“Still a Favorite”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, California
“Still a Favorite”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have stayed here before. Clean, comfy and centrally located to Buckingham Palace and the tube station. We stayed in a mini suite, room 405 and although it backs to a main road, we were never bothered by street noise. They have a vertical garden on that side of the building and it insulates the sound. The view was of the courtyard but who cares? When you're in London - you are out and about!
We had drinks at the Leopard Bar- darling.
Breakfast was delicious.
Courteous staff
Slow and small elevators.

Room Tip: I have not stayed on the Palace side but I think it may have more street noise. When I am in my room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kat E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 July 2014

wonderful 4 night stay at the Rubins! Loved the location and the people!! The daily breakfast was great! The service was excellent, everyone went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable! a special thanks to the concierge, I think his name is David, who was so helpful in guiding us around this beautiful city!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trumom99
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
It is wonderful to hear that you liked the location and overall feel of the hotel, and that you felt so well taken care of by my team. They genuinely enjoy looking after all our guests and were thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them.

My team and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband & I just recently returned to our home in Boston, after celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary in London & Paris. It was a wonderful trip. We started out w/ 5 nights at The Rubens at the Palace, which was one of the hotels recommended to us by our travel agent. Anyway, he definitely didn't steer us wrong! We were soooo happy w/ our stay at The Rubens! We felt extremely welcomed from the moment we stepped into the lobby to check in. We were first greeted by Joanna from Guest Services, and then checked into our room at the front desk. The hotel is very small, intimate, and personal. It feels very British & traditional. That is one of the reasons we also chose to stay there. We wanted the experience of an authentic British hotel. We paid for a larger room & were on the 4th floor (I believe). The room was still on the smaller side, but that is to be expected in the UK & Europe, in general. The room was always clean & well kept, so definitely no complaints. The location of the hotel was just perfect for us too. Just a short walk to Buckingham Palace (don't miss the changing of the guard at 11:30am daily), and a really nice walk through St. James's Park, and over to the Jubilee Bridge, the London Eye, and Westminster Pier (where we took a cruise down the Thames to the Tower of London). Everything was quite easily accessible from the hotel. Also, the concierges (David & Alex) were fabulous w/ making recommendations for us, especially on where to eat. They took care of our dinner reservations & never steered us wrong. They were so helpful & pleasant every day. We loved chatting w/ them too. We also really liked Nathan (at the front door). Everyone was so caring & really seemed genuinely interested in how we were doing throughout our stay. As for restaurants, we loved the places recommended by Alex & David. If you enjoy steak & seafood, try "Gaucho" in Piccadilly Circus. We also loved the fish & seafood at "Scott's Seafood Restaurant," and "J. Sheekey's". Hope this reveiew helps! I don't usually write reviews...but loved the people at Rubens so much...that I really wanted to give the positive feedback. We would definitely recommend this hotel, and hope to be back again in the near future!

