“PERFECT LOCATION. SMALL ROOM.”

The Rubens at the Palace
Ranked #77 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 July 2010

My wife & I stayed at the Rubens in May 2010 and prebooked and received a good rate. The hotel is perfectally located right around the corner from Buckingham Palace and very close to Victoria tube station. The room (Superior King Room) was quite small (and was actually the smallest of all our rooms all across Europe). It was very clean and well presented though. The staff were very very helpful and the food in the restaurant was very nice.

For the price, I would recommend this hotel mainly because of its location, staff and cleanliness. The only thing that let it down was the size of the room.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fred_Hill

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We spent three nights at Rubens prior to a cruise in June. The staff was really great, very nice and very helpful. The location, if you are doing the tourist high spot thing like we were, can't be beaten. The rooms were a bit small by American standards but certainly not a problem. Great place!

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed here for one night in June 2010 on a business trip. The welcome by the people on the reception desk was second to none. The staff really were incredibly friendly and efficient. As one lady checked me in, another came over to welcome me and explain the facilities in the hotel. I was given a complimentary voucher for a drink at the bar, which was a really nice touch.

The room itself was lovely - not huge by any stretch, though very conformable and well appointed. The bathroom was spotless. My room overlooked the back gates of Buckingham Palace - an impressive view. Although the road outside was very busy, I cant say that I noticed the noise from the traffic at all - I expect the windows are well sound-proofed.

The hallways and stairwells in the hotel do smell oddly musty - but this is in no way representative of the hotel as a whole.

The location of this hotel is excellent. I walked back to the hotel from Piccadilly Circus - via the Mall - very nice - and only about 20 minutes.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed here for 2 days to attend a Palace Garden Party. It was perfect, 2 mins to the palace front gates and lots of action opposite the hotel which was a side entrance to the palace. Room had secondary glazing so it was very quiet. Staff really friendly and food excellent. Rooms very traditional and comfortable. Very close to Victoria station so handy for travelling and also Apollo Theatre where we saw "Wicked." Within walking distance of Hyde Park, Green Park and St James Park , Westminster Abbey, Covent Garden, Leicester and Trafalgar Squares, Piccadily Circus, Harrods and Knightsbridge, Regent Street shops-we walked to all these places. It cost £15 in a taxi to Kings Cross which took 30 mins - taxis are readily available if you don't fancy walking. Hotel well worth a visit.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Stayed at the Rubens for 5 days in June. Great location, accomodating staff and concierge, very nice afternoon tea. Our room was clean and spacious. Would highly recommend and will stay again!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I stayed at the Rubens in mid-June and it was a fantastic experience. I'd just spent a week touring the Cotswolds and wanted to end my stay in the UK with some luxury. The Rubens was an excellent way to do that!

As a solo traveler, I felt safe at the Rubens, since they have staff in the lobby 24/7. This is important to me, since I don't want to feel like I'm about to be jumped at my hotel. Additionally, the staff at the Rubens were very, very accommodating when I asked about the contents of the package I purchased. I reserved the "Royal Day Out" package, which is a package for 2 people and included a tour of the Royal Mews, the Queen's Gallery and Afternoon High Tea. I asked the hotel if, since I was a solo traveler, they would consider giving me two Afternoon High Teas, since there wasn't a 2nd person in my party to enjoy the meal and they happily agreed to my request.

The Afternoon High Tea was spectacular, especially as you sit in a lovely room overlooking Buckingham Palace Road and the Royal Mews. Breakfast was served in a lovely dining room and the service was impeccable. Breakfast is served as a buffet and there were many choices of breakfast foods, including the makings of a full English Breakfast (num!).

My room was overlooking Buckingham Palace Road, but there was no traffic noise, due to the double windows installed in the room. The bathroom was well equipped and looked to be recently remodeled. There is free internet connection in the rooms and water (still and sparkling) as well tea and coffee are available. The bed was comfortable and the TV had many channels to choose from.

The Rubens is only a short walk from Victoria Station (train and Tube station) so it was very easy to get around the city. The doorman can also get a taxi for you quickly if you need one.

I highly recommend the Rubens for anyone who wants to treat themselves to a wonderful hotel in London.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed in the one bedroom apartment, which was just around the corner from the Rubens Hotel, for the first week of our European honeymoon. Highly recommended.
Liked:
Fantastic central location adjoining Buckingham Palace grounds - just a step to all the central London sites, and convenience of restaurants, pubs, tube station, grocery store etc on the doorstep.
Whisper quiet at night - would never know you were in the middle of the city
Extra space - Larger than a hotel room, with small but functional kitchen and laundry facilities. Ideal for a week-long stay
Concierge facility at hotel - very helpful
Could improve:
The hotel sent a pre-registration form asking about any special occasions, drinks preferences, etc. We took the time to complete it, but although we advised that it was our honeymoon, and both my husband's and my birthdays during our visit, there was no acknowledgement. We didn't expect anything until we received the pre-registration form - if special occasions are going to be ignored, why ask about them?
Overall, a quality apartment in a great location.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple