The Rubens at the Palace
US$440
US$400
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$199
  • Restaurant
Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo(London)(Great Value!)
US$222
US$258
US$236
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$158
US$131
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$186
US$169
US$475
Travelocity
  • Pool
4,483 results
All reviewsbuckingham palacevictoria stationlibrary restaurantafternoon teaold masterscavalry barred carnationjames parkking roomfull english breakfastconcierge deskwonderful hotellovely roomgreen parktrafalgar squarebig benlocation was perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 July 2009

The Rubens certainly met our expectations and was a great location from which to base our visit to London. The rooms are beautifully decorated and our room had a window which opened onto the Royal Mews. Yes, the rooms are small by any standard, and the floors a bit creaky but the staff are great, it's clean and comfortable, and the location simply can't be beat (the hop-on/hop-off bus is outside your door - and yes, you really are at Buckingham Palace). Value for money is tops.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We reviewed a lot of hotels in London for our 4-day stay and selected the Rubens due to the TripAdivsor reviews. Great choice. It has a fantastic location. Within walking distance of both Buckingham Palace, Victoria Station, and many other attactions. The proximity to Victoria Station was important. Took the Underground and train everywhere we needed to go. Including the airport.
We booked a package deal with them that included their breakfast buffet and a picnic lunch. Took the lunch to Hyde Park. The package also included free internet access.
Did not eat dinner at their restaurants so we can not comment on them but their menus looked good.
The room was very quiet with no noise from ajoining rooms or the outside. Unfortunately it was not very sound-proof to the hallway, and the people near us stomped back and forth between their party's rooms numerous times.
Due to the uncommon heatwave in London the end of June, the room air conditioning kept us comfortable.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Quickly bringing us bottled water and ice upon our return each day.
All in all a great choice in London.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I have recently returned from my fifth visit to 'The Rubens' and I can honestly say it just gets better every time.There is no need to reside at Buckingham Palace because at The Rubens everyone is treated as royalty with the addition of extreme friendliness and superb professional service.Russunderland.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2009

I am originally from London, but have spent my life nearly exclusively outside of the UK. I am quite familiar with London in general, but still feel like a bit of a tourist when I return, especially with my American accent.

I had been all over the UK many times, but my American wife had not, so we decided to drive from London up the east coast of England, up to Inverness at the top of Scotland, and back down the west coast.

Unfortunately we ended up not having time to spend driving down the west coast at a leisurely pace, so I drove straight from Glasgow to London.... not an easy drive.

We arrived back in London at about 4am on the subsequent morning and drove around the city looking for a place to stay, not having a chance to plan a place to stay on the abbreviated drive back down to London and not being used to driving in London (am a Tube traveller), I quickly got tired of wandering around the city getting myself lost.

During the course of my wanderings, I saw a sign for Victoria Station and figured there had to be a hotel nearby, so we headed that direction. We quickly came across the Rubens, and I wandered in looking admittedly haggard and unwashed.

At the desk, reception was very professional but a bit cold. I wanted to check in for a stay through the next night, but they were going to charge me for 2 nights even though it was already almost 5am the next morning at that point.

After a bit of haggling, and the emergence of the manager, it came out that they would only charge me for 1 night, but they only room they had was one of the premier suites at about $450/nt.

Whether or not this was a ploy to get me to make up the cost of not paying for both nights or to deter me from staying, I have no idea.... I mean, they had a dirty looking American wandering into this very nice, old world and very old school English hotel at 4am complaining about paying for a room, so I don't really blame them whatever the motivation.

That is not a price I would normally agree to, but I was tired, it was a fantastic location, and did not have it in me to get lost some more to find someplace cheaper (which would at best maybe save me a hundred or so a night and at that moment, I was more than willing to cough up the $100+ difference for sleep immediately.)

I said "ok, that's fine... whatever, I am not worried about the money, just don't want to pay for a nights worth of a stay when it is almost over anyway."

As soon as those words left my mouth, instantly all attitudes changed. Warmth and graciousness abounded, which I noted at the time with slight amusement which only became more amusing the next morning, but I will get to that.

My wife and I got up to the room, which was very nice in the old school British sort of way... very, very nice appointments with odd layouts in buildings with narrowish corridors and shorter cielings/doorways. Not cramped in anyway, but decidedly cozy.

The building was old and was obviously built without a hotel in mind.

As for the room, the bed was fantastic, the sheets were great, the room was luxurious in the traditional British vein of interior decoration... lots of brass, dark woods, mismatched yet complimentary fabrics. The bathroom was very large, but this was one of the "better" suites, so I am not sure what the other rooms look like.

At about noon or so when I woke up, I wandered over to the window and flung open the curtain. I peered out the window and discovered a view overlooking the Royal Mews (the stable that furnished the horses for the guards at Buckingham Palace). I picked up the brochure on the table and found out that the hotel was a stones throw to Buckingham Palace, adjacent to Victoria Station (major train and tube hub) and just about as convenient as a location gets in London. Talking to my wife, we decided to stay the subsequent 3 days at the hotel even at the elevated price. It was worth it to reduce the stress of finding somewhere else and for the convenience.

I was promptly greeted at the elevator in the lobby by the same manager that had checked us in... with the utmost warmth and respect, and by name no less (which I noted with even more amusement especially considering the events that morning.)

I returned the greeting with a smile and being the consummate manager he was, he asked if all our needs were catered to properly and if we wished to extend our stay. When I told him we had decided to stay longer, he quickly made the arrangements (almost gleefully in that sort of professionally reserved English manner.) He even arranged for one of the bellmen to return my rental car for me so that I did not have to mess with London traffic.

What ensued was probably one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had.

The quiet, respectful, efficient professionalism of the staff is quite amazing. While there, you may not ever notice any of it, but that is the point of the traditional British approach to service. It was amazingly well done. (think Anthony Hopkins in "Remains of the Day.")

The restaurant in the level below the lobby was wonderful as well. Great food, with wonderfully classic English appointments (much like the rest of the hotel.)

If you can deal with the cost, I highly recommend this hotel.

The location is about a convenient as it gets, the service is perfect (I do mean perfect), the rooms are great, and the restaurant was very good.

All in all, a true gem that I hope never abandons its roots in traditional English service.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Stayed for a weekend theatre break with my granddaughter. The hotel is opposite Buckingham Palace Mews and is close to Victoria Tube station. The twin room we were allocated was light and clean, the reception staff and the concierge were all very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent and served late on Sunday morning. I would recommend this hotel for a stay in London.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family