“Regents Park hotel”

Ranked #292 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Malmo, Sweden
“Regents Park hotel”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Melia White is on the south-east corner of Regents Park, close to the Regents Park underground. I stayed in a "classic" room and classic means that there is room for a queen size bed and not so much more. The breakfast has all the standard stuff including the guy making pancakes and omelettes. It´s a busy place, grab a coffe&toast and away. If you follow Marylebone High Str, there are plenty of breakfast places that offer more for less than the 15£ you pay at the Melia.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Dear mrmarklar,

Thank you for choosing the Meliá White House for your stay.

I am sorry to see that your experience with us was not to your entire satisfaction. Allow me to suggest one of our superior room type categories for your future stays (i.e. our executive rooms, The Level) that offer more spacious accommodation and a wide range of additional benefits, as I feel that these would better suit your requirements.

Please let me know when you will be next in London and the Meliá White House. This would give me the opportunity to personally take care of your stay.

With best wishes
Guest Experience Manager - Meliá White House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Hotel was shocking. !! Didn't relies it was extra £25 each for breakfast . Then I was charged twice for my stay which I feel is a lot of money as could of had a decent hotel for what I have paid out . Very hard to understand what they are charging you for cause I didn't understand there accent's. Never ever again now I have to wait up to 2 weeks for my money back that was taken out twice so I would not stay there not joking either !!!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Pink136

Thank you for choosing the Melia White House for your last stay in London and I am really sorry to see that we left you with such bitter feelings.

I look forward to your reply to my message via tripadvisor. Your feedback will be of extreme value to us in order to investigate the incident further and to ensure that such service shortfall will not reoccur.

In the meantime please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I look forward to hearing from you

With kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed in the Melia when I booked a "top secret" hotel deal via Lastminute.com and I was extremely pleased with what I got, as you don't get to know your hotel name until it's all paid for and confirmed.
As Melia is a Spanish owned hotel group, most of the staff here are Spanish and were all very friendly and helpful during my stay. The only downside was arriving in the lobby to see a couple of rather long queues of people waiting to check in and out, but they speeded up the process and I was seen to quickly. The lobby decor is lovely, very stylish and trendy. I stayed during Halloween weekend and they had balloons with Halloween theme and pumpkins lit up on the tables in the bar and it looked really good.
My room was actually upgraded to a better room up from just a standard room, which was a relief, because I've heard that the standard rooms here are very small. My room had a comfortable double bed, large working desk area, but a tiny bathroom, which was the only downside. Housekeeping staff provide almost every needed item for free of extra charge. Toothbrushes, razors, sewing kits, cotton wool make-up removing pads, etc. Tea and coffee is free in the rooms. I also got a small fridge for my food, because you can't put your own items in the mini bar.
The hotel is located just across the road from Great Portland Street tube station and close to a lot of bus stops, plus Warren Street and Euston are easy walking distance away. There are various cafes nearby, Starbucks, Pret A Manger and a sushi and noodles place, but be aware that these cater for all the office workers in Regent's Place and are closed during weekends. It's best to go across to Great Portland Street station and there is a Tesco Direct a 24 hour supermarket/convenience store and a few cafes there that are open at weekends.
The bar at the Melia services really good cocktails and is open until very late (I think they told me until 1.30am). It was very busy on a Friday night. I didn't have breakfast or eat in the restaurant, so no idea what the food is like.
I would definitely stay here again, got a great deal and would recommend it. 24 hour No. 27 bus from Camden town stops across the road, too, which was ideal for me as I had to be at an event in Camden until late.

Room Tip: Ask before booking one of the standard single rooms, as you might get a bathroom that is barely spac...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear SophieCalifornia,

Thank you so much for your most kind comments and especially those with regards to our staff.

We are delighted to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Manchester
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We stayed over the Melia on a Saturday night in November and were impressed with the fantastic location of the hotel, minutes walk from Regents Park, and the price (£115 a night).

The lobby is big and impressive, lots of marble and filled with fresh lilies so the scent was lovely. The rooms were well appointed and a decent size with good amenities. The bar area was nice and a good place for a pre-dinner drink. They had live guitar music so the atmosphere was nice.

We ate at their restaurant, The Place, the Mediterranean buffet, where we had a £15 voucher for booking online so this only cost us £9 a head. The food was fantastic and much better than expected, a 4 course buffet consisting of canapes, cheese, cold meats, salads, lamb, fish, vegetables, rice as well as an extensive array of desserts. Very very impressed!

Would stay here again when in London.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear snurton123,

Thank you so much for your most kind comments and for choosing the Melia White House whilst in London.

We are very thrilled to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

With our best regards

London
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We had a bit of a mixed bag stay at the Melia White House. On arrival we were greeted by wonderfuly friendly reception staff and were told that we were upgraded to a superior double room which was lovely. The reception area and corridors were very clean and and well presented with lovely displays of lillies! We only stayed the one night as we were attending a function in London (brilliant location for Regents Park tube!) but it was very enjoyable.
However it was marred slightly by the service in the bar when we returned for a drink. We were ignored for a number of minutes whilst 4 staff chatted at the till. Eventually one member of staff sauntered over and served us but it felt like we have hugely inconvenienced her by ordering a drink. We felt unwelcome and did not stay long.
I have worked in a customer service role for a number of years so I understand that you can catch someone at a bad moment and it's not a reflection on the rest of their performance. Other than that however, we had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay and I would recommend Melia White House again.

Room Tip: There sounds like there is a big jump from a double to a Superior double room. But I would recommend...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Stefan_CLondon,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for choosing the Melia White House whilst in London.

I am sorry to see that your experience at the bar was not to the high standards of service we endeavour to deliver at all times and thank you for sharing this with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions and offer you a pleasant experience consistently in all the areas and outlets of the hotel.

Labrador City, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Our party of 8 stayed at the Melia White House in Oct of this year for four nights while we waited for our transatlantic cruise to commence from Southhampton. It was the first time in London for most of our group and we sure appreciated the central location of this hotel. It's within walking distance of many historical sites but is also only a block away from the Tube. You can go anywhere in central London in minutes by travelling on the Tube. The hotel had a complimentary buffet-style breakfast which was excellent and had everything you would want for your morning meal. We all ate a hearty breakfast each day and lasted until supper for our next meal. As well, the Hotel had a free 1/ 2 hour of internet service each day which isn't advertised but also came in handy. When we head back to London in the future we'll certainly be staying at this Hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank florapeter
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Dear florapeter,

We are delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Stayed 3 nights in the Melia White House with my husband - we had intended to stay 6 but checked out early as it was one of the most awful hotels we have ever stayed at. The lobby looks lovely but don't be fooled - the rooms were small and cramped, and poorly designed for such a tiny space. Our bathroom smelled horrific - mould and mildew. In fact, the whole hotel smelled stale. Comments about it being in need of a refurb were incorrect.

Lots of noise from the hallways and room next door. Honestly, we tried to stay out all day in order to avoid going back.

I will give credit where credit is due to friendly staff. But although our rate was cheap, it was really awful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
ypp, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 21 November 2011
Deaer alimarie1502

Thank you for your kind comments with regards to our staff. I am really sorry to see that the room allocated was not to your satisfaction. I am pleased to inform you that we are in process of refurbishing our rooms and expect to do so by middle 2012. Allow me to suggest our Superior room types for your next visits, which are more spacious and might better suit your needs.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future. In the meantime I wish you all the best.

With kind regards