“The best hotel in the best spot and with the best people!”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #72 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Firstly can I start by saying that I do not write reviews - genuinely! I have purposely joined Trip Advisor to write this so hopefully that will get your attention!

I have worked in London for many years and have been lucky enough to have also stayed on numerous occasions for both business and pleasure and I can honestly say that I have never come across a hotel as lovely as The Ruebens. It is a fantastic hotel by itself, but what really makes it are the people that work here and the attention to detail they give eveything.

For me, it is the personal touch you get from somewhere that makes you want to return again and again and the team at the The Ruebens without exception alway deliver on this.

After a number of stressful months trying to decide on where to get married, my fiance and I threw the towel in and decided that it would be far more intimate if we actually did what we really wanted! So with that in mind we decided we wanted to take our nearest and dearest and 2 chocolate labs to London at Christmas and do it there. We went straight on the web and found The Ruebens at the Palace having searched for pet friendly hotels. First of all we really liked the look of it on the web and the fact that the website itself is easy to navigate, then when we really looked into it and found that they werent kidding they really were pet friendly, we felt we had hopefuly hit the jack pot! Boy had we!

We sent them an enquiry on the Sunday evening which was followed up by a phone call at 9am on the Monday morning when we spoke to the lovely Katie Furlong (Events Sales Manager). I need not have been concerned at all that they might not have got the email, the team were already looking at it and preparing the details for the quote for me! But when Katie then started telling me about the services they actually provide for pets, such as the menu they offer, the dog sitting services and the fact that they could arrange to have a member of their team walk them for us, oh and could I send a photo of them so they would know them, I was already sold!

True to her word Katie had the quote to me that same morning. This quote included a tailor made package for us given that our wedding was so small (13 guests at the time, now 11) and it also included room rates for us and our guests. All completely within our budget and very reasonable. But it was more than that. They were just so accommodating, no question too small and nothing too much trouble. We asked if we could come down and have a look around which Katie arranged straight away for the following Saturday and although she wasnt there to meet us she arranged for one of the other managers to see us and give us the tour. That is when we met Hettie :-)

We arrived on the Saturday morning full of anticipation and excitment and were greated by concierge and a smiling team on reception who were very welcoming. We took a seat in the main bar area, beautfully decorated and prestine with various staff milling around getting it ready for afternoon tea. Can I just say at this point that the one thing I think says a lot about a hotel is how the staff come across. Sure some are very polite and accommodating, but I am talking about those staff who actually enjoy their jobs and want to be there! The Ruebens staff come across as people who actually enjoy their jobs, want to be there and want to see you!

Hettie came and met with us and again spent a lot of time with us showing us around the hotel, where we would be having our wedding ceremony and reception, answering our constant quesitons and even took the time to show us some of the rooms they have, noting our peferences for decor - she's swesome! She then offered us a coffee and some time to reflect and see if there were any other questions we had but to be honest we had already made our minds up! The hotel is simply beautiful in it's decor but also immaculately clean and you can tell that it would really lend it self to a wedding at any time of the year, but espcially at Christmas time with all the lights and candles. It really will be an intimate and stylish wedding everything you could want!

What was also lovely was that even though Katie was having a well deserved weekend off, she still wanted to know what we thought and had asked that Hettie let her know, which of course she did. We informed Hettie there and then that we couldnt think of anywhere else we would want to have our wedding and by the time we had got on the train to come home Hettie had already emailed us to confirm everything.

We have been back to London this weekend and with our Daughter as she wanted to see the hotel for herself and we have booked to actually stay with them for the night later this month which is when we will meet with the team to go through our menu choices and finer details. Again, nothing has been too much trouble for them.

We have now confirmed our wedding with Katie and the team and shall be married at The Ruebens on the 23rd December this year. Katie emailed our confirmation by sending me the attached photo. On a gloomy Monday morning, I cant tell you how this has made me beam, because it is just typical of the personal touch that this place gives you and the attention to detail.

Suffice to say that we are now incredibly excited about our wedding but more than that, it is the fact that we know we can be without being stressed about it at all, as we know it is all in hand and we have no doubt that the team at The Ruebens will look after us.

If you want to stay in London and want to be in a superb location (this is seconds from Buckingham Palace, with Victoria tube on your doortsep and a short walk to Westminster) and you are looking for somewhere that will really make you feel special, then go to The Ruebens. Personally, I am done now, I will not stay anywhere else again!

Room Tip: Any of them!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katy W
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Katie,

Thank you for your wonderful review. In your experience with us, and in highlighting the personal service that Katie Furlong provided you with, you have captured the essence of what we aim to provide all of our guests as an experience whether staying and visiting The Rubens.

Thank you for taking the time to share such a brilliant experience and we all look forward to welcoming you back for your wedding in December.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

An enjoyable stay with very helpful staff and a great breakfast. Incredible location, proximate to almost every major London destination. Quite a bit of construction right outside hotel, so there may be some delays if one is in a car/taxi. The rooms are very small, so tough to open 2 suitcases at the same time. Par for course in London though. Also crazy expensive - expected in London, but still sticker shocked 3 days after checkout. Overall a very good experience, but not likely to do it again due to price.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing street. Might be a big noisier than rooms facing in, but better than looking at...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EZD92

Thank you for your well received review. I have shared this with my team here, and we are all thrilled to know that you found our breakfast and location as highlights of your stay.

I was sorry that you found London to be expensive. It is true that London is not the cheapest City to spend time in, but hopefully your 3 days here have left you with some special memories of our wonderful City. I feel confident that The Rubens sits within the London Hotel market as really good value for money and guest service too, and I wanted to assure you and all Tripadvisor users that we work hard daily to try and give all of our guest’s maximum value for their money.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our friends came over to visit , not seen them for years. We all stayed at the same hotel. Very comfortable rooms, though a bit of a squeeze in the set up. Our friend walked into tv at night as close to bed. The staff are exceptionally helpful and polite. The hotel is very clean throughout and in a great location. Just a minutes walk from Buckingham Palace. Word of advice, do not eat at the cafe a few doors down. Breakfast was very expensive and very poor. Would recommend.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank rich2pin

Thank you for your review. I was glad to know that you look to have enjoyed your stay and the reunion with your friends. We are very proud of our central location, on the doorstep of Buckingham Palace, and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed this too.

Whilst not within our control, I was sorry to read that you had a poor local cafe experience. I am really happy that you managed to enjoy at least one wonderful Rubens breakfast experience during your stay.

Thank you again for your review.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We loved our stay at the Rubens. We appreciate the attention to detail for our family. Our boys (ages 4, 7, 10) were pampered with gifts and treats and we had a private wing that allowed us to have two connecting rooms and a hallway. The English breakfast was great and the location was perfect. We were able to walk to all of our attractions and dining choices. The entire staff greeted us by name and were very helpful. Great choice and we would most definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shannon W
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at The Rubens. The location, right across the street from the Royal Mews and Buckingham Palace and walking distance to see Billy Elliot and Wicked were great pluses. The real treasure at The Rubens is the service—everyone is just lovely and any request is immediately addressed and with a smile. We felt very special and welcome at The Rubens.

My husband and I and my daughter stayed, so we had two connecting rooms, which is a nice feature. Also, our rooms were very quiet, the beds and bed linens very comfortable, firm and silky soft. The A/C worked like a champ (it was in the 80’s during our trip) and the water pressure for showers was the best we’ve ever had in a hotel. Our rooms were just a bit on the small side. There are bigger rooms available, but our top considerations requested were connecting and quiet.

My daughter is continuing at a University nearby and felt so welcomed by the staff that she is planning on stopping by for lunch and to say hello.

Room Tip: Request what is important to you and the attentive staff will make certain you are satisfied.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank swim-mom123
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had already stayed in 3 other Red Carnation hotels when we checked in here, so expectations were high. They were not only met, but we have now found a new "home" in London.
Check in was smooth. The room was not as big as you might expect a junior suite to be, but otherwise very nice. It was facing a very busy street, but sound proofing was very good. On the negative side, the wardrobe space is very limited, and I do not like that the tray with coffee making equipment and cups is placed at the bottom of the wardrobe, under your hanging clothes, and where other guests might have put shoes and dirty laundry.
I also missed a mini bar, but room service was fast and not too expensive.
Breakfast is served in a nice room with plenty of space. We never experienced any rush and the food selection was good and fresh.
Bars and lounges where also very nice with plenty of space.
The very best about this hotel is the staff. They have a lot of staff, so you never have to wait for anything. All of them are friendly and professional.
So after many years without a favorite hotel in London, we finally found one. We prefer Rubens to the sister property Chesterfield in Mayfair, but this is a matter of taste,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SDtraveller55
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I've stayed in the Rubens at the Palace already several times and I really love this hotel. All the rooms I've seen so far have been very nice and are always clean. Although some rooms are a bit small, they all have their own charm.
What I particularly like about this hotel, apart from its great location, is the excellent service. The staff is super friendly, always happy to help and make their guests feel welcome in the hotel. I will definitely return to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family