“Lovely hotel and central”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #83 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Exmouth Devon
“Lovely hotel and central”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed two nights from 28/03/14 - beautiful hotel, friendly staff, nothing to much trouble, so convenient for Victoria Station and touring the area - everything is a manageable walk or short taxi ride. Have used Red Carnation group hotels before and can only highly recommend them to you

1 Thank Devonfletch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
guernsey channel islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed at The Rubens 2 nights for the special day that saw me receive the MBE from Prince Willam at Buckingham Palace. I took 2 rooms one for me and one for my sons. The second night I took a further 2 rooms for a friend and her partner and her daughter. Another fcouple also stayed that night in our party. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left the staff were charming and so helpful. I so appreciated all the special touches in the room everytime I returned from the welcome card to the congratulations with chocolate brownie squares! We made quite a noise and on the Tuesday night we were having quite a party in the lounge until very late and the staff were fabulous. My friend came up to surprise me and hired the private bar where we were treated to Champagne and Canapes all served by a lovely barman.
This stay made my time in London one of the most memorable of my life and I will never forget it! Thank you to all the staff who made us all feel so welcome and helped to make it a special time to lodge in my memory!

Room Tip: I saw 4 of the rooms and they were all fantastic
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked this hotel for a 2 night birthday weekend in London, and chose this particular hotel for the location - only 2 minutes from Buckingham Palace, and the same from Victoria Station.

The staff were everything you'd expect from a hotel of this quality - efficient, courteous and helpful.

The room we had was probably at the back of the hotel, but there were so many corridors and doors and corners, that it was difficult to tell exactly where we were! The room was small, but made to feel a lot larger by mirrors on most of the walls, and by no means cramped. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom clean.

One particular thing worthy of mention - The menu we wanted to order from in the restaurant had changed the day before we arrived, which was disappointing. However, the chef made us a special meal not actually on the menu to make up for this. This was excellent service, and made us feel very special.

Highly recommended as a place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martyn F
Lexington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Since we stayed here 5 years ago, the hotel improved a lot! The renovated room was much bigger than the one we stayed 5 years ago and the very good English breakfast was included this time.

The location is perfect and service is warm and helpful. And, it's reasonable for London hotels. We'll come back again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YWScott
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

As the title suggests, our experience at The Rubens at the Palace Hotel was amazing. From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted warmly with the Guest Services Manager - Marta personally introducing herself and congratulating us on our Honeymoon.
The Concierge desk, Dave in particular, were available to help with anything we needed. From confirming our tours, to recommending local restaurants that were delicious, to helping us buy tickets to Phantom of the Opera.
We would come back here in a heartbeat! Thank you all for making the last few days of our honeymoon a memorable one.
Thanks from Mr and Mrs Taggert

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Lluczo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a three day break in London when we stayed at the Rubens at the Palace Hotel. It was not our first stay at the Rubens, we have been going there three or four times a year for around four years. I thought it was time to share my views of this excellent hotel.

Where the Rubens Hotel excels, and why we keep returning to it, is the high standard of guest services provided. Over the years we have never been disappointed.
As you might expect for a hotel with a 4 star rating all the usual guest requirements are met. Rooms are well decorated and equipped. Food served in the restaurant, bar and breakfast room is first rate. The bar is comfortable and efficiently run.

What appeals to us is the quiet and friendly way that we are treated, good service appears not to be the result of special efforts but the norm for all of the staff. This is the sign of a confident hotel well versed in providing what its customers expect.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel don't have much of a view but they are very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank james l
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Be careful when the staff asks if you want your bill in pounds or dollars. If you choose dollars it is likely you will pay much more than if you had paid in pounds. Otherwise the hotel is nice and the location has good bus service and tube service.

6 Thank FrankieSueDelPapa
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens.

I was delighted to read that you liked the location of the hotel. However, I am sorry that you felt our exchange rates are unfavourable. We update these twice a day and are based on a commercial exchange rate supplied to us by a leading bank.
I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens in person in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,