“The best by far”

GreenLeadersBronze level
dover
“The best by far”
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We have just come back from 2 nights at the Rubens by the Palace hotel. Everything was fantastic, the staff very professional and freindly, in fact we have not got anything negative to say, and we have been to loads of hotels in London. This is the best 4 star we have stayed in.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Graham M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (875)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We stayed at the Rubens by the Palace for 8 nights at the end of September 2008. The hotel is on a busy street, but due to the location, you can walk to two tube locations, Victoria and Green Circle, as well as theatres, Buckingham Palace, The Royal Mews, etc. The hotel rooms are small! I mean tiny! We had a king and the women who checked us in commented on the length of our impending stay and offered to upgrade us, but at a cost we were not willing to pay. The beds are wonderful and the pillows are pure heaven! Complementary bottled mineral and still water is refreshed every day and there are washclothes, tissue and hair dryers in the rooms, not something that other UK hotels provide.

The concierge staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating and the Library restaurant provided one of the best meals of our 2 week UK vacation.

Because I booked through a travel agent friend, I did not get the pre-arrival special needs request that I have seen that other hotel guests have gotten. We were there during a special occasion and would have welcomed an opportunity to do something special for my husband. I guess you need to book directly with the hotel to get that perk, and I was dissappointed.

The lounge and bar were very comfy after a long day of touring touring London's sites and they had a decent wine list, but scanty appetizers. Matthew, a regular waiter in the bar was super great.

Buy an Oyster Card either before you arrive or at Heathrow. That was the bargain of our trip as we were able to go anywhere in London at no additional cost, as often as we wished during a 7 day time frame.

The hotel is an easy walk from Victoria Station, Starbucks and MANY small local dining establishments. I highly recommend this hotel, but perhaps we should have gotten a larger room and paid the extra cost. It would have been more comfortable for such a long stay.

• Liked — comfortable ammenities in sleeping rooms and great restaurant.
  • Disliked — Tiny rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bookchic
Greece
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We stayed at the Rubens at 3/10-5/10.It was our first trip to London and we loved it.The stuff were amazing and extremly helpfull to us(and always happy to answer our millions questions believe me on this).We had a smoking room as we reguest it(THANK YOU).Our room was very very clean.We stayed only for 2 days..and it was wonderfull.Of cource Rubens was on of the things that made this trip amazing!!Special thanks to Mrs.Camilla and the Concierge team!!!See you very soon.......

• Liked — The amazingly friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing it was all perfect!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank GreeceGeorgia
Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 8 October 2008

My sister and I enjoyed a wonderful reunion in London this year. She came from Calgary, Alberta in Canada, and I came from Harare, Zimbabwe. We were celebrating my 50th birthday, and decided to treat ourselves and stay in a special hotel, and visit London's historical sites. The Rubens fulfilled everything we could have wished for and more. We found the staff to be exceptionally caring, and we were lavished with attention! During our six-day stay they got to know us, and were always available for a chat or a laugh with us. Staying at the Rubens felt like home! The food was wonderful, and we particularly liked our evening cocktails in the bar, where delicious bar snacks were provided. We had our favourite position in the lounge, in front of the huge picture window looking out over the Royal Mews, where we were served an amazing High Tea. Our room was compact but very comfortable, and there were many thoughtful touches. This hotel is perfectly situated for theatres, shopping and sightseeing, and I cannot wait to return! Thank you for the stay of a lifetime.

• Liked — The comfort of the beds, and the quality of the bedlinen
  • Disliked — Strange smell of old cigarette smoke
  • Stayed September 2008
2 Thank LondonLady50
Maryland
Reviewed 3 October 2008

My stay at the Rueben's was the most amazing trip of my life. My mom, dad, and sister went for a week to London to be followed by a week in Ireland for a business trip for my dad. This trip was two years ago but I still remember it like it was yesterday. Yes, the rooms are on the smaller side but once you learn that the hotel was originally a boarding house for coming out debutantes, the stay takes on a whole new meaning. Thinking about the past in these rooms was truly amazing. While we were in London, I was lucky enough to celebrate my 18th birthday at the hotel and this will be one that I will never forget. While in the bar with my parents and sister, I was serenaded by the piano player who played Happy Birthday while we toasted with champagne and ate cake. There really is no better way to spend your birthday than with your family in a dream location. The staff was amazing and extremely accommodating, they want to make your stay as amazing as it can be. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to have a personal, meaningful trip with a little bit of history mixed in. If you are in to spacious, over the top rooms, this is definitely not for you. Enjoy your one of a kind trip and make the most memories you possibly can, they will never be forgotten!

• Liked — The personal touches by the hotel staff and the history of the hotel.
  • Disliked — The size of the rooms was tough to get used to.
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank mnyhs17
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Clean, nicely decorated, good service. A great base for business travellers or for exploring London.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 September 2008

Found myself hastily booking a BOS-LHR business trip to speak at a conference with a group I had forgotten I belonged to!...oh well, forget the Hiltons and the other places my associates were staying at...I wanted to go back to the lovely, little Rubens (I had stayed there before, in 2003, with Mrs. Z, on a pleasure trip, and we had a royal suite and loved it).

No suite this time, as I was alone...well, it was called a Junior suite...very ample size, with a nice large bathroom, and Queen size bed.

The only lapse in service came at checkin, at 9am...now, to be clear, I have the room booked and guaranteed for the prior night (when I am flying in from the states), so that , when I arrive very early, the room is already made up and mine...well, they cancelled me as a NO-SHOW...even though I it was guaranteed for 3 nights...big boo-boo...they gathered together at the front counter, and came up with a small, rear facing room that I could rest in, shower, etc, while my Jr. suite was readied for late afternoon occupancy....good recovery on the staff's part, I think, and I had only the minor inconvenience of re-packing and moving to the other room later.

Always enjoy having a Pimm's Cup in the bar adjacent to the lobby.

Had fast very early, dinner at Carvery, Master's...good beef carved by the proper Scottish chef, in his full whites and toque (he told me he was Scottish).

In the am, I enjoyed nibbling at the many components of the full, English breakfast that was included in my rate plan...that was served in the same restaurant that becomes the carvery.

Enjoyed the views of The Mews out front, while wondering what's going on inside that whole Palace complex.

Will always return to Rubens...........................................z

• Liked — small boutique feel, yet full service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business