Just spent 5 nights at the Rubens in two rooms with my wife and kids. I've had great luck with hotels recommended by other TripAdvisor travellers but this time I just don't get it. There is not a single way in which I would rate this ahead of any Courtyard by Marriott that I have ever stayed in.
The rooms were decent sized, and the wifi worked, and the location was fine, but not great.
On the other hand.... the rooms were aging, there was bird poop dripping down the
windows, we had various small issues with housekeeping and electricity that were frustrating at best to resolve, and the attitude of the staff was usually disinterested. Most
annoying was the fact that we booked rooms on-line with free breakfast, but when we
arrived they said that the computer should not have allowed us to do that, it should have said " Sunday only." We showed them the print out, which clearly stated "Daily English Breakfast" and they agreed it was their mistake, but would not budge. Honestly, the "Full
English Breakfast" that we'd been promised on-line was not very good, and I would have
been happy with a free continental breakfast (which probably would have amounted to them springing for two boxes of cereal, some juice and tea for the four days) and I am completely amazed that any hotel would decline to even offer that small bit. Although we did end up eating way better breakfasts elsewhere.
By the way, the day we did eat breakfast in the dining room, we watched the egg cook start a small fire by trying to clean the grill with paper napkins. When other staff rushed over he said that one of the customers had left the napkins on the stove.
Again, there were some positives, but I am finding it hard to understand what folks are seeing to give this hotel such a lofty rating. They mentioned at one point that they try to cultivate high ratings on Tripadvisor, so maybe there's some sort of selection bias. The rooms are fine, but a bit worn; the service and amenities are all below almost any hotel I've stayed in in the past 10 years.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Traditional, Edwardian-era hotel, originally built as a debutante hostel for nearby Buckingham Palace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your The Rubens at the Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rubens At The Palace Hotel London
- Rubens At The Palace London
- Rubens Palace