“Wonderful weekend”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rhoose
“Wonderful weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2008

Not a bit of wonder that this hotel gets consistently good reviews.
Having booked a weekend (bed and breakfast ), from the moment of our arrival to our departure we enjoyed every minute spent in the hotel. The staff are amoungst the most helpful, efficient and charming you could ever wish to meet and consequently created a most friendly family atmosphere.
Our room was not particularly large but this was more than compensated for by being absolutely spotless and extremely comfortable. Although we booked B&B ( the breakfast was superb and the choice was literally endless ), we were so impressed that we opted to have dinner in the Library on the Saturday evening. Very unhurried and relaxing,the food was of a high standard and it was pleasant to see that diners were requested to turn off mobile phones whilst in the restaurant.
Thoroughly recommended and hopefully if we return to London this is the place we would hope to stay again

• Liked — Staff service, cleanliness, comfort
  • Disliked — Did not dislike anything
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DoofRhoose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (863)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2008

I have stayed at The Rubens on and off since 2002 and it's consistently been an excellent experience. The staff is friendly and professional, which is often not the case in London. You can be assured a great stay.

The Rubens pays great attention to detail. The sheets are great - and being a sheet snob, it's always good to know I'll sleep on good sheets and pillow cases.

Everything is always sparkling clean. They have every amenity one needs when away from home. At a fabulous price most of the time.
And the location is fantastic, as well.

You can't go wrong by staying there.

• Liked — It's relatively quiet and in a safe neighborhood
  • Disliked — The heat was on too high in our room. We had to take apart the radiator to turn it off!
2 Thank PinkyWyoming
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2008

I had a great experience at Rubens at the Palace.
I arrived at the hotel after my long miserable trip - my domestic flight delayed, international flight was canceled and luggage was lost.
The staff at the reception desk was very efficient and friendly.
My single room was small but clean and good size for London. The bathroom was also clean - it seems to have been recently renovated. The concierge was very friendly and helpful to call my airline about the lost luggage. The location was also excellent near the station, restaurants, supermarket and internet cafe.

After one week, I stayed in another hotel in London where I had totally an opposite experience.
I regret that I didn't come back to Rubens!

• Liked — staff
3 Thank HKBKLYN
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

I just spent three wonderful nights at the Rubens at the Palace and loved my stay. The hotel is incredibly nice and perfectly situated right in the middle of everything in London. In terms of location, the Rubens is hard to beat. It is located about 2 blocks from Buckingham Palace and about 2 blocks from Victoria Station, where the nearest tube stop is located. From the Rubens it is an easy 10-15 minute walk to Westminster Abbey and Parliament/Big bean area, a short walk to Hyde Park, a quick walk to the Picadilly Circus area, and with the Tube so close, its incredibly easy to get anywhere in London.

The hotel is very nicely done and the rooms, though small (but that is to be expected in London) have a nice touch of luxury. The staff is incredibly helpful and the service is fantastic, from the front desk at check in, to the staff in the restaurants and everyone else. I purchased the continental breakfast every morning for 8 pounds, which for London isn't bad at all. The breakfast had a very nice assortment of fresh fruits, breads, pasteries, juices, and yogurts and the service was exceptional. Definitely worth it, I think.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — NOthing at all
2 Thank MattR_Chicago
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

All I can say is thank you. The Rubens is one of the few hotels I've stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot) that not only helped to make our vacation a success, they were actually one of the main reasons our vacation was so enjoyable. Normally when you vacation abroad you basically sleep and maybe eat at your hotel...the rest of the time you are out and about. At the Rubens you really feel like you are coming home each time you return. My wife and I would spend the day sight seeing and exploring London and spent each night sharing our experiences with Vincent and Judith in the bar, May in customer service and the rest of the amazing staff. The room was clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The concierge took care of all of our needs and booked all of our tickets for us, we never even had to leave the hotel to make our arrangements. The Big Bus Tour, which I highly recommend, picks you up directly in front of the hotel. We bought tickets to Wicked while in town and the theater was a 5 min walk from the hotel. There were souvenir shops, grocery stores and plenty of English Pubs within minutes of the front door. To top it off, when you look out your bedroom window you are looking directly at the Palace. Amazing! I honestly can't remember the last time we were made to feel so at home at a hotel. Thank you Vincent, Judith, May, Nadia and the rest of the incredible staff at the Rubens. If you are ever coming to South Carolina, our door is open.

• Liked — The location and the amazing staff.
  • Disliked — there is nothing not to like about the Rubens. If there is something you don't like, I don't like you. :)
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joshandtia
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2008

Stayed here last week in October,as a celebration of our wedding anniversary. The location is super, facing the royal mews. We had a king sized room and the view was of the royal mews it felt really special.
When we arrived our room wasn't quite ready so we were offered a drink in the bar, we opted for a cocktail which was gorgeous (long island tea) .very alchoholic!
our room was great very plush and extremly comfortable bed.I had e-mailed the hotel to say it was our anniversary and they had left a lovely card in our room wishing us well, how lovely of them!
Breakfast was served in the resturant which was superb .All staff really friendly and exellent service would highly recommend, and we will definatly be returning!

• Liked — room comfort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2040mellor
Leicestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

This was an overnight stay for a very special occasion for my aunt. Three of us stayed and had the most fantastic time imaginable. The staff couldn't do enough to help us - especially the concierge team who really made my aunt feel extra special. Afternoon tea was amazing sitting watching the carriages go into the Royal Mews. Cannot praise the hotel and staff enough.

• Liked — cleanliness and helpful staff
  • Disliked — no opinion
  • Stayed October 2007