“If you don't stay at the Rubens don't blame me...”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #72 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Myrtle Beach
“If you don't stay at the Rubens don't blame me...”
Reviewed 16 November 2008

All I can say is thank you. The Rubens is one of the few hotels I've stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot) that not only helped to make our vacation a success, they were actually one of the main reasons our vacation was so enjoyable. Normally when you vacation abroad you basically sleep and maybe eat at your hotel...the rest of the time you are out and about. At the Rubens you really feel like you are coming home each time you return. My wife and I would spend the day sight seeing and exploring London and spent each night sharing our experiences with Vincent and Judith in the bar, May in customer service and the rest of the amazing staff. The room was clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The concierge took care of all of our needs and booked all of our tickets for us, we never even had to leave the hotel to make our arrangements. The Big Bus Tour, which I highly recommend, picks you up directly in front of the hotel. We bought tickets to Wicked while in town and the theater was a 5 min walk from the hotel. There were souvenir shops, grocery stores and plenty of English Pubs within minutes of the front door. To top it off, when you look out your bedroom window you are looking directly at the Palace. Amazing! I honestly can't remember the last time we were made to feel so at home at a hotel. Thank you Vincent, Judith, May, Nadia and the rest of the incredible staff at the Rubens. If you are ever coming to South Carolina, our door is open.

• Liked — The location and the amazing staff.
  • Disliked — there is nothing not to like about the Rubens. If there is something you don't like, I don't like you. :)
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joshandtia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
England
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Stayed here last week in October,as a celebration of our wedding anniversary. The location is super, facing the royal mews. We had a king sized room and the view was of the royal mews it felt really special.
When we arrived our room wasn't quite ready so we were offered a drink in the bar, we opted for a cocktail which was gorgeous (long island tea) .very alchoholic!
our room was great very plush and extremly comfortable bed.I had e-mailed the hotel to say it was our anniversary and they had left a lovely card in our room wishing us well, how lovely of them!
Breakfast was served in the resturant which was superb .All staff really friendly and exellent service would highly recommend, and we will definatly be returning!

• Liked — room comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2040mellor
Leicestershire
Reviewed 31 October 2008

This was an overnight stay for a very special occasion for my aunt. Three of us stayed and had the most fantastic time imaginable. The staff couldn't do enough to help us - especially the concierge team who really made my aunt feel extra special. Afternoon tea was amazing sitting watching the carriages go into the Royal Mews. Cannot praise the hotel and staff enough.

• Liked — cleanliness and helpful staff
  • Disliked — no opinion
  • Stayed October 2007
2 Thank LeicestershireBos
dover
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We have just come back from 2 nights at the Rubens by the Palace hotel. Everything was fantastic, the staff very professional and freindly, in fact we have not got anything negative to say, and we have been to loads of hotels in London. This is the best 4 star we have stayed in.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Graham M
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We stayed at the Rubens by the Palace for 8 nights at the end of September 2008. The hotel is on a busy street, but due to the location, you can walk to two tube locations, Victoria and Green Circle, as well as theatres, Buckingham Palace, The Royal Mews, etc. The hotel rooms are small! I mean tiny! We had a king and the women who checked us in commented on the length of our impending stay and offered to upgrade us, but at a cost we were not willing to pay. The beds are wonderful and the pillows are pure heaven! Complementary bottled mineral and still water is refreshed every day and there are washclothes, tissue and hair dryers in the rooms, not something that other UK hotels provide.

The concierge staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating and the Library restaurant provided one of the best meals of our 2 week UK vacation.

Because I booked through a travel agent friend, I did not get the pre-arrival special needs request that I have seen that other hotel guests have gotten. We were there during a special occasion and would have welcomed an opportunity to do something special for my husband. I guess you need to book directly with the hotel to get that perk, and I was dissappointed.

The lounge and bar were very comfy after a long day of touring touring London's sites and they had a decent wine list, but scanty appetizers. Matthew, a regular waiter in the bar was super great.

Buy an Oyster Card either before you arrive or at Heathrow. That was the bargain of our trip as we were able to go anywhere in London at no additional cost, as often as we wished during a 7 day time frame.

The hotel is an easy walk from Victoria Station, Starbucks and MANY small local dining establishments. I highly recommend this hotel, but perhaps we should have gotten a larger room and paid the extra cost. It would have been more comfortable for such a long stay.

• Liked — comfortable ammenities in sleeping rooms and great restaurant.
  • Disliked — Tiny rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bookchic
Greece
Reviewed 13 October 2008

We stayed at the Rubens at 3/10-5/10.It was our first trip to London and we loved it.The stuff were amazing and extremly helpfull to us(and always happy to answer our millions questions believe me on this).We had a smoking room as we reguest it(THANK YOU).Our room was very very clean.We stayed only for 2 days..and it was wonderfull.Of cource Rubens was on of the things that made this trip amazing!!Special thanks to Mrs.Camilla and the Concierge team!!!See you very soon.......

• Liked — The amazingly friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing it was all perfect!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank GreeceGeorgia
Harare, Zimbabwe
Reviewed 8 October 2008

My sister and I enjoyed a wonderful reunion in London this year. She came from Calgary, Alberta in Canada, and I came from Harare, Zimbabwe. We were celebrating my 50th birthday, and decided to treat ourselves and stay in a special hotel, and visit London's historical sites. The Rubens fulfilled everything we could have wished for and more. We found the staff to be exceptionally caring, and we were lavished with attention! During our six-day stay they got to know us, and were always available for a chat or a laugh with us. Staying at the Rubens felt like home! The food was wonderful, and we particularly liked our evening cocktails in the bar, where delicious bar snacks were provided. We had our favourite position in the lounge, in front of the huge picture window looking out over the Royal Mews, where we were served an amazing High Tea. Our room was compact but very comfortable, and there were many thoughtful touches. This hotel is perfectly situated for theatres, shopping and sightseeing, and I cannot wait to return! Thank you for the stay of a lifetime.

• Liked — The comfort of the beds, and the quality of the bedlinen
  • Disliked — Strange smell of old cigarette smoke
  • Stayed September 2008