7 Thank Kimberly G
Dublin, CA
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed at the Rubens for three nights. We had one of the smaller rooms but it was clean, and nicely appointed. The bathroom had a lovely tub.The Hotel is a very old building, and so the floors are creaky, and the elevators are extremely small (like just barely fitting 4 people). The breakfast buffet was nice and had a variety of hot and cold foods to choose from. The lobby had a basket of fresh fruit that guests are welcome to pick from. Staff was friendly and helpful. The bad experience we encountered was at dinner. We had reservations at the Old Master Carvery. The other dining choice is The Library which is a very elegant served dinner. The Carvery is a buffet which boasts Prime Rib roast as well as a roast of the day (it was Pork Roast when we went). When we arrived, we discovered that they had run out of the main entree of meats on their carving table. There were some side dishes still available but very little else. It was very disappointing. As we were told by the servers, there had been 6 reservations for dinner, but then they had a big group that had come in without reservations. The Chef was visibly angry as he tried to scrape what was left of the pork roast, and prime rib roast bones. I am assuming that somewhere along the line, there was a grave miscommunication to the Chef about how many to expect for dinner. I was under the impression you needed to make reservations for dinner: and in any case, I would expect that especially for a buffet, there would be more than enough food prepared to take care of walk in customers..if you are going to accept customers who have no reservations. There was no acknowledgement from the hotel that anything was amiss, although they were well aware of the problem since it was the servers who told us what had happened.
The other misstep was the night before when we asked at the desk where a fish and chips restaurant would be within walking distance. The girl at the desk deferred to the bell hop who directed us to a place that made the best fish and chips. He gave us a map. He said it was within 15 minutes walk from the hotel. 40 minutes later, and still no restaurant. We ended up at Victoria Station and ate at a pub there. The next day when we checked yelp: we found that the place the bell hop recommended was on Wilton Road which is not 15 minutes away by foot.
The Rubens is a stop for the Hop On And Hop Off Bus line so it is very handy. The location of this hotel is right behind the Buckingham Palace stables and it is centrally located. I do not think, however, that we would return. The disaster at dinner killed it for me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane M
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review and thank you for highlighting some of the enjoyed elements of your stay, from our bedroom and housekeeping standards to our selection and offering at breakfast.

I was really sorry to read of your dining experience. Absolutely we should not be over extending ourselves diners wise, and should always be ensuring that we offer a full selection on our Carvery and buffet. I have reiterated this to my Food & Beverage Manager and Chef, and will be keeping a close eye on this personally over the coming weeks.

My apology also for the misdirection’s that you seem to have been given. The really good fish & chip restaurant on Wilton Road is in fact a 15 minute walk, so I am sorry that the directions seem to have taken you the incorrect route. I have checked our maps and directions given here and all looks to direct as they should, but I am sorry for your inconvenience.

Thank you for your compliments on the friendliness and service of our team, and on our excellent location.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Kind Regards,

Malcolm Hendry
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Staying at The Rubens is like coming home. An old hotel built for visiting debutantes while attending royal functions, the Rubens, updated, is in full swing with business and pleasure travelers alike. The Rubens location is convenient being just around the corner from Victoria Station, an 8 minute walk from Buckingham Palace, 13 minutes walk from Westminster Abbey and the War Rooms, and about 2 blocks from the Victoria theatre.

The standard of service is exceptional from check-in to check-out and booking online is easy. If you have any special needs a quick email and it's taken care of. I will always stay at The Rubens when visiting London...oh and the bountiful breakfast is not to be missed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Chichicastenango
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Myself and my husband visited the Rubens for a weekend stay. From start to finish the level of customer service from the staff is top class. The rooms are clean and provide most essential items. The breakfast has a great choice and served in lovely surroundings. We experienced the afternoon tea which was absolutely delightful, a lovely selection of sandwiches, cakes and teas. I can highly recommend the Rubens especially if you are looking for a special treat.
I would like to mention the professional customer relations from the General Manager Mr Malcolm Hendry who made our stay most pleasurable. We will return.

7 Thank 5037775susan
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My boyfriend took me to the London for the first time and we stayed at the Rubens which is literally soooo close to the palace (how cool)! We arrived about an hour earlier than our checkin time but it was not an issue since our room was already available. We stayed in a royal room, "Mary Queen of Scots" , it was very nice, lots of closet space, stocked mini fridge , and a nice hidden tv. The bathroom was spectacular! Spent a lot of time taking selfies in there.

After getting settled we went down stairs where we were once again greeted by the coolest door man, he went out of his way to make sure we knew the easiest routes for our sight seeing adventures. He was really lovely! All of the staff were nice but he stood out the most.

The following morning we were supposed to go to free breakfast but the bed was so comfy we over slept!!
We checked out and left our bags at concierge so that we wouldn't have to carry them around the city while doing our final day of sightseeing
Picked them up around 8:30pm, no problem at all.

Our time there was great and if I'm ever in London again I'll be staying at The Rubens

Room Tip: Choose the royal rooms
4 Thank Daisy R