact, at all times staff were very friendly and helpful - genuinely keen that guests have a good experience. The hotel is traditional in style and has a nice relaxing atmosphere. It has a good location - easy walks to many tourist locations and taxis always available when needed. On consideration we now wish we had stayed over on New Year's Eve and would consider using The Rubens again.

Room Tip: I think it would be worth trying to get one of the larger rooms.
2  Thank CCjC_13
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you were happy following your stay and found our staff and location as a good position. I was happy to see that when called upon, my staff looked after your requirements; it really is such a great thing when we are given the opportunity to address any issues during a stay, and I am always confident that when made aware, my team enjoy a high success rate in meeting guest satisfaction and happiness. Thank you for your kind words and I hope that perhaps we might enjoy you staying with us next New Year!
Kind Regards,
Malcolm Hendry, General Manager

Reviewed 31 December 2013

From the moment we walked into the hotel we were met with smiling faces and a warm welcome from the staff, and an excellent tip where to park which saved us £70.00.
Our room was lovely with a lovely overlooking the mews gates and we really enjoyed our anniversary cheesecake in the room when we arrived.
We had a mouthwatering meal on our first night, then a trip to the theatre to see Charlie and the choccy which was great.
We slept well and our breakfast was again mouthwatering, we did a little sightseeing then back for afternoon tea..... Yup you guessed it mouthwatering.
In the evening we visited winter wonderland in Hyde park then back to the hotel for a spot of room service, the staff overall were excellent especially the breakfast and dinner service staff.
The young English doorman ( forgot his name) was a real gent, although on one occasion a non-English doorman working at the same time was extremely rude and un complimentary to him something I didn't particularly like, or wished to hear.
It was an excellent stay and would stay here again in a flash
We didn't use the off site leisure facilities so cannot rate them

Room Tip: 417 was a lovely room although the bed was only a double not a queen as stated
1  Thank Kindred123
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review and share your experience. I really enjoy reading some of your appreciated highlights of your stay, featuring some of the noticeable touches we like to add to a guest experience. Our doorman of 15 years Nathan is indeed top class and provides many a perfect first impression to guests on arrival or return. I am sorry that one of our team disappointed you, it is unusual to hear this, but I have spoken to my front lobby team and asked them to be aware of your experience. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again as our guest.

Kind Regards
Malcolm Hendry, General Manager

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I visited the hotel twice in the last 4 months and on both occasions, was a very nice experience. Location is great, right next to Victoria station, but the nice thing about the hotel is that it's cozy and quiet, so coming for the craziness, loud atmosphere of the street, it's a very nice. The only downside is that it's so small that some amenities people would look for in a hotel this rate are not to be found (pool, gym, etc.). The staff were super helpful and nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Danabri

Thank you for your review. I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and found that inside the hotel offered such a calm and cozy atmosphere. We have a great relationship with a local gym (moments from the hotel), and guests as part of their stay can use their full facilities, including a pool and top class gym facility. Thank you again for your kind review.

Kind Regards