“Good & Bad”

Ranked #292 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Good & Bad”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I cant really make up my mind about the White house,The room wasn't worth £700 for the 3 night's that's for sure, we paid for an upgrade goodness knows what our first room looked like! because our's was very small clean but worn! The bed was so hard i didn't sleep at all on the first night however after i complained they did add a mattress topper which helped, and if you ever go PLEASE take a hairdryer! They have a yellow box on the bathroom wall that was totally rubbish, I've traveled all over the world and have never seen anything so antiquated, But once again i complained & they got me for the duration of my stay, The desk staff were very helpful & polite cant say the same for the staff at breakfast! or the food, Sadly one of the worst breakfasts I've ever had, the food was of poor quality and whoever is cooking it wants sacking, the bacon was like shoe leather as were the eggs! most of it was cold,etc,etc. and we found not all of the staff but a lot of then rude and unhelpful!

It was a good location regarding noise though for a city hotel there was very little traffic noise, however the walls are very thin we could almost hear every word next door said, again we were lucky because we only had neighbours for the 1st night,

It's a good 15min walk from the hotel to Oxford st mind you it's also right across the rd from portland underground.

I booked this hotel due to good reviews but we wouldn't stay there again, more because it wasn't worth the money though,

Room Tip: I asked for a quite room and i got it, i also ask for the top floor,
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
As our clients’ satisfaction is extremely important for the entire team, we take good note of all of your comments in order to improve our service, in particular our breakfast both in terms of food and service.
We hope to welcome you again soon in order to satisfy all your requests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (720)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Returned to "the white house" on a business trip. Service was excellent. Room was top class.
Location is perfect , next to tube and Regent's Park.

Room Tip: Stay on "The Level"
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Eam77
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I quite often stay here on business and find it really convenient as the office is just a 2 minute walk from this hotel. Although the location of this hotel is convenient for me when working from the London office, I find it's in the middle of nowhere. You either have to walk for 20 minutes to get to a decent restaurant or get the tube. The standard rooms are really quite small and the bathrooms too. The superior rooms are more spacious and I should imagine the deluxe rooms are bigger still. I find the beds are quite comfy, but I like firm mattresses. The pillows could be a bit firmer. I've only ever ordered room service as I usually arrive quite late and I've not been that impressed with the food. It's nice, I just expected it to be a bit better for the price you pay. I like to try something different when I stay away from home. The breakfast though is very nice. You have a large selection, full English breakfast, continental, yogurts, fresh fruits etc. I do like having breakfast at this hotel. The hotel has concierge service and they're always more than happy to help you with your bags or calling you a taxi. I try to use the gym if I arrive early enough, which is good enough, not a massive amount of equipment but sufficient. Although this hotel is nice, I probably wouldn't pay to stay here with my own money, not with the prices they charge anyway.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments.
We take good note of all of them in order to improve our service, even though we have to admit your comment about location surprises us especially as that is one of the obvious benefits of the Melia White House, as it is located only 15 minutes from Oxford Circus, right next to Regent’s Park.
We hope you will reconsider the Melia White House for your next stay in London and we look forward to welcoming you again in order to satisfy all your requests.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I like this hotel it has plenty of varieties of food, drinks & dessert for breakfast. Love the fresh fruits especially & the yummy yogurt. Another special thing of this hotel is the lifts, each one will only stop at the designated floors, where some find them a bizarre, i like it in a way they are efficient & reduce time waiting when there is big group minus the chaos of squeezing.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joanna L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The Melia is perfectly located next two two tube stations and the Regent Park - which means you can see some of London's prime real estate while just walking home. Rooms are solid, staff is excellent. There are some strange touch points...they encourage recycling, even in the room but when you have laundry done, the presentation is a good as Harrods or Asprey with tissue and boxing.
Older guests will need to ask for a room with good lighting. The bathrooms can be tricky with lighting.
The STAFF should be awarded everyday. Having stayed several times, including a very early morning when the hotel alarm system went off and we all filed out in order and back in - the STAFF is what makes the nice hotel a wonderful hotel.
Check the rate on their site and any other site you use as their site is often better value.

Room Tip: I don't even know if they have a spa - cannot get the SPA click to go away...apologies to the ho...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stylelust
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Having booked a top secret hotel deal through a well known Internet company we were thrilled when we saw the pictures of our hotel online. We were even more impressed when we arrived. The staff at this hotel were extremely welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel is of a high class standard, the rooms are comfortable and it is conveniently located right near Great Portland Street tube station. We really enjoyed our stay and would most definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Galesa7
Berkshire
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed here on business over a year ago and I wouldn't use this hotel again.

I was supposed to be in a deluxe room, but due to a computer error I was placed in a standard room, which was inadequate. The bathroom was tiny, the room was noisy due to being near the lifts, the decoration was dated and the room had a strange odour.

A real negative, was the fact that not all staff at the hotel spoke sufficient English to enable me to communicate properly with them.

The bar drinks and food were over priced.

Room Tip: As far away from the lifts as possible!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Queneth_Veneth
Melia W, Manager at Melia White House, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
We would like to apologise for the computer error that occurred to your booking and that definitely changed your experience with us.
We take good note of your feedback in order to improve our service and the quality of it. Kindly contact directly the Guest Experience Department for your next stay as we look forward to welcoming you again and provide you all the best of our service.