“18th Birthday!”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #72 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 October 2008

My stay at the Rueben's was the most amazing trip of my life. My mom, dad, and sister went for a week to London to be followed by a week in Ireland for a business trip for my dad. This trip was two years ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday. Yes, the rooms are on the smaller side but once you learn that the hotel was originally a boarding house for coming out debutantes, the stay takes on a whole new meaning. Thinking about the past in these rooms was truly amazing. While we were in London, I was lucky enough to celebrate my 18th birthday at the hotel and this will be one that I will never forget. While in the bar with my parents and sister, I was serenaded by the piano player who played Happy Birthday while we toasted with champagne and ate cake. There really is no better way to spend your birthday than with your family in a dream location. The staff was amazing and extremely accommodating, they want to make your stay as amazing as it can be. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to have a personal, meaningful trip with a little bit of history mixed in. If you are in to spacious, over the top rooms, this is definitely not for you. Enjoy your one of a kind trip and make the most memories you possibly can, they will never be forgotten!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank mnyhs17

Reviewed 27 September 2008

Clean, nicely decorated, good service. A great base for business travellers or for exploring London.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Found myself hastily booking a BOS-LHR business trip to speak at a conference with a group I had forgotten I belonged to!...oh well, forget the Hiltons and the other places my associates were staying at...I wanted to go back to the lovely, little Rubens (I had stayed there before, in 2003, with Mrs. Z, on a pleasure trip, and we had a royal suite and loved it).

No suite this time, as I was alone...well, it was called a Junior suite...very ample size, with a nice large bathroom, and Queen size bed.

The only lapse in service came at checkin, at 9am...now, to be clear, I have the room booked and guaranteed for the prior night (when I am flying in from the states), so that , when I arrive very early, the room is already made up and mine...well, they cancelled me as a NO-SHOW...even though I it was guaranteed for 3 nights...big boo-boo...they gathered together at the front counter, and came up with a small, rear facing room that I could rest in, shower, etc, while my Jr. suite was readied for late afternoon occupancy....good recovery on the staff's part, I think, and I had only the minor inconvenience of re-packing and moving to the other room later.

Always enjoy having a Pimm's Cup in the bar adjacent to the lobby.

Had fast very early, dinner at Carvery, Master's...good beef carved by the proper Scottish chef, in his full whites and toque (he told me he was Scottish).

In the am, I enjoyed nibbling at the many components of the full, English breakfast that was included in my rate plan...that was served in the same restaurant that becomes the carvery.

Enjoyed the views of The Mews out front, while wondering what's going on inside that whole Palace complex.

Will always return to Rubens...........................................z

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
4  Thank Zricky47
Reviewed 18 September 2008

For a short break in London, you could do no better than stay at the Rubens by the Palace.
It is not the swishest or the most expensive. But it is immaculately turned out. Our room (up from the standard) was nicely decorated and comfortably furnished with the best hotel bed we have slept in.
However, the most impressive thing here is the service. The staff are clearly well trained and motivated. It is so nice, nowdays, to experience good old fashioned courtesy.
Great restaurant-too. Pricey, but worth it for the occasion. Also, you only get what you pay for, and here you get quality by the spadeful-or should it be by the forkful!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BrightonBandleader
Reviewed 11 September 2008

I stayed at the Ruebens Hotel for workpurposes for 3 nights in September 2008. The location is superb, and so is the staff. All of the staff went out of their way to be friendly, helpful, and accommodating (the concierge found us tickets for the show we wanted at the very last moment). The food is very good, including the breakfast buffet. The disappointing part was the rooms. I had booked a non-smoking room, but upon arrival, none was available. The smell in the room I was given was very strong, stale cigar-like. I was told there is a sophisticated aircleaning system, and that they would run it again in my room the next day, but the smell was as bad on the second and third night. Rooms are small, there was hardly any place to walk around the bed, but the bed was comfortable. Amenities in the bathroom were very good quality. My room was supposedly on the more quiet side of the hotel, but it was very noisy and traffic was running all night. Wireless internet worked very well on the first day I used it, but not so well on the second day where I lost the connection about 10 times in less than 2 hours. While I was happy enough there, I will try something else next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank pixiejade
Reviewed 5 September 2008

Excellent hotel in great location with very friendly and professional staff. Great buffet breakfast and comfortable rooms. Definitely would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank DavidGlasgow01
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I stayed at Reubens a number of weeks ago. It was to my horror that checking my credit card bill that I noticed that the hotel had taken an additional £216 from my credit card supposedly due to a mistake by the night auditor! What the night auditor was doing with my credit card details and how he accessed them when I checked out at midday remains to be seen. It does not matter how good or bad the hotel is if you cannot trust the employees.

• Stayed: August 2008