“Afternoon Tea”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful Afternoon Tea with 7 friends to celebrate a birthday. I booked directly with the hotel and the whole experience was lovely. The warm greeting upon arrival and the wonderful service by the 3 ladies on duty made the day special. The food was beautifully presented and tasted as good as it looked. There was more than enough for us all and any extra was boxed up to take home. A special decorated birthday plate was presented to my friend and a birthday card, which was a nice touch. Thank you Rubens for a lovely tea!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank foxylady63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed for a week in the two-bedroom apartment. We were absolutely delighted, and highly recommend these accommodations.
The apartments are about a 5 minutes walk from the Hotel, down a charming side street. The apartment is beautifully decorated and has every conceivable convenience: robes, espresso machine and milk frother, toaster, full kitchen, towel warmers in the bathrooms, etc. Follow a staircase up to your PRIVATE roof-top patio, perfect for a glass of wine at the end of the day.
From the moment we checked in, the staff could not have been more helpful, kind and gracious, anticipating our every need, and reacting quickly to any requests.
Thank you so much to the staff and ownership of The Rubens for providing us with the perfect apartment. Your personal and thoughtful touches really put our stay over the top.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with your family, choose the two-bedroom apartment. You'll love the ext...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank LGP6868
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

A group of us stayed at the Rubens for 5-6 nights as we were on business in London. The hotel and staff were extremely accommodating and flexible with us. My room was clean, comfortable and quiet with internet access. The breakfast each day was delicious with a multitude of choices. The staff were all polite and anxious to help with questions, directions, taxis, etc. We will definitely plan to return when we are in London again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank LeighBC97
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always wonderful and encouraging to receive such positive feedback.

I was particularly pleased to read that you liked our breakfast offering and found the choice to be large and varied. We receive many positive comments on the standard of our breakfasts and many of our guests praise the variety and choices offered, from the free-range eggs, full English breakfast, omelettes, pancakes and waffles cooked to order, to the large selection of cereals, fruits, yoghurts and pastries offered in our Continental breakfast selection. In addition to this and as part of our Continental and full breakfast selection, we also offer a selection of organic, dietary specific and healthy items.

I was equally pleased to read how wonderful you found the service provided by my team. Here at The Rubens we pride ourselves on having a reputation for excellent service and are committed to exceeding our guests’ expectations. Feedback like yours is the best way to motivate my team as it shows them that their hard work is appreciated.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Many thanks and best regards,

Malcolm Hendry
South Lyon, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at the Rubens and I have to say the best time. They just make you feel so at home and special here. We got 2 rooms as we are a family of 5 and they put us right next to each other. Both rooms were terrific and had loads of style and amenities. The hotel is within walking distance to so many things plus the Tube station where we zipped around the city with no problems. Boghdan at the concierge was awesome! He eased our fears of the Tube and how to navigate it. We're from the country and were hesitant to use the Tube, but his help was crucial in our decision to use it.
Breakfast was also terrific so glad we decided to add it to our package as it's a big breakfast and we didn't need anything else but a snack til dinner which saved us loads of time. We will definitely be back to the Rubens. Can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Linda M
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We've stayed here three times and love the location. It is a wonderful location for walking to many of the London sites: Buckingham Palace, Wellington Arch, The Mall, St. James Park, Trafalager Square, Whitehall, Westminister Abbey, Big Ben, Hourse Guards, and House of Parliament. The breakfast is the best we have ever had. We will go back just for that! Late afternoon and evening meals in the very comfortable lounge are also great. The kids loved the food. The rooms are small, but the other benefits outweighted this. The hotel staff is very help friendly and concierge is one of a kind! Thank you for all your help.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura K
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

What a perfect afternoon.
We had booked the tea with the Palace as a backdrop for a well deserved treat. It delivered everything and more.
We arrived a bit early so had a drink in the bar served with delicious snacks. It was lovely listening to overseas visitors stories of what they had planned while in London. The hotel is incredible, I could make myself quite at home here.
On to tea. A perfect seat by the window to watch the world go by- or the world to watch us. A lovely wave from a family, photos taken from the hop on, hop off buses, I felt like a celebrity! It was lovely seeing people genuinely happy seeing our cake stands and teapots.
The food was delicious. I cannot believe we ate it all, not eating all day helped I guess. I did enjoy the chicken and almond roll, I shall return for these. And the macaroons, well done to the chef, these were the best I have had! No need to go to Paris anymore.
Thank you to The Rubens, wonderful memories and look forward to visiting again very soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikahaga
Hastings, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Rubens is a lovely hotel. The location is perfect if you want to be close to it all. It is in walking distance of Victoria Station, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park and some very nice restaurants & pubs. The hotel staff, especially the concierge, is marvelous, extremely accomodationg and very friendly.

Our room (deluxe Twin) was beautiful but very tiny, not quite large enough for two women + luggage. However, we were not in the room very often so it did not matter so much. The bathroom is a good size and the shower was wonderful. There is a nice a deep tub, perfect for a good soak at the end of the day. There is a coffee and tea service in-room for that first cup in the morning which I, personally, enjoy!

We had one meal in the bar when we first arrived on a Tuesday evening. The food was quite good but it took nealy an hour for it to arrive at our table (a ham sandwich and a chicken pie). We also had one meal in the "carvery" on Saturday evening. The "buffet" consisted of a few salad items, roasted beef, yorkshire puddings, some potato dish, peas and some other veg. The beef was over-cooked and I could not eat it. I was offered a steak instead. The steak was cooked properly but was tough and hard to chew. Our waiter was very sweet and wanted to make things right but there was nothing that he could do. The dining room was about to close (7 PM) and the meal was part of our hotel package so a refund was not possible. We ate breakfast in the dining room each morning and it was very, very good. Eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, coffee, tea, fruit and so much more. The breakfast was included in our package but we would have gladly paid extra each day to enjoy such. a wonderful breakfast.

When I return to London next year I will defiantely book a room at the Rubens. I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask the square footage of the room before you book.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anne J
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the quality of food and service provided to you. Here at The Rubens, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction my Executive Chef and my Food & Beverage Director and have emphasised the importance of the consistency of standards and speed of service, which they in turn have taken back to their teams. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

On a more positive note, it is wonderful to hear that our location was perfect for your stay and that you really enjoyed our breakfast.

Thank you once again for this feedback and for pointing out areas where improvement can be found. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rubens in person in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,