The Rubens at the Palace
US$261
US$216
  • Pool
4,527 results
All reviewsbuckingham palacevictoria stationlibrary restaurantafternoon teaold masterscavalry barred carnationjames parkking roomfull english breakfastconcierge deskwonderful hotellovely roomgreen parktrafalgar squarebig benlocation was perfect
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the Rubens for 5 nights from the end of May through early June. All three of us were delighted with the experience. Everyone on the staff was cheery and helpful from beginning through the end. Book the tea: you will enjoy the experience (the desserts in particular were excellent as was the variety of teas we tried). The doormen in particular were outstandingly helpful in getting us taxis.

The location in within a couple of blocks of Buckingham Palace and the tube so you can easily walk or get transportation easily.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and they were able to accommodate our request. You are in a city...so some street noise is unavoidable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Liz W
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I booked a room at the Rubens as a birthday surprise for my Fiancé. He had always wanted to stay at the Rubens so I thought his 30th birthday was the perfect opportunity. Hailing originally from London I had no experience of staying in a hotel in London so I was perhaps a little dubious as to what would be so special. However, our experience at the Rubens did not disappoint!
I had mentioned to the receptionist the reason for our stay when I booked the room. We were very touched therefore to find a plate of home made goodies with a happy birthday message in our room on arrival. In addition a hand written card was included wishing us a pleasant stay and my boyfriend a happy birthday!
From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and cheerful staff who were very helpful and friendly.
We enjoyed a drink in the bar in the evening followed by a relaxing evening in our very comfortable room. We ordered room service which was fantasticly organised and were really made to feel at home. The following morning we dined like kings at breakfast!

This hotel is elegant and classic. It is kept in keeping with the era in which it was built. Yes perhaps the decor is a little tired in places but I believe this just adds to the charm. It is the excellent and personal service that is the selling point at the Rubens, something which many modern hotels lack.
It was an absolutely wonderful weekend, my only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!
Thank you to the Rubens team for making my Fiancés birthday so fantastic. We hope to return in the not too distant future!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank katnina86
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We traveled with adult children and booked two separate rooms. The hotel is lovely, old charm. I like the decor in one of the rooms but not so much in room two. It was very red...too red for me. But since we only stayed in the room briefly, we didn't fuss. The room accommodations were great as well as service..it just wasn't my color. I would definitely stay again ...it was so convenient!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jeanine F
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

A charming hotel with fantastic staff that make you feel your in safe hands.

We stayed in a small but comfortable room with great rainstorm flood shower and huge and superbly comfortable bed.

Room service was faultless, breakfast was a large array of fruit, cereals and a huge buffet of English breakfast and chef to prepare anything bespoke if you so would wish.

The Bar in the evening was filled with music from the hotels own pianist playing throughout the evening.

The Rubens offers heritage, a sense of understated style and refinement - what many top hotels have forgotten about.

In all there was no faults in our stay and would highly recommend that anyone stay at The Rubens at the Palace or Plaza.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sz600r
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Great location, very friendly staff and happy to help you out with anything you needed to know. Our room was looking a bit old, but was clean and not a bad size. We had no view from our room, but it was very quiet and warm. We had afternoon tea their but found food very bland and sandwiches dry ( bread) and not worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikvik2014
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is fantastic to read that you liked the location of the hotel and that you enjoyed being looked after by our staff and team here. I am however sorry that you were a little disappointed with the style of your room. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives, and as a standard we look to call every guest within 20 minutes of arrival, to check on room allocation satisfaction.

I was also sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your afternoon tea. We have been achieving incredible consistency in our afternoon tea service lately and have received so much positive feedback that it is extremely disappointing to hear of your experience. All of our afternoon tea sandwiches are freshly made on the day, which makes it even more disappointing to learn that you found the bread to be dry. I have conveyed your disappointment to my Food & Beverage Director and my Executive Pastry Chef, who have since discussed the issues you raised.

I do hope that the above did not detract too much from an otherwise enjoyable stay and that I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,