“great location”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #71 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great location, very friendly staff and happy to help you out with anything you needed to know. Our room was looking a bit old, but was clean and not a bad size. We had no view from our room, but it was very quiet and warm. We had afternoon tea their but found food very bland and sandwiches dry ( bread) and not worth the money.

2  Thank mikvik2014
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is fantastic to read that you liked the location of the hotel and that you enjoyed being looked after by our staff and team here. I am however sorry that you were a little disappointed with the style of your room. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives, and as a standard we look to call every guest within 20 minutes of arrival, to check on room allocation satisfaction.

I was also sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea. We have been achieving incredible consistency in our afternoon tea service lately and have received so much positive feedback that it is extremely disappointing to hear of your experience. All of our afternoon tea sandwiches are freshly made on the day, which makes it even more disappointing to learn that you found the bread to be dry. I have conveyed your disappointment to my Food & Beverage Director and my Executive Pastry Chef, who have since discussed the issues you raised.

I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for The Rubens at the Palace

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hotel was excellent, service and staff were fantastic.
Only 4 stars as the hotel bar was really expensive, 1 wine and 1 bottle of lager was £17.
We had breakfast and the variety of the choice was perfect and the food quality was brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ldorian81
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, I was so pleased to share your experience with my team.
I’m really sorry that you found our bar expensive. We do try hard to stay very competitive amongst our locality, and hope that our selection of nibbles, dips and chips, and evening toasted cheese, supplements drinks enjoyed throughout the day. It was so good to see that you enjoyed breakfast and that our variety and quality was brilliant.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed at the Rubens for two nights 31/05/2014, and had wonderful experience. Our room over looked the royal mews situated . Although a very busy road outside the noise at night was very minimal. Had a perfect 2 nights sleep. Room was comfortable lovely clean bedding etc and very big bed. Facilities in the room were what you would expect from an up market hotel and the little extra like bath robes and slippers and toiletries were very good. Its worth paying the little extra for a kings room. Bathroom was a little dated and bath was passed its sell by date rusty plugs crack in the bath but very clean. Overall the hotel deco is lovely and very period.
The service from all staff was exceptional all were very friendly helpful and professional. nothing was too much bother for them.
Afternoon tea is a must and lots of it. extra sandwiches etc. were available if you wanted them.
We didn't eat in the hotel as felt it was a little over priced. There are lots of eating places to the rear of the hotel in the Victoria area. La tasca, Nandos ZIZi, and lots more all reasonably priced .
Would definitely stay at the Rubens again and recommend it to everyone

Room Tip: Ask for a kings room over looking the royal mews although our room was on the first floor noise was...
2  Thank Sylvia G
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I don't get it. I was very excited about staying at this hotel based upon the many reviews I'd read prior to my stay. I was looking forward to a great location, a small, but lovely room and excellent service. The location is good in that it is close to the Tube, Buckingham Palace and Westminster...but that's it. There are no decent restaurants in the area other than the BBar next door and the location is absolutely dead after 4pm. There is no main lobby sitting area and the rooms are not only small, but run down and dowdy. There is a difference between old world charm and old. Upon arrival, the staff was extremely nice, but the young evening concierge is clueless. He couldn't even recommend a restaurant in the area when the BBar was closed, nor could anyone tell me a good Greek restaurant nor the tube stop for Selfridge's ...a major shopping district. Nor could he direct us to a currency exchange bank. I have been to London many times and have liked to stay somewhere different each time...this was a mistake. I would not recommend the Ruben's. It is an expensive hotel that is certainly not worth the price. I will never understand all of the fine ratings...just because of a good breakfast?

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Susan C

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I really am sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had hoped for. It’s a real shame that information given at our concierge desk was not more detailed, as Victoria and Belgravia really do have numerous bars and restaurants to choose from. I have spoken to my concierge regards this, and ensuring that we are doing everything we can to find and provide the very best local choices, whether they are for drinking and dining or shopping and exchange. I am also sorry that you found the lobby small for sitting in. We purposely choose to keep our lobby free from furniture, as it opens into both our bar and lounge, many of the tables there providing good views of the lobby and front desk, thus allowing the lobby to remain free and open and not become congested. I am sorry that this did not meet with approval.

Once again, I really am sorry that you were disappointed by elements of your stay, but thank you for sharing these with me.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We went here for a birthday lunch and had a fabulous time from start to finish Steve Jones and maisie in the restaurant excelled themselves and made us feel very welcome. The lunch was lovely we had sticky toffee pudding with ice cream definitely one to try it wasn't to heavy either. You must try one of there pimms and lemonades definitely the best I have ever tried very well balanced and lots of different fruits from the normal ones.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank nickerina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

From check in to check out, all the staff were exceptionally friendly, professional and helpful. The restaurant was absolutely first class in every respect. We ate all our meals there which is something we generally avoid when staying at any hotel. Excellent location just 5 minutes from Buckingham Palace.

4  Thank 845Bert
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We've previously stayed at the Chesterfield Mayfair and loved it. However, to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary we were unable to book our preferred room rate with them, which is why we decided to try another of the Red Carnation Hotels. We booked direct with Rubens and got their best room rate inclusive of breakfast. We booked an executive room and advised them we were there to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Upon arrival, we were checked in by a very pleasant Receptionist who noted it was a special occasion and upgraded us to a Junior Suite, on the 3rd floor. The room was beautifully decorated, the bed huge. Air Conditioning was also a godsend. We'd only been in our room a few moments, when there was a knock at the door, and room service presented us with complimentary chocolates and a card. This was a lovely touch and made us feel very special. Breakfast the next morning was served in the main Restaurant and was delicious. We were really happy with our stay at Rubens and would recommend for a Special Occasion. Thanks for a memorable night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple