“Great Hotel with Lovely Staff”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at The Rubens for the weekend to see Wicked, and we were very impressed by the hotel all round. The staff and services provided were fantastic, with all the staff being very welcoming and helpful. I would really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Harriet96445
Write a ReviewReviews (4,413)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Great hotel! Wonderful, wonderful service! Everyone cared about us; how we were getting along; how they could make our stay better, etc. Just could not have been better. Highly recommended to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank btgUSA
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I got all the help I needed from the very nice and welcomming staff! The hotel is old and traditional with somewhat narrow rooms, but very charming with typical british charm. The hotel serves typical afternoon tea very excelent. I can recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ElisaCR2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Front of house service is great but beyond that some things in the rooms are a little tired or need better attention when cleaning. This is not the first UK hotel I have paid top dollar to stay at yet behind the scenes things are a little tired. We don't seem to be able to do it aswell as the Europeans. I'm sure the hotel inspector from the TV series would rip it apart especially considering the price. I have stayed at much better hotels at half the price in Madrid, Frankfurt and Rome.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank SilverSurfer030871
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I was really sorry to read of your disappointment in your bedroom. It would be really helpful to know which room that you stayed in, and I will try and make contact with you directly and look to address your areas of disappointment. We spend a lot of time and resources on the upkeep, housekeeping and maintenance in all of our public areas and guest bedrooms, therefore making it even more disappointing that we have let you down on this occasion. I have shared your feedback with my Housekeeper and Chief Engineer and use this as a reminder to us all, the importance of staying on top of our housekeeping and maintenances standards.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We recently had a meeting at the Rubens for a couple of days. Overall the hotel is very good. The reception and front door service is excellent. The staff is paying a true attention to each customers standing in the lobby. The bar service is "okay": several time, we asked drinks and snacks. The drinks will arrive without ice when we asked for it and vice versa, then the snacks would arrive 20 min after the drinks.... When we finished drinking. So in my view there is room for improvement. The uniform looks really dated too! Please change their uniform :0)
Overall the deco of the hotel is very dated for European standard (flowery carpets, mahogany wood everywhere (bar, chairs, bedroom etc..),. I think it is trying to be Victorian style but in our view looked dated. However the clientele, while we stayed there, was mainly american and they seemed to love it! ;0) ... So it may be just a matter of taste.
Location is brilliant: near the Victoria station, Buckingham palace and 5min away from covent gardens on the tube. Excellent!!
Overall I would recommend this hotel and would happily go back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pascal G

Thank you for your nice review. I enjoyed reading your praise for our reception and front door/lobby team, many of whom have been with us for a number of years.

I was a little disappointed to see the inconsistencies of our bar service delivered and have spoken to and shared this with my Bar and Lounge Manager. I am sorry for this.

I was also sorry that our traditionally British style did not match your own personal preferences, but despite this you rated your hotel stay and our properties so highly. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back to the Rubens very soon. When booking, please share your reservation preferences with us for a more neutral style of bedroom as I am sure that this will meet with your approval.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited Rubens on 19th April 2014 with my son and as always had a brilliant time. Hotel ticks all the boxes and rooms and restaurant amazing. Staff so courteous and helpful. Location ideal and short walk to tube

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Firstly can I start by saying that I do not write reviews - genuinely! I have purposely joined Trip Advisor to write this so hopefully that will get your attention!

I have worked in London for many years and have been lucky enough to have also stayed on numerous occasions for both business and pleasure and I can honestly say that I have never come across a hotel as lovely as The Ruebens. It is a fantastic hotel by itself, but what really makes it are the people that work here and the attention to detail they give eveything.

For me, it is the personal touch you get from somewhere that makes you want to return again and again and the team at the The Ruebens without exception alway deliver on this.

After a number of stressful months trying to decide on where to get married, my fiance and I threw the towel in and decided that it would be far more intimate if we actually did what we really wanted! So with that in mind we decided we wanted to take our nearest and dearest and 2 chocolate labs to London at Christmas and do it there. We went straight on the web and found The Ruebens at the Palace having searched for pet friendly hotels. First of all we really liked the look of it on the web and the fact that the website itself is easy to navigate, then when we really looked into it and found that they werent kidding they really were pet friendly, we felt we had hopefuly hit the jack pot! Boy had we!

We sent them an enquiry on the Sunday evening which was followed up by a phone call at 9am on the Monday morning when we spoke to the lovely Katie Furlong (Events Sales Manager). I need not have been concerned at all that they might not have got the email, the team were already looking at it and preparing the details for the quote for me! But when Katie then started telling me about the services they actually provide for pets, such as the menu they offer, the dog sitting services and the fact that they could arrange to have a member of their team walk them for us, oh and could I send a photo of them so they would know them, I was already sold!

True to her word Katie had the quote to me that same morning. This quote included a tailor made package for us given that our wedding was so small (13 guests at the time, now 11) and it also included room rates for us and our guests. All completely within our budget and very reasonable. But it was more than that. They were just so accommodating, no question too small and nothing too much trouble. We asked if we could come down and have a look around which Katie arranged straight away for the following Saturday and although she wasnt there to meet us she arranged for one of the other managers to see us and give us the tour. That is when we met Hettie :-)

We arrived on the Saturday morning full of anticipation and excitment and were greated by concierge and a smiling team on reception who were very welcoming. We took a seat in the main bar area, beautfully decorated and prestine with various staff milling around getting it ready for afternoon tea. Can I just say at this point that the one thing I think says a lot about a hotel is how the staff come across. Sure some are very polite and accommodating, but I am talking about those staff who actually enjoy their jobs and want to be there! The Ruebens staff come across as people who actually enjoy their jobs, want to be there and want to see you!

Hettie came and met with us and again spent a lot of time with us showing us around the hotel, where we would be having our wedding ceremony and reception, answering our constant quesitons and even took the time to show us some of the rooms they have, noting our peferences for decor - she's swesome! She then offered us a coffee and some time to reflect and see if there were any other questions we had but to be honest we had already made our minds up! The hotel is simply beautiful in it's decor but also immaculately clean and you can tell that it would really lend it self to a wedding at any time of the year, but espcially at Christmas time with all the lights and candles. It really will be an intimate and stylish wedding everything you could want!

What was also lovely was that even though Katie was having a well deserved weekend off, she still wanted to know what we thought and had asked that Hettie let her know, which of course she did. We informed Hettie there and then that we couldnt think of anywhere else we would want to have our wedding and by the time we had got on the train to come home Hettie had already emailed us to confirm everything.

We have been back to London this weekend and with our Daughter as she wanted to see the hotel for herself and we have booked to actually stay with them for the night later this month which is when we will meet with the team to go through our menu choices and finer details. Again, nothing has been too much trouble for them.

We have now confirmed our wedding with Katie and the team and shall be married at The Ruebens on the 23rd December this year. Katie emailed our confirmation by sending me the attached photo. On a gloomy Monday morning, I cant tell you how this has made me beam, because it is just typical of the personal touch that this place gives you and the attention to detail.

Suffice to say that we are now incredibly excited about our wedding but more than that, it is the fact that we know we can be without being stressed about it at all, as we know it is all in hand and we have no doubt that the team at The Ruebens will look after us.

If you want to stay in London and want to be in a superb location (this is seconds from Buckingham Palace, with Victoria tube on your doortsep and a short walk to Westminster) and you are looking for somewhere that will really make you feel special, then go to The Ruebens. Personally, I am done now, I will not stay anywhere else again!

Room Tip: Any of them!