“To be treated like Royalty stay at The Rubens.”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #73 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 March 2009

In October ’08 my husband and I visited London for the first time. When we were planning the trip we were looking for accommodations that reflected some of the history of the area and a place that would give us a true feel of London. Our travel agent, who was born and raised in England, suggested The Rubens Hotel. The Rubens proclaims, “no request is too large, no detail too small.” And we truly experienced this in their hospitality and service. We did not feel like silly Americans when we asked the concierge how to hail a cab. Each day we would return to our room after a full day of touring London and there would be fresh canapés for us, which helped to curb our appetites before dinner. The English breakfast was bountiful and exquisite. From the moment we walked into The Rubens we felt like we had a personal relationship with each staff member we met. If you want to be treated like royalty, when in London, stay at The Rubens Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 March 2009

Stayed for 6 nights at the Rubens at the Palace recently. The room we had for three was rather cramped and the bath was small also. We did get used to it although I wish we had asked if a larger room was available.
Best aspects: Location- walking distance to Victoria tube, Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace & Piccadilly area. Service- staff were very friendly and called us by name and did all they could to make our stay pleasant. Breakfast- the breakfast buffet was served in a lovely room and the choices were plentiful and very good. Eggs were made to order and extra items not found on the buffet could be ordered from the menu at no additional charge. Overall ambiance- the lobby level rooms and the restaurants were decorated beautifully with no evidence of wear and tear. Staff were professional and greeted us warmly.
Wish List: Internet-wish there wasn't an hourly charge to connect to internet Room Size- wish the room had been larger, cramped for three people.
Overall...highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Puppielove
Reviewed 9 March 2009

During my flight to London, I received food posioning. The staff at the Rubens was understanding and compassionate from the minute I arrived. They automatically updated my Mom and my room so that I could have a larger space. They offerred to call a doctor to make a house call. Every 30 minutes someone from the kitchen brought me a bucket of ice, and I was brought amazing chicken noodle soup once I was able to eat. I received multiple phone calls every day by various members of the staff to check on me. I was so humbled and amazed at the amazing service I received and will never stay anywhere but the Rubens.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank believeinyou
Reviewed 6 March 2009

The Rubens is absolutely wonderful! We enjoyed our stay. The hotel staff is extremely courteous and helpful. Hotel Chef is superb! Breakfast is excellent particularly the fresh squeeze orange juice, as well as the afternoon English tea. Kudos to the concierge staff. Went out of his way to reserve airline seats for our departure flight! We recommend this hotel to all travelers!
KVDC

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KVDC
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My daughter and I stayed at Rubens in February 2009 for 3 nights. We had an enjoyable and relaxing time. 99.9% of the staff were ever so helpful, courteous and friendly (w/the exception of a seemingly disgruntled cleaning lady). Our package came with a full breakfast each morning which was served in the very impressive Old Masters dining room with fabulous stations of food and beverages. What a wonderful breakfast buffet! Our room was a superior King bed decorated in a lovely striped and floral English country theme. The bathroom was beautiful as well, although getting in and out of the bathtub was a bit of a challenge for my 5' 2" frame -- apparently designed for taller people. The hotel's location is right across the Royal Mews and a short walk to Buckingham Palace. Also close by are your favorite London attractions, e.g., the London Eye, Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, among others. The tube station is close by and cabs are always readily available. On our first day, we enjoyed afternoon tea at the Palace Lounge overlooking The Royal Mews and sat at a table by the windows as we sipped our tea, munched on our finger sandwiches and pastries, and watched the passersby. On our last night, after dinner and theater, we spent some time at the lovely and cozy Cavalry Bar where we sat in front of the fireplace as we sipped our Cosmopolitan drinks. All in all a memorable experience. I would definitely recommend and return to the Rubens. One slight area of improvement is the cleaning services at the room. Hotel staff was very nice to ask if our room was cleaned satisfactorily, and I did mention that our bathtub was not cleaned as well as it should have been since I still saw a bit of my footmarks there. They did come and clean it afterwords to my satisfaction. I also noticed that when they cleaned the room, the did not really tidy up and put away a few things that were scattered on top of the table -- another point of improvement for this otherwise phenomenal hote.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank indicat
Reviewed 24 February 2009

This is my second visit to this hotel and chose a kingsize room as London hotel rooms can be on the small size. I love the location of this hotel just a short walk from Victoria station and no changes on the tube from Euston. The dining room for breakfast is very spacious and grand and the food is delicious. There are no problems leaving luggage on day of departure and the staff are attentive but not intrusive. Will be returning as my daughter works just round the corner . There is an excellent shopping centre in Cardinal Place on Victoria Street, and the Queen's Gallery opposite is a real treat.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Heathcote
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I can only praise the management and staff of The Rubens at the Palace. The hole staff from the top to the bottom were really helpfull in every way, considering the time of year (one week before christmas). No matter what you were looking for, they did it with great gusto and always with a smile. Nothing was to much, no matter what your request was. I would recommend this hotel to anyone from anywhere in the world, you will receive the same welcome as we did. This is the second time that my wife and I have stayed at the Rubens and will stay their on our next visit to London.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family